Tecnam questions

Lowflyer

I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea what the brake disk pads on the Tecnam P92 may be off.

I am told by a fellow P92 owner that the pads are only available from Italy. Just wondered if there may be an equivalent item available in the U.K.

Also I had a look at my rotor arms on the Jabiru 2200 and they seem a bit sloppy.

I would like to put new ones in, and wonder if anyone may know what else this distibutor fits possibly in the car world so that I may be able to get the rotor arms from an automotive dealer.

Thanks Roly.

• 4 weeks later...

They are made by a company called Marc Ingegno in Italy for Tecnam...if thats any help.

Check this link....

http://www.marc-ingegno.it/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=12&Itemid=53&lang=en

Would be surprise if the Tecnam agent in the UK could not supply a set of brake pads??

To the best of my knowledge, the calipers are specifically designed for light aircraft use only.

The pads are expensive in OZ due to our currency but would not expect to pay too much in the UK??

Cheers

Re P92 Brake Pads

Many thanks for your reply to my email question.

I gather they are amazingly expensive to import from Italy as a friend has just done this.

He must have got them from the supplier you mentioned.

He said that they were off a Vespa scooter, so hope to see if I can source some over the internet.

Some hope !!??

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Kindest wishes.

Roly (starting to get to know my new plane a bit better) !!!

Roly

The other option is to have the backing plates relined...I know where I can get it done here thru a contact in the auto brake biz....you would have to ring around or search the net for suitable brake shops that reline and give advise on suitable pad material etc.

I know someone here who had pads made, but they are too hard ( I tried them) and don't work as well as the originals....hence my advise to talk to some experts re what grade of material you need.

Cheers for now

Many thanks for your reply to my email question.I gather they are amazingly expensive to import from Italy as a friend has just done this.

He must have got them from the supplier you mentioned.

He said that they were off a Vespa scooter, so hope to see if I can source some over the internet.

Some hope !!??

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Kindest wishes.

Roly (starting to get to know my new plane a bit better) !!!

Re P92 brake Pads

If the brake pads are the same as a Vespa scooter,you can take them into any bike shop.

In the back of their brake pad supply book are diagrams of pads to match your pads up with the diagrams.

Then if you get a match spread the gospel

Hope this helps

Re P92 brake pads

Thanks again, another great suggestion. There must be some companies in the U.K. that could reline them for me at a fraction of the price of obtaining the Italian ones.

Will look into it and see what is possible.

Thanks again.

Kindest wishes.

Roly.

brake pads

Yep - they're expensive little suckers

I paid $ 91 plus GST plus freight - each - 4 total

So if the relining option is found - please advise - I can get the old set relined and made ready - or even sell them and go on holiday with the proceeds

thanks

JM

Spent the last hour trawling thru the Brembo catalogue for m/cycle and scooter pads......absolutely no joy....could only find 1 pad set out of a hundred or so listed that runs on the inside of the disc!!!

The catalogue is very extensive and appears to cover all M/c's and scooters ever made!

Ah well, might be as I said, only made for a/c.

Cheers guys

Re disc pads

Will see if I have any joy over here in the U.K.

I just cannot understand how these small items can be so expensive.

Hope between us we can find an alternative.

Just another question while I am on here.

When I go to turn my engine off I pull the throttle right back to idle and switch each mag swith of seperately. Is this correct or should you switch both off at the same time. Is there any preference for the engine?

Thanks for the feedback.

Roly U.K.

Guest pelorus32
[snip]Just another question while I am on here.

When I go to turn my engine off I pull the throttle right back to idle and switch each mag swith of seperately. Is this correct or should you switch both off at the same time. Is there any preference for the engine?

Thanks for the feedback.

Roly U.K.

Assuming you are operating a Rotax 912ULS this is what I was taught:

1. Set the throttle to 2400rpm;

2. Smoothly close the throttle at the same time as you kill both ignition switches together.

There are definitely other views on how to do this however this seems to get a smooth shutdown with minimal nasty banging.

Regards

Mike

Guest brentc

I've been shutting down 912's and Jabs for that matter by switching off one ignition first, so gently but firmly pull throttle back, switch one, then the second about a second after. Done carefully at a low idle it won't clunk in the gearbox. You would have to think that the sudden shutdown by switching off both at once can't be great for the engine long term.

Guest Maj Millard

Switched mine off about 4 this arvo. Technique I use is as follows; Up to about 3000 for a post-flight mag check (one could have failed on the last flight, I want to know about it now, so I can fix it before I want to fly next, rare granted, but it does happen, I really hate not being able to fly when I have to, as I use the plane for work related travel ) Then back to about 2500, both switches off together as throttle is bought to idle. Have used this technique on 912s for a long time and ALWAYS get a very clean immediate start.

I run a fairly big POWERFIN 3 blade composit prop, things may be different with a two blade.

And whilst we are on the subject of ignitions, I am currently fixing an 80hp 912 which was running like a hairy goat with excessive drops on both sides. (80hp engine usually run smoother than the 100hp ones). Naturally supected the stator as being 'lazy' and producing insufficent power output. Stator checked out 100% fine, but found one of the four ign trigger pickups completely dead, which even surprisd Wal at BFl.

Got the new trigger today so haven't put it in yet, but i expect it will get things smooth again. Basically the engine was running on 6 plugs instead of 8.....The new trigger by the way took care of 299 bucks !!......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Re engine switch off.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I have a jabiru 2200 on the Tecnam. Seems a great little engine and I am slowly working throught the basic maintenance on her, oil and filter change, plugs, tappets, 2x new rotor arms, mine were very sloppy, new carb rubber inlet manifold,slightly splitting from the inside,worth checking.

Had a scare when I took the bottom off the gascolator as the previous owner who was very lacking on maintenance had obviously never removed the same and it had about an inch and a half of a mixture of water,rust,sludge etc. Amazingly it must have been doing an excellent job as the inline filter was pretty clear and the carb bowl was spotless.

The engine has done 270 hours so I am hoping she will stay sweet up to the 1000 TBO.

Does anyone have any fuel burn figures for their P92 echos with a Jabiru or are you all on 912s in OZ ?

She seems sweet at 2500/2600 revs at about 8o/85 knots.

Thanks again for the feedback re switching off.

Roly, happy to learn from those who know!!!

Guest Crezzi

AFAIK all the Aussi Tecnam are Rotax powered.

The Echo was too heavy for the UK microlight category with the 912 so unfortunately the importer had to do a conversion to put the Jabiru in it.

Cheers

John

re Jabiru engine

Sorry I took it for granted that your ultralight Tecnam P92s were as in the U.K and jabiru powered.

I was always a Rotax man and a bit wary of the Jabiru as we had heard bad things about the early ones, however this one runs very sweetly indeed and is a very simple engine. No plumbing, no gearbox, one carb, etc,etc. Has a lot going for it.

Unless you know otherwise, would be interested to hear,sad or glad stories.

Roly

Hi,

Got a Jabiru 2.2 with 900 hours on it now. Use araldite on the rotor button to stop them vibrating and elongating, best advice I can give, do all the regular scheduled maintenance, especially head tension and tappet adjustment.

Remember its a different engine than the Rotax, will not forgive sloppy maintenance, do regular compression/leakdown tests and if you don't get the right reading, take heads off and re lap valves. Never had a problem so far!

Guest Crezzi

The Echo's here have an MTOW of 544kg so they can be left as the designer intended.

If you search around on the forums you'll find various other threads discussing Rotax v Jabiru. Personally any aircraft type which was only available with the J2200 motor wouldn't make it onto my "want to own" list but thats just my opinion (which many would disagree with).

Cheers

John

so unfortunately the importer had to do a conversion to put the Jabiru in it. Cheers

John

You hit the nail on the head there Crezi "unfortunately" thats like putting a vk commodore motor in a porche 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Haha 1

Re Jabiru engines.

Wow guys dont wrap it up at all will you !!!

Is this talking from experience or just a mate who had one that was crook?

Also as we all saw over here the early ones did have some bad issues.

912 engines have their problems as well.

Thought you guys would be a bit more proud of your Australian designed and built engine.

As far as performance is concerned no problems.

I have flown a P92 non ultralight version with the 912s engine and sure she is a hot little ship, but hey the Jabiru Ultralight version is fine.

Anyway keep it coming. I can take it ?

Good to have honest feedback.

Cheers.

Roly

Guest Maj Millard

Back to the brake pad question. I believe they are the same Italian types that Nestor used on the SS4 Storches. Has anyone actually worn any out yet ?? I just rebuilt both top and bottom cylinders plus renewed the lines that connect them, all with new O rings. But the pads were fine !! What is the material anyway..fossilized ravioli or something, I'm impressed...................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

But the pads were fine !! What is the material anyway..fossilized ravioli or something, I'm impressed...................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

:thumb_up:thats priceless:laugh:

Guest Cloudsuck
Back to the brake pad question. I believe they are the same Italian types that Nestor used on the SS4 Storches. Has anyone actually worn any out yet ?? I just rebuilt both top and bottom cylinders plus renewed the lines that connect them, all with new O rings. But the pads were fine !! What is the material anyway..fossilized ravioli or something, I'm impressed...................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I think that the lack of wear may be more to do with the landing speed and short ground roll of those things. Little or no brake required.

hey lowflyer,

asking a Jabiru question on a Technam thread is like shaking a bucket at a wild bull.

I would suggest you refer to the Jabiru threads for responsible dialogue

Good luck.

Phil.