Two planes go down in NSW

Planes down in NSW

For those of you who want to know, one of the aircraft was a Jab 160 at Warnervale. Stalled whilst doing a go around. Pilot is ok. Walked away. Aircraft not so lucky but repairable.Cheers Jabby:black_eye:

Two planes down in nsw

Hi guys sorry for delay I've been away, In answer to your question I've been told that it had full flaps activated.Damage is one wing demolished ,Elevator torn off. Front leg broken at clamp ,no damage to firewall that can be seen at the moment. Prop and front cowels a bit secondhand:crying:

Thanks Jabby, maybe a word of caution to Jab guys.

I'd come in on full flap with an instructor who told me to go up by myself just as I exited the runway. In the conversation I forgot to bring the flaps up, and because I was just doing a bit more than a touch and go, made the mistake of not stopping to to my full preflight checks.

As a result, I was unaware I was taking off with full flap (J170).

The first I knew, the nose rotated normally and the aircraft lifted off a few feet then sat there wallowing with no increase in speed.

Fortunately I realised what I'd done and shoved the nose down, and had to hold it down quite firmly, knowing if I dumped the flaps it would probably sink on to the runway near the end fence. The speed built up and I made a shallow climb out - and resolved never to make the same mistake again.

Guest Ken deVos

I also had a strange experience in a 170 while practicing a full flap baulked landing at about 500 feet.

In this case, when full power was applied, it appeared that the elevator lost authority and I could not hold the nose down with full forward stick. The nose continued to rise and airspeed kept dropping.

Ultimately, I pulled power to let the nose come down, then gingerly re-applied power.

I couldn't repeat the effect on subsequent attempts. :raise_eyebrow:

Jabby, you've probably realised it, but there's an interesting list of similar mishaps being discussed on another thread. if you know the guy it might make him feel better to know others have had the same problem.

Thanks Darksarcasm for starting this - one for you to put in the flying memory box for your solo days too.

Two planes down in NSW

Hi Turboplanner, Yes I know the unfortunate gentleman. He actually bought my share in the syndicate a few months ago and has been going very well up to now. I think his pride has suffered a big blow, but he will get over it. Just goes to show how strong these little Jabs are.Happy Flying Cheers Jabby