Anybody know of a spare Aeronca 7AC Champ?

Riley

Gentlemen (& Ladies)

With much heavy breathing over the past couple of years and in anticipation of the 'soon-to-be announced' revised weight limits for RAA eligible aircraft, I've got the old-man-hots for an Aeronca Champ 7AC (did GA training in one on skiis during a Canadian winter in 1959). I'm going back to Can/US and including Oshkosh for an extended period this year and intend to shake every available bush very hard in the hopes that a suitable 7AC falls into my dillybag for return to OZ. It occurs to me that, prior to departure it would make sense to first rattle the bushes at home to see what chance there might be of an RAA-eligible Champ already here and perhaps sculling around looking for a new home. So, anybody out there either have a Champ they might be planning to quit or know of one that I might be able to co-erce their owner into relocating? Any and all leads no matter how trivial would be very welcome and much appreciated.

Cheers Riley

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I am familiar with the Airknocker Champ also, what a nice little aeroplane. I put one back in the air when working in California, and it was simplicity plus. Don't know of any here but I will keep my eye open. There was one advertised some time back in the RAA mag but haven't seen it since. Cheers .......................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'm going back to Can/US and including Oshkosh for an extended period this year and intend to shake every available bush very hard in the hopes that a suitable 7AC falls into my dillybag for return to OZ.

Hi, I don't know of any for sale in Aus, but I just did a quick google search using the phrase "Aeronca Champ 7AC for sale" and as usual it came up with a pretty good list of pages with aircraft for sale. There was one site called barnstormers that had quite a few listed. If you can't get a hold of any information about Aeronc's for sale in Aus, you might have better luck and a bigger variety of aircraft to choose from by looking at that site (seems like there is quite a few). If you are going to the States it might be worth going through the site and getting an idea of what's over there before you set off on your trip. Some prettty nice looking ones there too.

Hey Maj

Tks for your input but I'm hoping the Aeronca you remember being advertised a few years back was Rob Glenn's quite speccy 'Chief' at Parkes (which co-incidently, is again on the market). Because it wasn't a tandem I pulled my horns in. Damn, I'd hate to think that a Champ was offered and that I slept thru the game. Mind you, until the new regs looked like becoming reality my attention wasn't cluttered up with lustful thoughts of owning a bit of useful nostalgia (love my old Thruster but anything's gotta be an upgrade!) Cheers.

The Champ is a nice airplane - back in new production too. A long way short of the capability of a 115 hp 7ECA Citabria which will also fit in the proposed rule change. Suggest you take a look at a 7ECA and the cost of importing a Champ vs second-hand local Citabria.

Guest Maj Millard

As I recall the two are basically very similiar, except the 'Chief' has side by side bench style seat, and the 'Champ' has 2 seat tandem arrangement. I can get my hand on a girls' leg better with bench style, although some may prefer the surprise 'attack from the rear' approach..........................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

batesey: I reckon I've perved every Champ thats been advertised on Barnstormers for the past 18 months. I agree there have been what seem to be super good deals offered but can't bite until I'm physically on site and able to view the goodies. Will continue to log contact details of accessible ones though just in case. Thanks for your input.

DJP: What you suggest makes damn good sense. I'll broaden my horizons to include the 7ECA.

All The Rest of Rec Flying Members: ....If you can't find me an Aeronca 7AC, find me a Citabria 7ECA!

Cheers All, Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Champ Aircraft

Hi Maj I hope U find a suitable Champ too mate.!! I learnt too fly in the tandem seat Champion 7EC nearly 50 years ago & had a great time flying virtually all around NZ in it.!! Great little Aeroplane for sure..! theses days Im looking towards the Savage Cub Cruiser which looks very simular too old ZK-BUU of years ago .!! I belive I have found a club with one at Boonah QLD so will check it out ..........Keep us posted of developments there .!!

Guest Maj Millard

Splitty, Hey I spent a night in Harvey Bay a couple of weeks ago, just a quick trip down to Caloundra to hand deliver some aircraft parts.

A friend of mine has been to Boonah and done some time in the new Savage Cub lookalike, said he was very impressed. The finish is real good and I think we'll see more of them. Whats this ??....a taildragger revival.

Yes a Chief or Champ would be nice, but I reckon I have the next best thing in my 912 Lightwing with flaps..............................................................Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Champ

:big_grin:Thanks Maj

you ever get up this way again give us a bell.........yeah went in a Lightwing many ( kgs ) years ago was impressed too .! benn in touch with the Boonah school so may have to make a trip south one day after the kgs peel off..!!! LOL Only heard good about it so far well build nicely finished etc. Instructor said the Ailerons a bit heavy but otherwize spot on! Well keep the air under U there bud later & many thanks!

Splitty ;)