Tony and the Bulletin

Ted Snook

From Ted Snook, Northern Editor of the Thruster Bulletin

Dear all,

I have just had a message from Roy Gilby, the Guy who assists Tony with publishing the Bulletin.

Tony has had a very rapid deterioration in his health over the last month or so, culminating in his admission to Hospital, where they diagnosed a large Brain Tumour.

This was successfully removed, but the problem is that it was of an extremely aggressive type, so will grow again fairly quickly, the prognosis being that even with palliative treatment, Tony has only 6 to 12 months left, so will be unlikely to be able to handle another Bulletin.

Things are a little chaotic at the moment, but it is my intention to carry on, if at all possible - the Bulletin is too good to let die. I have no desk top skills, but I hope that something can be done with Roy Gilby, the guy who does the clever bit at the moment. If this proves to be a non runner, then I will try to find another solution.

With all the recent problems, the Disc for the next Bulletin is still sitting in Oz, but Roy now has it and will post it promptly so that we can get #54 on your doormat ASAP.

I know that you will all join me in sending Kay and Tony all our best wishes and sympathy at this sad time.

Ted

That's really terrible news.Tony has been "the authority" on Thrusters for all of my flying career.I purchased my Thruster in 2005 through Tony and TOSG which involved re-assembling it from a trailer and some repairs along the way.It was February,Watts Bridge was VERY hot and humid.It was difficult for me but Tony was really copping it.He said sorry a couple of times for having to take a breather but I certainly didn't mind having a break.At the end he still insisted on giving me some basic lessons free of charge so I wouldn't wreck my new toy.It is a great privelage to know the man and have gained a small part of his knowledge.Tony...having been with you the day we put that yellow thruster together and seeing how much will power you posess,I can't see this bit of a bump in the road stopping you.Go hard mate and all the best,Gary Hodges.

This is really bad news. I really respect the man not only for his skills as an instructor and his wisdom and integrity but also for keeping the Thruster so much alive with an enthusiasm unlike any other person i have met.

Thoughts are with you Tony, grab this bugger by the throat mate. Give it a rattle.

heaven ain't ready fo you yet!

Ted

This is such an enormous shock - Tony, if you are reading this you know how I feel about you and I wish you nothing short of every single bit of success in beating this and I know you will go to extremes to do so - every single person here I am sure is so much behind you.

Tony, Ted and Roy - please please, let me know if there is anything, anything at all that I can do personally or this site can do to help you all in any way.

your right Gary it is terrible news.I think it would be safe to say just about everybody that has owned a Thruster has needed Tony's expertise at one time or another. I know my Gemini would not be flying hands off if it wasn't for Tony.Over the four years i have known Tony we have become good friends, and i am proud to be associated with him and TOSG. Together we have solved many problems for myself and others. when Kay told my wife Marilyn and myself of the prognosis i felt like i'd been shot in the guts at close range. I know Tony's dogged determination and if anyone can beat this he can. All the best my friend we will be up to see you as soon as possible. Cheers Steve Meddings.

Tony's back home now and I had a couple of words with him. He seems positive, but obviously the blitzing that his operation gave him is not making him overly chatty and of course he isn't mobile. Good to hear him though and I wish him the easiest time possible - something that I know goes for all his Mates.