Plain language AV MET - UTC decoded too

ianboag

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If errors are found (I know about temp/dewpoint reported in some METARs as //.//). please PM me. Also open to suggestions about anything that could be done better. Even if I am a Kiwi .... :-)

IB

That is excellent work Ian.Congratulations..

Have you approached BOM with it?they may well put it up somewhere on their site for the average Joe who's interested in weather(as i was before i got into flying).

It will also be good for trainee pilots who can see it in code and basic form and help them dechipher the met jibberish...

Also perhaps an Iphone app?

:thumb_up:

That is excellent work Ian.Congratulations..Have you approached BOM with it?they may well put it up somewhere on their site for the average Joe who's interested in weather(as i was before i got into flying).

It will also be good for trainee pilots who can see it in code and basic form and help them dechipher the met jibberish...

Also perhaps an Iphone app?

:thumb_up:

I thought iPhones could just do ordinary Net ...... ?

If errors are found (I know about temp/dewpoint reported in some METARs as //.//). please PM me. Also open to suggestions about anything that could be done better. Even if I am a Kiwi .... :-)IB

I'm safe Tomo - I was inferring he'd done a great job.

Bloody ripper, it went strait on to my favorites list. I cant wait for the ARFORs. This takes the guesswork and grind out of it.

Well done and Cheers, Qwertry:thumb_up:

I am not saying it is bad, but talking to others I have learnt something:

An English version was offered way back. People complained that reports took up too much paper that way. So the idea was dropped.

But I do like this option as it helps the person learn the terms and the format.

Sounds like a good story Flying Dog.

These reports date way back into the Cable/Telex days when the reports were Telexed to places like Moorabbin/Bankstown Airports, or you could have a telegram sent to you.

These things were not like an email, the practice was to use CODE, and some of the keyboard mistakes could be hair raising, such as:

"..T DIED YESTERDAY"

After wracking your brain for any relative with a name ending in T, you'd make a TRUNK call only to find out it was the neighbour's cat.

To avoid this sort of misunderstanding, some of the key words were often repeated, or words such as REPEAT CAT were added, especially after a previous unfortunate transmission such as NEW GIRLFRIEND.....

You can still see repeated information at times in today's weather reports.

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but one thing which may need improving is the "names".

MVI - where it that? (I know but it is an example.)

So when you get:

Severe low level turbulence below 10000 ft E of Orange/ KIAN,

Where is KIAN? I've got an idea, but that isn't much good for safety.

A very good question and I'm not sure where I find out. I located a couple of lists of Yxxx (about 1500 of them) and loaded them in, plus I did a bit of googling to find others that came out untranslated (like KIAN and MVI and CAMUS for example). Found some (like Cape Otway) but not all eg YMIM. Where should I look for the info?

IB

If anyone wants to pm me with the real names of abbreviations I don't know I'll be most appreciative and add them to the list. The ones I don't know are the ones left in caps. It's just become apparent to me that YASS is Yass :-)

IB

Ian

Brilliant. Is there any chance of including the actual ARFOR at the top of the translation??

The reference points for the weather reports are all on PCA and listed in ERSA from IFR GEN 1. I I know the important ones for TAS and I look up any I dont know when I am away from home.