What is this plane doing?

OK, I don't usually see them landing at 17:30 in Sydney, but!

17:30 Friday plane is landing at YSSY.

NO LANDING LIGHTS.

NO WINDOW LIGHTS.

The only lights I saw were the wing tip lights and JUST saw the light illuminating the vertical stab'.

I think it was dark blue/silver.

Vert stab' was white with blue on it I think.

Hard to tell, as I was driving at the time.

OK, sorry more details:

RPT. 73 at a guess.

(2 engine jet)

So, ok, you could say 310, 320, 330 767.

But the size 330 or 767 probably not.

Oh, landing RWY 16R YSSY

Sometimes when I am landing at night, I turn off the landing lights on final to get a better perspective of the runway, and it is not an unusual occurance for others to do the same, or it could have been some freight company hoping that the control tower couldn't see them so they wouldn't get charged landing fees:clown:

No Landing lights.

Can be done for the practice. You don't use them if there is mist or thin fog about , as the light just comes back at you . No rule says that they have to be used. (except that they should be on under 10,0000 ft, for visibility). Nev

Dont they dimm the interior lights in the cabin on approach

Qantas used to do the opposite - turn the wicks up full! I think theory was to make sure there was plenty of light in the crash if they lost it on finals :kboom:

Now they do like pretty much everyone else - dim them so we call all go oooh and ahhh at the pretty lights 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.

Well, as possible as that may be GraemeK, 99.9% of others land WITH landing lights on and the windows open and I can see the lights from within.

Though expecting anyone else to have seen THAT particular plane is pretty low, I was asking if anyone had a GOOD reason why it wasn't landing with landing lights and bugger all other lights.

"Dont they dimm the interior lights in the cabin on approach, i read somewhere they do it in case of an accident the pax eyes are adjusted for dark incase they need to get out??..:confused: "

It's in the same set of rules as the window blinds being up.. Helps the firies see fire inside the aircraft from outside.....

WebTrak

If you want to find details of aircraft movement into major Australian airports, take a look at the Airservices Australia "WebTrak" site.

You can watch 40-min delay feeds, and view aircraft movements going back 14 days. Very cool to watch YSSY during peak times (such as 7am weekday mornings) sped-up to 10x. Aircraft coming from everywhere!