Velocity stacks

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Seeing how we have a few knowledgable types here i'd thought this is a good place to start.

does anyone know the length to dia ratio and appropriate bell size to dia ratio for velocity stacks?

Might be a bit inevitable with reed valves, It happens with poppet and rotary valves as well , in both 2 and 4 stroke engines, but extensive manifolding hides it, unless you are running something like a Bing or Amal carb. but not as much (depending on how radical the timing is) This is why there is oil dripping out of the aircleaner, sometimes. The Hirth engines are injected and may get around this. Be CAREFUL as the mixtures may be affected with your stacks. Nev.

Guest ozzie

These are only small two strokes using walbro pumper carbs. fiddely to adjust. timing is fixed. If i can stop the blowback i'll improve on the 4 lts total an hr consumption.

i have to be careful with them as they are out of production and parts are as rare as. pioneer P60 or 61. only turning at 5500rpm on a good day. I have two on the Lazair and one with very low time as spare. looking for a flywheel at the moment to make up another. Any treeloppers out there? they were very popular in Tassie.

Ozzie

Ram effect.

The length depends on the RPM you are operating at. There are formulas around, but at the low RPM's that we operate at, they would be over 15 inches long, ( total intake length ). As they depend on pressure waves, they only work over a narrow range of RPM. You want your power at T/O and altitude (compensation only). Nev..

Guest ozzie

Yes that is what i thought about the rpm. main reason i need to fit them is to stop the blow back of fuel over the wing. One home made type fitted to a spare engne i have is four inches long with a one inch throat. it has knocked a couple of hundred rpm off full throttle but has stopped the blow back. these engines are aso fitted with reed valves.

Ozzie

Guest ozzie

looking at the manual for the pioneers they have a plastic type V stack about an inch long in the air cleaner assembly. there are also some nice alloy machined examples for the 50cc pocket bikes/scooters that i can model mine on.

looking at some chainsaw forums it seems that there are a lot of people who collect them. Pioneers seem to be a prized item especially amongst the Canucks. Then there are the competition chainsawers who hot them up, run them on nitro and put a 4 or 5 ft bar on them. that p20 may be worth a few bob.

ozzie

I had over 180 degrees port timing on a Mach 3 Kawasaki and it used to spit the carbies off at times, but had massive power. This timing, the chamber and the length of the intake stack between the carbie and the cylinder can all have a bearing on blow back.

I built the chambers from the book "Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook by Gordon Jennings, and they worked from day 1, so I'm happy with his theory, and apparently so are many others because I see it's bringing $159.99 on Amazon.com

He has a section in there on intake shape and length with formulae, so if it is feasible to build your own intake tube, and if you want to go down that road, PM me.

Guest ozzie

I'm not really into going that far into it. i just want to stop the untidy mess with out loosing any climb rate.

i had a blue model 750 wonder how much they go for now. sold it to buy a panel van and get my first skydive rig.

Ozzie

does anyone know the length to dia ratio and appropriate bell size to dia ratio for velocity stacks?

ozzi,I`m supprised you can speak some Chinese.

Frank.