X-Plane 9 the ongoing review

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

During the week I finally received X-Plane. Much cheaper to buy from the US via the X-Plane.com website!

I've been flying and tinkering around with the program and my first impression is that it's a little more complicated than Microsoft Flight Sim. X-Plane 9 feels like it was designed for pilots!

The graphics aren't as spectacular but the characteristics of the aircraft are pretty spot on!

Another thing I've noticed is that there is more airfields and airports in and around Australia and they also have the correct characteristics of actual airfields. Last night I fly a basic nav course and planned it with correct wind and all the elements we use and she was pretty spot on!

I've found a number of sites to download aircraft and they are a lot easier to install into X-Plane than they are with Flight Simulator. So far I've added some of my favourite aircraft like the Fly Synthesis Storch, Flight Design CTLS, Tecnam P92 plus other larger aircraft just for fun.

All of these aircraft are fitted out with decent cockpit set ups and more realistic flight controls.

If you've ever thought about getting an Apple Mac and fitting it out with X-Plane then I believe you won't be disappointed!

More to come as I learn more in the flight sim!

Can you still build your own aeroplane?

I built a Corby Starlet for X-Plane 7.62 and if flies just like the real thing, except that without rudder pedals I can't keep it straight on the ground.

Guest basscheffers
Can you still build your own aeroplane?

Yup! Many people doing just that. I would imagine importing your v7 Corby into the v9 aircraft builder shouldn't be that hard.

without rudder pedals I can't keep it straight on the ground

MS Flight Sim does this for you, but no such luxury in X-Plane; you either need pedals or a stick you can twist.The hardest thing I find in any sim is trim; instead of trim taking the strain of the controls but leaving them where they are, you have to slowly allow the stick to go back to neutral while you apply trim. Very annoying.

How do others deal with this?

The hardest thing I find in any sim is trim; instead of trim taking the strain of the controls but leaving them where they are, you have to slowly allow the stick to go back to neutral while you apply trim. Very annoying.

I agree...!

Well the first way in which you could handle the trim setup situation is a rather brutal one. First aquaint yourself with the current trim state of the aircraft you're 'flying' and then identify the trim correction(s) that need to be made. A crucial part of this process is identifying correctly which control input - I fly with a Thrustmaster HOTAS so there are a 'few' control inputs you can make your selection from - you need to make and the control orientation required.

Here comes the brutal part! JUST LET GO OF THE JOYSTICK and trim until the porpoising of the aircraft has disapeared!!!:ah_oh:

Having flown sims for a number of years now the process is a whole lot more automatic and co-ordinated for me now. I sometimes perfrom 'trim take offs' for fun!

Some of the simulator aircraft (Aeroworx Beech King Air 200) just like their real world counterparts, won't take off unless the trim is correctly set!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Brett Campany

Hey Simon, the P92 is here

Tecnam P92

It's payware but really not expensive at all, you also get 3 versions.

When you download it, open your "downloads" folder in the Finder and also open the x-plane 9 window in another finder window. Just drop the whole P92 folder in the Aircraft/General Aviation folder.

Any hassles, just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I am thinking of dumping FSX and looking at X-Plane so I need an honest opinion - is it worth it?

Does X-Plane use less PC resources then FSX?

I believe the scenery isn't as good but will it catch up soon?

Is the range of aircraft catching up to FSX?

Etc Etc Etc - thanks!

Hi Ian,

IMHO X-plane is worth it. I have been using it on a Mac so I cannot comment on how it runs on a PC. It's only $39 US from Home of the X-Plane Flightsim Community - New Server & comes on 8 DVD's. I think the scenery is great, with the terrain as good as if not better than FS. The flight modelling is better. Weather is terrific. Good selection of a/c. Scenery tiles are good with quite convincing generic rendition of countryside & cities. Downsides are smaller comunity, resulting in fewer freeware & payware add-ons, although with the demise of the fs team this may well change. No airfield buildings, but many free download packages. ATC is pretty average. Amazing depth to this sim with ability to design your own a/c. Huge range of variable parameters. A demo is available for download. It's time limited (10 minutes). I bought my copy 18 months ago & I get free updates until the next version, probably in another 2 years. Give it a try,

Rgds Pete

Guest Brett Campany
Guys, I am thinking of dumping FSX and looking at X-Plane so I need an honest opinion - is it worth it?Does X-Plane use less PC resources then FSX?

I believe the scenery isn't as good but will it catch up soon?

Is the range of aircraft catching up to FSX?

Etc Etc Etc - thanks!

G'day mate, sorry I took so long, been out flying today.

I had FSX for many many years and saw the change over. As you know I now run X-Plane 9 and think it's a much more realistic flight sim. The aircraft are becoming more and more developed and there's a lot more selection now than ever before.

I've found that there's more Australian airports than what FSX provided as standard and the nav side of things is also more realistic. I think you'll be more than impressed with Laminar Reseach's X-Plane 9.

X-Plane, by Austin Meyer

There are some great stories on this sight from the developer of X-plane.

I have been reading them since this thread first appeared...I wanna be this guy when I grow up lol...he owns 2...yes 2...Lancair Columbia's (now Cessna)...he says the second one is for the use of friends and employees.

I am one of those guys that wants to love X-Plane. I started using it regularly but then ORBX came out with their Australian scenery and real-air and others came out with some fine aircraft for FSX. I really can't see X-Plane beating them.

If was up to a default install of both products I would lean towards X-Plane (or FS9, X-Plane wins hands down) but using the latest and greatest of both sims FSX is the winner for me. Now that I have an I7 processor and 700GB free I might install it again. I do like to try it out every now and again. It has probably been 6 to 8 months since I have run it.

Ive been using it quite a bit lately, and it really is satisfying in its realism..

Real time weather and other variables make it quite a bit of fun, and of late i have been getting into the heavy metal, and using the FMC to program flights.It is very satisfying to load in a big interstate or OS nav, lock on to the track, kick back and enjoy the ride...

There are many new downloads springing up all the time, and im just about to get the more realistic FMC so that i can get used to that format, just in case i end up flying 737s one day!(i do have to make a note here, that we as rec/ga/light aircraft pilots really do have to do a lot more "flying" than the big fellas, but i do have to say i could get used to doing the climb out and then kicking back with a book for a 100 grand a year!...)

I currently have bugger all video card power(im on a laptop) so im using it primarily to get familiar with aircraft systems, and doing instrument approaches, flying in controlled airspace(the AT controller lets you know if your not in the right spot!) etc that i will need to know when i start doing commercial and CTA Navs.Im basically using it as a learning tool and its a bloody good one with lots of support online, but i cant wait til i get a desktop mac with ballsy video card so i can use it as much for pleasure as for learning..

All in all it gets five stars from me!Im Loving it!:thumb_up: