Change over to PPL

So from what I am reading is if my log book says BAK passed then I do not have to do the cyber exam.

Is that correct?

And then if the book is signed as most RAA pilots would be from a RAA instructor will that be accepted by a GA Instructor CFI?

What do people think?

Jim

The GA BAK is not a cyber exam. It is a in-house test done at a flight school. It is my understanding that the RA-Aus BAK does not equal GA BAK (unless you get a friendly GA CFI).

I've just about finished my 20 hrs now and still to do the BAK but am going to do the GA at any school, get it signed off and use that for the RA-Aus BAK.

When you go to do your PPL Cyber the CFI is meant to tick a box on the CASA exam system acknowledging that he/she has sighted the BAK pass in the logbook.

The GA BAK test i did in 1998 was more involved than the AUF/RAA BAK i did in 1994. I dont know if the RAA test in different to the one i did, but i didnt do weight and balance ie- loading system Bravo etc or landing/take off charts in the AUF exam, but i had alot of questions in my GA BAK exam on the above.

RA-Aus BAK does not equal GA BAK (unless you get a friendly GA CFI).QUOTE]That's 100% correct.I did both at the same school.I was offered the GA one about 8 years ago and decided to do the AUF one because it was easier and I didn't think I'd need the GA one.As things turned out I did need the GA one and had to sit it some years later (and yes it was harder) with loading systems and met.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to allI didn't start this thread for me I was trying to get a list for others if they wish to go down this path.

cheers

Well... I'm only a little way into my RAA training, but have been curious as to whether and how I could do a PPL afterwards - so I'm thankful that you started the thread :)

One thing that I've learned from this is that I probably should investigate doing the GA BAK rather than the RAA one - as it seems that the RAA will accept the GA, and it'll save me time/cost/pain/etc in the future.

Guest Graham Lea

Make sure that you have a blue ga log rather than the raa one, and make sure that the instructor will sign off in the log that you did (and passed!) it. Then you wont have to re do it later when you do the full ga theory which is worth while, even if only from an interest point of view.

Then your hours in the raa aircraft will also count towards the ga flying hours if you go for a ga licence.

All the best, and enjoy it!

They've accepted my RAAus log book and the 300 hours in it.

I completed a 3.1 hour nav today (YSCB-YCTM-YSWG-YTMU-ASST-YSCB). I've just got another nav to Albury to tick off Class D, and a few more practice engine failures (getting used to the 172 glide), then they reckon I'll be right for a flight test. A bit more CTA radio practice in all that. Completed 2.3 hours instrument flying so far (and loving it).

Decided today not to bother with GAAP (Bankstown) because it's all going Class D by April.

There's still some confusion over whether I need to do the BAK again. I'll post here when it's decided.

I went and saw Mark at redcliffe. Early days but I will have to my BAK again as I only used Roycroft books but hey its a learning curve and knowledge is not dangerous.

The hours will count and will have to do navigation again.

Thanks for all your suggestions..

Now off to the plane .

Cheers

Make sure that you have a blue ga log rather than the raa one, and make sure that the instructor will sign off in the log that you did (and passed!)

Fortunately, my instructor recommended that I pop down to concept aviation and buy one of the ATC's student kits - so, yes, I have the proper blue student log book _and_ the training books.

Still, one of the most useful things that I've come across is the trainer's guide from the CASA website. The RAA flight school that I am with seems to stick pretty closely to this guide.

Then again - so do i - in terms of the common mistakes that student pilots seem to make :-)

Still, one of the most useful things that I've come across is the trainer's guide from the CASA website. The RAA flight school that I am with seems to stick pretty closely to this guide.

Yes I reckon so too! My instructor and I went through that guide together quite often, was a great thing to do I reckon, because it made you aware of what they are looking for in you.

I just completed my GA BAK test. I managed to pass despite never having seen a load charts in my life and a basic understanding of aircraft performance charts & tables.

I trawled through the GA BAK syllabus and RA-Aus BAK syllabus and they are different.

Most notable difference is loading, balance and aircraft landing/take off requirements.

The GA BAK test I did consisted of two parts, Part A - 20 questions, General Knowledge stuff (aerodynamics, aeroplane general knowledge, etc), and Part B - 10 questions, Loading Charts (Alpha, Bravo and Charlie), and Aircraft Performance (Performance tables, charts). You are allowed 6 mistakes Part A and 3 mistakes Part B.

An example of loading question was, given all of the weights for fuel, pax, how much rear cargo weight can you have? Or, what is the maximum amount of fuel that can be carried with this load?

Performance questions related to how much takeoff/landing distance required given pressure height, slope, surface, wind, TOW, etc.

not so well I reckon but!

I reckon not so well Yenn but they may surprise themselves in areas where they have gained experience from putting in the flying hours, reading a million flying magazines, being a member of this website for example and of course we know every pilot hates a chat..

I do the monthly 'flight safety" magazine tests and that helps a lot too.

That monthly Flight Safety test is good but the IFR is not my strong point, I don't have the right charts. I tried the US AOPA site but couldn't seem to get into the tests.