Radio Frequencies

Guest pelorus32

G'day Bill,

that's the CTAF frequency that you get when you don't get your own frequency!

So in some parts of the country it seems like every strip uses 126.7 but if the strip has been assigned its own frequency then it will be something different to 126.7.

Regards

Mike

Not only that, but this question is in the BAK....Ben

So what's your point Ben ?

Being HGFA trained I have no clue what's in the BAK. I am aware that only special people get their own frequency ie Alf Jessup down at West Sale doesn't have to wait for someone at Leongatha or Lakes Entrance to finish transmitting so that he can advise his intention to turn base, but at Great Lakes some days I can hear Yarram, Leongatha and I think Sunbury sometimes.

My question is, there seems to be so many available frequencies (maybe I'm wrong about that, my knowledge of that kind of thing is not great), why don't Great Lakes, Lakes Entrance, Bairnsdale, Marlo and Mallacoota have say 126.5, West Sale 118.3, Yarram and Leongatha 126.6 and Sunbury something different again.

It adds to the pilots work load if he is thinking: "about to turn final, better make the call, oops a bit of control input required there about to press the PTT button" when somebody from an airfield 200 kilometres away has needed to advise he is joining downwind then you're through the turn and haven't made the call yet.

Maybe it's a dumb question and not a huge problem, but it seems to have a simple solution 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Regards Bill

frequencies

I'm with you skeptic

Kingaroy Q used to be another frequency - now they have joined the masses and are now 126.70

Irrespective of BAK - I think I know what this means - I'd suggest that having a 'common' frequency at the majority of airports, stops errors ??

Likewise in the same vane I can't understand the large amount of area frequencies when you go for a longer than usual fly ? - I tend to think that most people stay tuned to 126.70 when flying - as an area frequency ??

JM

Hmm. Not much response to this.

Today we had four aircraft flying around the Bairnsdale / Lakes Entrance area then another one passing through worrying about potential conflict with one of those four and we have to fit our transmissions in with Yarram, Leongatha and even one from Apollo Bay........ got a bit crowded sometimes. :confused:

There is supposedly a shortage of radio frequencies available and now we will be using the 25KHz spacing to bring it up to the full 720 channels. I don't know where they are all used bu it seems we need them.

Guest Ken deVos

Shortage of radio frequencies available

The same problem in the broadcast band is allegedly addressed with "digital radio" which provides more channels and more information with better quality and using less bandwidth.

Is it time for the "aviation peddle wireless" to go digital?

Skeptic, I can understand coming up through HGFA that radio isn't at the top of the syllabus, but if you want to fly at GA airfields you can make up for this yourself fairly easily by getting a PPL Radio text book.

It's one of the easier subjects to learn, but the benefit is that it explains in detail some of the questions raised here.

It's probably going to be some time before we get digital, so the highs and lows of the system are helpful to know.

For example, while common frequencies are frustrating on days with above average reception, I've come in from the training area at Moorabbin on a bad day to total silence, and with the hair standing up on the back of my neck, trying to remember whether to overfly at 500 feet, what the light signals would be etc, then just before the reporting point hearing that welcome babble of people talking over the top of each other.

In days when you could fly on full reporting, the frequency changes ensured a lower number of aircraft talking on the frequency en route.

I fly out of Warwick (127.85). Although this is in the ERSA and on approperate charts it is very frequent not to hear or be able to talk to other aircraft as they are most likely on the incorrect frequency.

There is a good case to have only one frequency Australia wide and put up with the overlapping calls....or teach all pilots how to read to find the correct frequency:laugh:

I wonder if "they" ever switch over to FIS frequency in flight:ah_oh:

Heon, in GA flying the vast majority do switch frequencies, keep it short etc. however, it's a human factors issue - if you make the notes for your flight plan everything is usually fine, but if you've had a had wind and time is running out, or anything else to disrupt the calm train of thought you'll often find the guy in the last frequency.

At Tooradin we frequently help solo students who've colme out from Moorabbin - the dead silence is usually a dead giveaway.

My post was a little lighthearted and was not intended to raise that old chestnut of GA verses RAA as to who is the better!

From what I have noted BOTH have considerable room for inprovement.