CPL theory Question.....

Hi.

Ive recently made the decision to get stuck into my CPL subjects and bypass the PPL....

Im a bit strapped for cash at the moment, so i figured id use the time to knock them all out of the way while im grounded and saving to fly again..

The question i have is how long should i allow to study for each subject..I know the obvious answer is to sit the tests when im ready, but how long did it take you?

Even though im self-studying, id like to set myself solid goals and a timeline to have them all done within 15-20 weeks giving 2 weeks

study(approx 25-30 hours p/week)to Met,Airlaw,Human factors and Navigation and then more like 3-4 weeks each for aerodynamics,AGK and Performance as id say il struggle most with those....

I guess im just trying to put a solid plan together so i dont just procrastinate and waffle on for the next year or two dribbling them out..It would be bloody awesome to get them out of the way..

any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Cpl study - yuk

Been there done that - 3 lifetimes ago - yuk

My advice - go and do school based training - if commitments, time and money allow

If you flunk one of the exams - you can still be reassured that you have good notes and prep to tackle it again - with confidence

jm

• Winner 1

hi simone flyer, i did my bak theory and GFPT flight test 10 years ago(piper archer).I flown RAA since then. I like you would like to do CPL theory also. I am currently studying bob tait PPL theory. I think the ppl theory test is about $65.00 to sit at a flying school (computer based). i personally think it would be of benefit to sit ppl exam first to see how you are traveling in knowledge. PS- i find it hard to get motivated doing self study at home. A class room course would be a big advantage but it is expensive.

Guest tmpffisch

Sit your PPL first. I'll cost about $165 to sit (not sure where Dazza's getting the $65 from, perhaps CASA fees...). It'll give you experience with Cyberexams, KDR's, and basic general knowledge on all areas of flying.

2 weeks per exam for self study sounds about right!

The order you do them in is also helpful, as they can lead nicely into your ATPL's

I'd recommend:

CAGK

CNAV

CFPA

CADA

CHUF

CLWA

CMET

That leaves you with the easiest ATPL's to start with, while the easy CPL exams are still fresh in your mind.

ATPL's

Can you sit the ATPL's without doing the others first?. Another point to mention is that it can be a good idea to develop a good study technique if you are going to do a whole pile of exams. nev.

Guest Mad Dave

I like the school based course idea personally (depending on your financial situation of course), as I seem to be able to read something 10 times and still not remember it, but if someone tells me once, and explains it a bit, it just sticks

G'Day

Self study isnt a bad way to go. Allow at-least two weeks per exam, Performance may take a little longer. I just booked the exam two weeks in advanced and thats all the inspiration I needed.

If you have the time and money, the full time theory courses would be ok. But if your trying to juggle work/school, then the self study would be the best option.

I recommend the Bob Tait CPL books, to the point and easy to understand. At the end go and do the practice exams on the Bob Tait website.

Simon the CPL isn't really all that much different to the PPL so you might as well go for it. The main big difference is loading system echo, which has brought a few people unstuck. Don't even attempt that exam until you have echo mastered.

I can't advise how long it would take, it's not really all that hard if you do apply yourself. Courses are good because they are structured, TAFE used to run CPL courses, I'm not sure if they still do.

Remember in Air Law, they can only ask questions that are in the published documents, so learn those well, and bookmark them. You'll need to know about flight and duty time.

Back when I did it we couldn't learn subjects one at a time, the CPL exam had all subjects examined on the one day, it was enough to give anyone a headache.

Thanks for all the responses..

Yep..im just gonna go for it..I have been working away at the Bob Tait PPL book for a while, and i seem to be ok with most of the example questions..Im not looking forward to Performance all that much, but because i dont have a huge mechanical background AGK is the one that looms as the most painful...

One other thing..

Once i have sat all those exams, provided i have done the flying, will i have the same privelidges as a PPL, or will i need to sit a PPL prac exam to be able to fly XC etc?

As far as I'm aware, you'll need to sit either the PPL or CPL flight test to have PPL priveleges. Having GFPT plus the cross country hours isn't the same.

happy days,

Simon, you'll need to do a PPL flight test. See CAR division 5. (5.77)

"... has been awareded a pass in a private pilot licence theory examination or a commercial pilot licence theory examination ...

Has been awarded a pass in a private pilot licence flight test..."

Plus all the other stuff with syllabus and aeronautical experience.