Regarding Bigglesworth

Many of you would have seen my post about cowboy attitudes in aviation. I used Bigglesworth's incidents as an example. My motives were pure - to warn those new to flying and reading his posts about the dangers of believing you are bulletproof.

However, it was wrong of me to do so without talking to him first. I couldn't convince myself I had done the right thing so I deleted the thread.

I have since corresponded with him and I believe we have made our peace - he was very gracious about it.

My facts were basically right, although he says there have been only 4 incidents and there were extenuating circumstances in each. He knows I still think he is a cowboy (he even wears the hat), but he doesn't wish to have these incidents discussed in public.

The point about the general attitude getting you into trouble still stands, but it was wrong of me to use Bigglesworth as an example without consulting him.

Sorry.

Ross

PS BW - glad to see you back on the forum last night. We hope Cowboy Up is repaired and flying again soon. Then we can worry about you all over again.

Thanks Ross,

I probably don't deserve an apology: I did things my way and paid the price. And you're right that no-one should follow my example.

No matter what I say, the figures prove me wrong.

Unless you add it up like I do: I've had heaps of fun with that plane, and never got injured.......Thats better than bull-riding. And I mean to give that a go someday soon....

And sometimes, you can't control everything and you get a genuine mishap.....

Some interesting comments here, and a picture, I took the cowl off to check the motor, it didn't fall off, only snapped one piece of tube on a very bumpy, soft beach.....

Aslings plane crash - Local News - News - General - Magnet

The sad part follows......

I patched it up (fixed it with expert advise) that night/next morning and was still going to make Avalon.

Ground ran the engine for 2 hours, and was fine. Jabiru told me it was pretty sure that it was fine.

Took off from the workshop strip (a one-way strip in bad wind, out is easy, in.......) to get 15 mins to Frogs or Merimbula where I could circle for a while to test the motor a bit more......

3 minutes and she started missing and losing power........ Sh*t. Had to come back, no option. In a crosswind, and (now I'm sure) turbulent final, and short strip.

Just as I was worried about being too fast on final, she dropped. Totally.

I'll spare the details, but ended up landing 30 degrees to straight, which did a little bit of damage (main wheels didn't come off....) but the worst was that that path took me off the strip into the fence......

Wiped out a starpost or 2, but only minor dents in the wing.

Now: I've told you the story, please don't respond with ideas about why the motor went again: I know a lot more clues I haven't put here and still am not sure. Will get professionally stripped, then I'll find out.

BTW, I still feel sorry for the poor blokes at Avalon: that must have been a lot worse. At least I only have to check out a motor, and less than $1000 and a bit of time.

And Mick Poole wants to give me a flight review to make sure its not my skill thats lacking. I'm as interested as you to find out.

And Mick, if your reading this: I'll get the reports to you soon, but work piled up here while I was away.

I still can't work out the appologies... haven't I proved that everyone's comments were justified?

Its not a sore point, you may call me crazy whenever you want......

My sister wrote about this:

You're an outrageously crazy person ,but somehow manage to get away with it Genius!!! Done well though. :)

I still can't work out the appologies... haven't I proved that everyone's comments were justified?Its not a sore point, you may call me crazy whenever you want......

My sister wrote about this:

Not apologising for your mistakes just apologising for my XXXX stirring. I am glad it all turned out ok. Just remember mate you will have some wild stories to tell ya kids oneday.

Everyones points were justified, but we would all prefer you to be alive to realise that.

Guest Brett Campany

This is what I appreciate about the members of this forum, there is a level of maturity and knowledge and that's where beginners like myself need to read and absorb so we can learn from others, whether it be a mistake or general mishap.

I'm glad you're ok Biggles and even more happier than no one has been personally attacked for anything said on the previous thread.

Look forward to seeing you back in the air mate.

Guest palexxxx
Hey, you know they might have called you a "barnstormer" 80 years ago!036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

I don't think he needs anymore encouragement :hittinghead:

Guest drizzt1978

Regarding Bigglesworth <----- Its like a title to a book, Perhaps telling the untold story Of Captain We Johns....