RAA in GAAP Aerodrome

Guest mike_perth

Guest mike_perth

Ok so I thought this wasnt possible but yesterday I saw it with my own two eyes - I even took a photo incase my eyes were playing tricks with me (just did my 3rd Nav) but I saw it a RAA registered Jabiru landed and securley tied down for the night at Jandakot!

I didnt think this would have been possible? Maybe Im wrong and Ive read the recent talk about CTA / GAAP and RAA etc wrongly........ so please correct me if Im wrong but how did this happen?

Mike

Clarification:

Transponder NOT required for GAAP...which will only be the case for a few months until GAAP's disappear.

Transponder would be required for Launy as it's Class C over D during tower hours, not a GAAP.

A very long thread already exists on this topic with all the relevant references.

Guest mike_perth

But what about the approved engine? I also thought you needed an approved engine as well are Jabiru engines approved?

Guest Qwerty

Clarification Matt:

Launceston and Hobart are non-radar environment Class D (at my altitudes anyway). A transponder is not required in these environments, however if a transponder is fitted it must be switched on.

Referance; Tas Aero Club instructor, Alister per Phone, 11:57 am 27/08/09

Cheers, Qwerty

Transponders are not required in Class D. They are required in Class C, so if flying into D airspace with C above and no transponder, stay below the C steps.

Transponders are required in Class E in Australia, but not in Class E in other countries.

However some bright spark came up with the idea of mandatory transponders at Avalon when it was Class G, and at times when Williamtown was deactivated (Class G). Why? There's no radar coverage in the circuit area at Avalon, and TCAS isn't required for RPT between 10 and 30 pax seats anyway. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

But what about the approved engine? I also thought you needed an approved engine as well are Jabiru engines approved?

Hi Mike

I think there was a change of terminology, so please don't start quoting the terms I've used as I may get them mixed up, it was discussed in the Natfly forums so perhaps someone can help me here.

Put simply, to fly into CTA you need an approved/recognised aircraft engine. Rotax (including 2 stroke) and Jabiru are designed as aircraft engines and are recognised as such. Auto conversions are not.

I took particular note of the 2 stroke bit :), when CTA endorsements come into play I just need the endorsement to fly my plane into CTA (and perhaps a transponder with certified altimeter depending where I'm going).

Mark

I believe Jandakot is CTA within certain hours, and CTAF® at other times. So there is a window between when CTA finishes and sunset where a RAA aircraft could land. I was told this a few years ago but am not sure of the situation now.

be real nice if the WHOLE SHOW was cleaned up and presented in a way that any Joe Blow could deciepher without being a lawer. this is supposed to be a recreational thing. something to enjoy not wasting half a life working out these regs.

I am amazed that anything moves forward. everytime someone new comes onto the board it takes two years to read all the BS and another two years to work out what the BS means. But then if it is confusing enough no one will challenge anything.

BTW John nice sneaky move on the10.001 listing, been meaning to bring that up for a while now.

Simonflyer:

No, I would if it was a volunteer operation, but we are paying them nearly 1.5 million dollars per year for administration, and they need to get their act together.

Ozzie:

That's more or less the way I feel. Quite often a query comes up on this site, and you know if you refer the person to the RAA site so they can find the answer, they'll never find it, so you start looking yourself, and ususally find it quicker on google.

Guest Graham Lea
BTW John nice sneaky move on the10.001 listing, been meaning to bring that up for a while now.

Seeing that this is in a public forum, what is it about? - Just for we punters out here...

10-001 was originally allocated to a Scout that a friend and i own when it was being rebuilt the rego number found it's way onto another aircraft.