Camping with aircraft - What to cook with?

Dont know the name of the gas burner but it exploded the other day at Alice. We think that the fry pan was too large and the heat transfered to above the throw-away gas bottle. destoyed the stove and cut a guys leg. The fry pan (heavy caste) cushioned more damage.

I would not entertain this sort of equipment.

I have a pic but BIG troubles trying to include.

Cheers.

Ive got one of those hexamine stoves, they fold up with the solid fuel blocks inside. Still need matches to light them. Having said that I have never used it, preferring gas when I go camping and havn't needed it camping with the plane.

There are a number of "Dual Fuel" camping stoves on the market that can use ULP and Avgas. Might be worth considering since you then don't need to carry the extra fuel for the stove, just take a small amount out of your fuel drain before cooking.

The small amount needed for an evenings cooking (<200mL) shouldn't affect your flight planning.

i have a small coleman cooker that uses unleaded. It will work OK with leaded fuels however over time the lead residue builds up in the 'generator' tube eventually rendering the stove US. However for the occasional use avgas is fine.

cheers

Davidh

It is an interesting line of discussion.

No, I have not read the earlier post.

I agree that using AVGAS would be the safest, as carrying GAS would be tempting fate.

I guess "push coming to shove", some dry twigs, Avgas, and a match. You can't really beat the open fire for "basic".

Yes there would be seasonal considerations like bushfire bans, etc. But then, if that was true, I would guess all options are out.

The other thing is depending on WHERE you are. Some air parks have BBQ's on site and would be good.

The MSR option is good, but I balk at the high price. Over the years I have bushwalked more miles than I care to remember and couldn't afford an MSR.