Australia post's new policy

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Australia Post announced that it will not accept any package that contains batteries. for either domestic or international destinations. Items containing batteries like toys watches radios i pods GPS sex toys ect cannot be shipped with batteries.

you will now have to ship via a courier (who will then subcontractyour parcel to aus post). :confused:

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I guess that is what is happening. But you may want to confirm about the battery thing.

Does that mean that they are not *IN* the device - rather than *WITH* the device?

Trannsporting a device with batteries inserted and the device being turned on can cause problems, but having the batteries not in the device should be ok.

I'd check up on that a bit more.

There was a recent thing on one of the Yank shows where a woman was checking in her baggage and something was buzzing. This caused the evacuation of the whole airport.

Turns out it was her VIBRATOR which got bumped and turned on by mistake.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Though funny in hind-sight, you don't want that kind of thing happening.

Guest ozzie

with futher disscusion with the guy behind the counter at our local PO is that LI PO batteries are the no post items. other battery types must be removed from the device.

Well there you go! that might be the answer to our missing batteries!!!!!

I ordered x8 Li Ion AA's from Sydney, they got to as far as Twmba... and have never been found since! this is about 3months ago now! they were on courier to Twmba, and then because there's no such thing as a courier service in the bush anymore (they used to!) it then goes on Aust Post to our place...040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

LI PO?I know Lithium ION, but what is LI PO?

SO can you post GPS's and EPIRB's?

Lithium Polymer.

With Lithium Ion, the Lithium salt electrolyte is held in an organic substance, while in LiPo, the electrolyte is held in a polymer.

If damaged, they can explode, which I guess is the reason for the ban.

If shorted, they can explode.

If overcharged, they can explode.

If overdischarged, they can explode.

The power provided by them is a by-product of them not exploding, or perhaps them just exploding more slowly.

At the bottom of this page on Australia Post's website, there's a link to their Terms and Conditions. I can't see anything specific about LiPos.

Guest ozzie

lithium polymer are the ones in the lap tops that can blow up when they are charged wrong. some RC modlers have had fires in their cars and workshops when they have left them unattended when recharging. these types can discharge at quite high rates if they short out producing very high temps. lithium ion is a lot safer compared to li po but have less capacity and a slower discharge rate.

Ozzie

there is nothing funnier than watching an electric RC aircraft burst in flames mid air and crash in raging fireball! love a good Li-Po battery fire inflight!

I know that feeling, a 72 inch wingspan spitfire ending in a 7.2 inch pile of burning crap. First and last time I will ever convert to electric

Guest ozzie

Imagine having a small power station of them strapped to your back and they decide to do a 'china syndrome' whilst you are paragliding.

Guest basscheffers

Had to send back some broken iPods to apple under warranty recently. Apple has a deal with Post that you just bring it there with a printed label and Post packages it up and ships it off. You don't pay anything.

They did ask me if it had a battery, which it did. But realising it couldn't be removed, they didn't make a big deal of it.

Sounds like a very strict rule, unless it interferes too much with their own commercial interest!

Guest ozzie

The postie now informs me it is both LiPo and LiIon cannot travel by air as they are considered as dangrous goods. apparently they can fly if they are accompanied, as in a device like an Ipod or phone.

Guest basscheffers

Seems a little paranoid to me.

Do they do road freight? I doubt they would like to lose all their Apple returns business overnight; they don't make any products any more where you can take out the battery!

It is actually a big deal...there have been several recent incidents of fires in cockpits from torches carried by pilots containing Lithium batteries...If this occurs in the baggage holds of an aircraft this could mean BIG trouble.

When I did my first dangerous goods acceptance by air course about 5 years ago now the only mention of batteries being dangerous were the lead acid spillable type...I knew the dangers posed by the new Lithium batteries and asked...was told they don't count because they are too small to cause damage...Of course I pointed out (stupidly) the error of the instructors ways.

It is only in the last 2 weeks that I have seen an amendment from CASA/IATA to the dangerous goods regulations to include Lithiums...basically no more than one in the device plus one spare onboard...any larger amounts are quite correctly dangerous goods. May still be carried but need to be accepted by someone with the correct qualification (which basically means the training to consult the ENORMOUS Iata DG manual)...someone like me...lol

The scary part about this is that it has taken our regulators only 5 years or so to realise this.....

Guest ozzie

watch this it is a small battery pack from a model. a simple hit with a sharp object. imagine a pak with a bit of ommph behind it going off.

lap tops seem to be the most violent

Guest Ken deVos
snip....There was a recent thing on one of the Yank shows where a woman was checking in her baggage and something was buzzing. This caused the evacuation of the whole airport.

Turns out it was her VIBRATOR which got bumped and turned on by mistake.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Though funny in hind-sight, you don't want that kind of thing happening.

After watching the video, be afraid, very afraid of the vibrator! :big_grin: 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

It happened here in Mackay a few years ago...the guy discovered that someone had slipped a vibrator into his carry on baggage just before he entered the boarding lounge so he put it in the bin...the whole airport was evacuated, bomb squad came etc etc

We regularly get vibrators in checked baggage...if it is a shaver or toothbrush usually a few prods are enough to make it cease...not so the naughty toys...the bag is returned to the guest with a request to make it stop...before compulsory baggage screening at regional airports the policy when returning a bag to a guest for adding or removing something was to watch like a hawk in case they tried to slip something in there they shouldn't...so a hint for all you air travelers who are so inclined...turn the batteries around.

turn the batteries around??!!:ah_oh:

That's a bit of a worry.

Reverse voltages won't do them any good either.

I would stick with taking them out, or to keep the whole thing as small as possible, get a piece of paper and put it between two of the batteries to act as an insulator.

That way there is no voltage path possible so less chance of problems compared to turning one/them around.

:rotary: