Rotax TBO

skeptic36

Lifted from the Airborne newsletter

Rotax Extending 912 and 912s TBO

It appears that the other big announcement coming very soon is the Service Bulletin extending the TBO of 912 and 912s engines from 1500 to 2000 hours. It is our understanding that this will apply to engines manufactured 2008 or later. For those of you flying late model aircraft this will certainly help the resale values stay high.

Regards Bill

Lifted from the Airborne newsletterFor those of you flying late model aircraft this will certainly help the resale values stay high.

Regards Bill

And no doubt the new price aswell lol

• 4 months later...
Guest basscheffers

I really need to find a way to get PULP into the Sporty. It's done over 800 hours now and just had its gearbox inspection (Uhm, later than it should have been when it is on 100LL!) which did require some repairs. Other than that no issues, but these things do run a lot better and longer on PULP than on 100L; everyone that works on them will tell you that.

I need to look into maybe having some fuel trailer that I can take down to the servo to fill up and we can wheel in and out of the hangar to refuel the plane. We go through about 1000-1500 liters a month.

It would be great if I can end up following the lead from other people who have the on condition at double the TBO!

Guest Maj Millard

My 912 uls is a 2000 model, but it only has 450 hrs TT so I'm not too concerned about TBO just yet. With the best piston/cylinder combo in the business I have no doubt that they will go 2000 hrs TBO, and many have already gone well beyond that.

Got a recent price quote on a new 912 uls for a customer and Wal quoted (Jul 09) $22,000 +GST............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest basscheffers

Well, I received some news today that I really need to work out a non-100LL solution.

Refueller was out of 100LL today and informed it would be all gone from Parafield by October. From then on 100/130 only! Apparently Murray Bridge and Aldinga's bowsers have already been switched over.

Adelaide will still have 100LL but going there to refuel might not be entirely cost effective!

So somehow I'll have to get 100LL or MOGAS in quantity while following all the regs too.

This is going to be fun! :(

Guest Maj Millard

Basscheffers, Don't stress mate. Assuming you have a 912 in that Sportstar, you will have no problem running Premium mogas in it. Rotax actually approves it, you just need to pick the right oil to run for your fuel, and gee, you'll actually be saving in the region of 40-50 cents a liter to boot !!...................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

:rilla::rilla:

Guest basscheffers

We actually get a very good deal on AVGAS; inc. GST it's only 25c more than the PULP 96 I bought today to put in it. (Hey, lack of 100LL wasn't gonna stop me flying!)

I'd love to run it on PULP, but one of the issues with that is that I need quite a bit of it, as it does a fair number of hours. So I would need a better setup than a few jerry cans!

Problem is that the fuel companies on the airfield aren't too interested in supplying because of liability issues. "Doesn't have the same quality control", yada yada yada...

Obviously, I'll be working hard to resolve the issue this month! There are definitely other planes on the field that don't like 100/130 and would need 100LL. Some might even do the STC for their Lycosaurusses to run on MOGAS if it were available. Build it and they will come! A bowser would be nice.

I hear Hartwig run a 1000 liter trailer for the Diesel in their DA42. Surprised they don't just burn Jet A-1, but this is what I hear...

So bringing your own fuel in a trailer isn't unprecedented at the field anyway. New trailers are 7 grand. maybe I can find one for close to half price used, I'd earn it back in little over a year in the 25c savings!

Guest mudjeep

Have you thought about something like this?

Silvan Australia

You could get a small trailer or cart to transport it. Designed for diesel but I would expect it could take PULP as well - you'd have to check.

I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it filled - most servo's won't let you fill anything bigger than a jerry. You might be able to make arrangements at your closest depot.

I know a mechanic who looks after a 912 used in a gyro for mustering work, so full power much of the time. At 2400 hrs he put new rings and hand lapped the valves. At 5400 he did same again. Can measure some wear in the bore now, but within specs. Now it's out there at full bore again, aiming for 7000 hrs........

Guest basscheffers
Have you thought about something like this?Silvan Australia

Such a product would be ideal. The 1000 liter version on a cheap bunded trailer would be quite affordable. I see a lot of tanks like these for diesel but never any advertised for petrol. I should talk to the manufacturers why that is.

The filling up at a petrol station is an issue also, though I hear especially stations off the beaten track can be quite willing to turn a blind eye in return for a good regular customer!

Guest Maj Millard

Some fuel companies up here will put in a tank on a stand for you if you can guarantee them so many liters a month or so.......................still got to get it sorted with the airport I suppose....................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Be careful. Remember that petrol is volatile and diesel is not. A spark will ignite petrol but not diesel. Plastic containers and electric pumps designed for diesel will probably not have much spark suppression - both electrical and static.

We have a 240V pump, designed for diesel only, on our 5000 litre steel diesel tank. It has a 1 metre plastic suction hose running from the tank to the pump. When diesel runs through this hose it builds enough static charge to create sparks that jump 2-3 inches from the hose to the adjacent metal frame (several per second). Not a worry for diesel but I still wrapped wire around the hose and earthed it.

Don't use diesel stuff for petrol.

Filling up tanks like this at a servo should be legal and no problem as long as they are properly secured (won't go flying in an accident). I'm pretty sure you can fill 44gal drums as long a they are properly tied down. But the onus is on the servo not to fill unsafe containers so I guess they err on the side of caution.

Peter.

Evaporation

Hi all,

I think you would be amazed at the amount of fuel you would lose to evaporation if you try to store bulk petrol above ground.

In the olden days:gerg: when fuel companies used to supply bulk tanks for farms petrol tanks were always underground with a hand pump on them and diesel tanks where on a stand above ground and gravity feed.

Unfortunately I think the only way to do it is with several good quality Jerry cans and only take the amount you need for the day.

Regards Bill

I've seen Avgas sold in 44 Gallon drums before and the person using it used a hand driven pump (no sparks) to transfer the fuel to the aircraft, having connected a electrical static cable between the drum and the aircraft first.

I was given the chance to try the hand pump just circulating some Avgas back into the drum, immediately feeling all the hairs on my arm stand on end from the static electricity generated by the fuel flowing through the hose. It gave a good appreciation of why the electrical static cable was needed.

Once used the drum could not be refilled - Those were the rules! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif Not very environmentally 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

I was at at farm clearance auction recently where there were at least 3 ULP tanks - 2 x 1000lt on stands and one portable one about 600lt with pump hose and nozzle included. Those on stands went for about $400 and the portable ( back of the ute size) went for $600 - $700 if I remember correctly. At the time I was only looking for Diesel tanks of which there were also a number.

Check to be sure but I think so long as you have less than 1000lt of any type of fluid on board it is not classed as dangerous goods and OK to transport. Container needs to be approved for use, static issues aside

They still do!

Not around here.

The fuel company signed ownership of them over to us so they were no longer responsible for maintenance, then instead of giving us a cheaper price for buying bulk they started charging more than the bowser price because of delivery costs. Although I guess if you use enough of the stuff anything is possible

I asked for a quote from one supplier, before she would give me a price she asked if it was for off road or on road use, I asked what difference, she said off road is dearer because of tax:faint:

I rang customs, (that's who we claim the tax back from for off road use) they said bullxxxx.

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Regards Bill

Oil for rotaxs, Shell have released an oil specially designed for rotax motors with an additive that rotax recomend, and the 2000 hrs is just that, a given, we use them for mustering on gyros, and dont even worry about looking at them until 2000hrs, then just throw them off buy a new one and flog the other one off for a good price.

Trick is to alway use premium fuel with good oil and really good filters, service 50 hrs and its a done deal, who says rotaxs are dear, they are worth every cent in my book.

Guest Maj Millard

Bones, have you tried getting that new shell stuff up here, I mean anything less than 200 lts at a time. We kissed it off, and we are now all using, and happy with, Valvolene Durablend 15w50 which is readily available at Repco and other outlets.

We were all happy with Castrol GPS, until Rotax came out and said don't use it anymore. You also need to keep a good close eye on your carb mount rubbers if you are looking for the 2000 hrs. Check them inside for cracks as well as outside.....lest one carb falls off and goes through your expensive Gyro prop...........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Same deal here. I actually cancelled bulk delivery a few months ago now. I really got the xxxxx with the company charging such hefty prices. As my farm is adjacent to town I can drive my tractor up to the service station and even though their diesel prices are higher than in Muswellbrook, I can generally pay less at the bowser with GST than I was paying for Bulk Delivery LESS GST plus I can still claim back my 38.143 cents for off road use as well as the GST. The straw that broke the camels back for me was, for the first time in 15 years I was a day late paying the bill & they charged me $15 late payment fee plus interest from delivery date.

Sorry...getting way off topic here.

Yeh, the big boys really screwed us on bulk deliveries. We now use Liberty who have bulk delivery in NE Vic/Sth NSW. Prices usually better than bowser. Delivery charged by the litre, the more you buy the less it is. Joint delivery between neighbours is charged as one delivery. Credit is extra. Send weekly fuel price emails and have pricing forecasts on the website. Sorry to sound like an advertisement but we have saved quite a bit of money just by knowing the weekly price and forecasts.

I'm constantly surprised by how many of the members here are farmers!

Peter

Bones, have you tried getting that new shell stuff up here, I mean anything less than 200 lts at a time. We kissed it off, and we are now all using, and happy with, Valvolene Durablend 15w50 which is readily available at Repco and other outlets.We were all happy with Castrol GPS, until Rotax came out and said don't use it anymore. You also need to keep a good close eye on your carb mount rubbers if you are looking for the 2000 hrs. Check them inside for cracks as well as outside.....lest one carb falls off and goes through your expensive Gyro prop...........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj,

Yep i get it from Dennis Behan here at the airport in the Towers in 12 of 1 lts bottles cartons, he sells it very reasonably priced.

Yeah the carb sockets, i replaced them about 50hrs ago, it started to run rough, so after a good check, i noticed one was starting to seperate, so i ordered 2 and done with it.

bones

Guest Maj Millard

You may not be getting it from Dennis for too much longer as the rumour is he is in recievership. The rubbers are ment to be a five year replacement item, but the word around the hills is that every 200 hrs is more like it, and the safer way to go. You haven't had an ignition trigger die yet either by the sound of it, let me know when you do.............................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

You may not be getting it from Dennis for too much longer as the rumour is he is in recievership.

Hmmmm interesting, i doubt it but not impossible i guess. :rotary: