Ballistic Parachute Deployment

WestCoast

Boy, that is incredible, to actually have a camera in the aircraft to actually capture that. I am glad that my new CT has a ballistic chute installed. I believe the CT next year will have the ballistic chute installed as standard equipment and not just an option, it is becoming the Sirius of ultralights!

Actually come to think of it whilst a ballistic chute is great it is like everything else you do when you are flying - it is all about the decisions you make as you fly and that is the same for the chute, you have to make a decision on whether to use it or not in what ever situation you are in. We all know there are times chutes have been used at the wrong times but as I said it is about the decisions you make when you are flying.

I know when they were testing the CT the test pilot pulled the chute when he got the CT to 9g's I am told:

The test pilot was conducting a flutter V-dive test at nearly 300kph (195 mph). During the flight, the test pilot exceeded the design test load target of 180 percent. The actual loads were exceeded by 270 percent.

At this high-induced load, a control surface bracket was torn out of the wing. This tore open the trailing edge of the wing, causing a loss of control that prompted him to use the BRS parachute. Both the plane and pilot survived.

“In an instant, the CT accelerated and even though the BRS unit was way over its Limit Speed, the system performed wonderfully. The ‘slider’ delayed the opening long enough to keep opening forces from ripping the parachute apart. Thanks BRS!”

Guest Fred Bear

You can hear the "aagh" just as he hits the ground. Lucky man. These do seem like a good idea. I looked at one when I had my Thruster but ended up getting rid of it anyway. These BRS' may save your life especially over 'tiger country' where there is not many options.

Guest Juliette Lima

Looks like he also had a lucky soft landing onto streched crop protection mesh......irrespective, he's here to tell the story.

Guest palexxxx
I believe the CT next year will have the ballistic chute installed as standard equipment and not just an option, it is becoming the Sirius of ultralights!

Hi Ian,

I don't want to be too picky, but don't you mean the 'Cirrus' of ultralights? I believe it was Cirrus that introduced the ballistic chute as standard in GA aircraft.

Peter.

Guest Fred Bear

If I had the money I would buy a Cirrus. One of the most sleek, sexy machines around. The controls and comfort level are also superior.Lancair IV would not be bad either.:)

Guest palexxxx

Darren,

Yes, they were very innovative when they were developing the Cirrus, no wonder it's the highest sellingGA aircraft in the world now.

Peter.

I believe the CT next year will have the ballistic chute installed as standard equipment and not just an option, it is becoming the Sirius of ultralights!

Hi Ian,

I don't want to be too picky, but don't you mean the 'Cirrus' of ultralights? I believe it was Cirrus that introduced the ballistic chute as standard in GA aircraft.

Peter.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - that's what I get for just typing away and not reading before hitting the post button - Peter, be picky all you like with my posts

So, anyone know what happened in the moments before the collision?ben

OK I know I'm not qualifed to make judgement, but shouldn't he have been looking out for other aircraft and potential conflicts? Also, the tow aircraft was coming from his right, so a giveway was required wasn't it? And, on top of all that, should he not have been giving way to glider or banner towing aircraft regardless of direction of flight?

in fear of flying journalists, Redair.

Thats the first thing I thought of aswell Redair, Nice to see you have an extenisve knowledge for a beginner pilot, sounds like your pretty determined.

My tecnam is loaded with a ballistic chute, hopefully I'll never need to see if it works.. especially in a situation like that!!

Looks like he got it down alright, wouldn't like to see the stain on the left hand seat though!!! haha

So has this forum had a poll or simple headcount on how many RAA or GA owners have ballistic recovery systems installed? It would be interesting to know - as a simple 'yes' or 'no' or 'intend to fit'...

Guest pelorus32

I think that in the video you first see another aircraft on a similar heading to the filming aircraft and ahead of it. I wonder if he was merrily fixating on that a/c when ....suddenly, from stage right ...another a/c came through.

Must watch it again, but I couldn't help wondering if the moral was..."never mind what you have already seen, what about what else is around".

This is certainly a cause of accidents at sea - you fixate on a target that you have identified and too late see the target that is going to run you down.

Regards

Mike

• 9 months later...

I am about to buy a tecnam and will have one fitted, I am interested in others opinions.

I am used to sailing alot and I would never head offshore without self inflating raft - hope I never need one but its $5000 and 13kg i am happy to sacrifice. By the way for who ever was asking - BRS chutes can be typically be deployed at max138mph(222km/hr) and 300ft but I would deploy one at any speed and height if I needed it. I figure if I put myself in a position where I needed it (other than for aircraft breakup/wing failure etc) then really I have failed as an airman, but I can live with that.

I must admit I have always been a bit sceptical about BRS, but the circumstances in that Video made me rethink.

Personally I dont like the idea of it as a first defence mechanism following an engine failure - I prefer the options of flying the plane right down to the ground and having çontrol over the outcome.

But where there is a loss of control due sructural failure or impairment following a collision or other circumstances, or over inhospitable terrain or water it would be useful as a "'last line of defence"' option for sure.

I doubt any poor soul in the last few moments of their life as they spin out of control towards a doubtful outcome ever said:

"Gee I'm glad I opted not to have the parachute installed...think of the savings in cost and weight I've made"

I am not being flippant, but that poor soul could be me one day. I'll obviously be installing one.

With Respect - Tim

Go to BRS website in the states they have the full video of that story including interviews with other BRS "survivors" http://brsparachutes.com/Movies/CNN_OFF_AIR.wmv

I made a big thing about whether to or not get a BRS in my new CT, asked everyone's opinion, um'd and ah'd about the extra 19.4kg, the extra cost etc etc etc BUT because I made a big thing out of it I decided that I had to get it as it would be my luck that I would be saying on my way down "Darn it, I should have got that chute"

I will say that having it as made my flying a lot more relaxed and I do know that I must always consider it as a last line of defence (unless I want a new aircraft on insurance 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

Guest disperse

the arguement of to chute or not to chute, ends right here for me.

Im at 4500ft and just suffered a stroke. my 5yo sitting next to KNOWS that if this ever happens, she is to flick the two switch,s that stop the engine and deploy the chute. she knows how to do this because we have practised it.

she will also know how to talk on the raidio.

END OF STORY ........END OF ARGUEMENT......I will have a BRS chute FITTED