Enroute stopover suggestions please.

Guest Qwerty

A mate has asked my to deliver his new (used) J250, he's coming too. We have decided that the most effective route from Maroochydore to Tasmania is Via Longreach - Birdsville - Lake Eyre - Adelaide and Melbourne. We are pretty well sorted for lunch and accommodation for most of the trip but we could do with some local knowledge re accommodation in the Lake Eyre/Marree area. We are not looking for high end digs, any suggestions?

Talk to Tooradin Flying School. The Charter side of the business has been running charter flights over the lake for the past few of months.

Fuel is an issue at present due to Leigh Creek closing. Expect to PAY when you can get it.

A Nice overnight spot is Tilmouth Well if you wish to head over the western McDonald Ranges.

Gibbo

Talk to the Marree pub people, they might be able to drum your fuel if you give them enough notice, pricing is all over the place out there, for instance $2.50 at some places and $1.95 at Windorah, fuel might have dropped down in price at Birdsville now that normality has returned also..go figure:censored: enjoy your flight:big_grin:

Just a thought but you could do no better than a stopover at Arkaroola. Avgas is usually available and the hospitality is without question the best you will experience anywhere. Accomodation is cheap and clean. We were up there a couple of weeks ago, can't speak highly enough of Doug and his staff.

Regards

Greg

We stopped at Marree recently and had a great time staying at the Oasis caravan park. Good cabins and a great outdoor meal by a huge campfire every nite put on by the owners. Fuel up at William Creek and then down to Marree but on the way you must fly out and see the Painted Hills- they are magnificent.

Terry

293281707_Paintedhills.jpg.010e7515827acb871b753ae932e1120c.jpg

1.jpg.95832302b8e072aec9ecd7d0befdccd3.jpg

If you decide to go on the inland route, I second Greg. You MUST go to Arkaroola, northern Flinders Ranges. Doug will bend over backwards to make your stay a good one. There's a strip there, accommodation ranges from camping to cheaper rooms to good motel rooms, there is a good restaurant, a shop, a pool, and two real life full scale observatories. Doug operates a C207 and an Auster and he can organise fuel. Plus you'll fly near Lake Frome, the salt lake used to white balance satellites!

South of that is Wilpena Pound, nice to fly over. You can stay there but it would probably be relatively expensive. Personally I'd choose Arkaroola.

Something a bit different is to land at Cameron Corner and visit the Corner Store. There's nowhere to stop, you have to taxi off the runway and along the road to park in the car park. It's not really a place to stay but an interesting place to land.

You could drop in at the Dig Tree airstrip (there are two, make sure you use the right one near the tree). No fuel, just another interesting place to stop. If you go that way maybe stop at Innamincka. I think there is accommodation there, probably basic (there's a pub, maybe check with them) or take a tent and camp on the banks of the Cooper Creek, it's a lovely camping spot and you can walk to the pub and shop for food.

If you need to stop at near Lake Eyre south, try Muloorina Station. I doubt they'd have fuel though.

Otherwise you could take the scenic route and just track down the coast. It is spectactularly beautiful, and at this time of the year the whales are migrating. You'd find plenty of places to stay along the coast!

I would say that the Painted Desert/Hills were the highlight of the trip we did north in August. The now drying out Lake Eyre and flying around in Wilpena too. Catch Maree man before he fades away due to wind erosion. If you are going through via Adelaide, then look for the whales at Middleton/ Goolwa:thumb_up:. Fuel at William Creek (bowser), Maree (drum), Arkaroola, Jamestown.

Marcus

Innaminka has near new motel style rooms and a great restaurant at very reasonable prices given where it is. Fuel is aso available there. I stayed there late last year and the rooms were excellent.

If you want a great adventure stop-over, call in to the Noccundra Hotel. You taxi right up to your room and the managers there are great and throw on a great BBQ on possibly the biggest hotplate I've ever seen! Give them a ring also re fuel or fuel is available at thargomindah nearby via credit card swipe bowser.

Which ever way you go, you'll have a ball and tell us about your trip! :thumb_up:

would say that the Painted Desert/Hills were the highlight of the trip we did north in August. The now drying out Lake Eyre and flying around in Wilpena too. Catch Maree man before he fades away due to wind erosion. If you are going through via Adelaide, then look for the whales at Middleton/ Goolwa:thumb_up:. Fuel at William Creek (bowser), Maree (drum), Arkaroola, Jamestown.

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Do you have coodinates for the "Painted Hills"?

I tried to get last time that way but no go, operaters keeping it a secret so it seems.

Phil.

The Painted hills are fantastic and are different to the painted desert.

They are on the Tarcoola WAC chart and marked as Painted Hill with co-ordinates about 29' 34 min and 135' 50min at a distance of 48NM from William Creek on a track of 207 degrees Magnetic. I also have the co-ords for the Marree man (in the GPS )which is then on track from the painted hills to Marree but you need to get up to about 8500 to see him properly- it is a bit ordinary now.

Terry

The Painted hills are fantastic and are different to the painted desert.They are on the Tarcoola WAC chart and marked as Painted Hill with co-ordinates about 29' 34 min and 135' 50min at a distance of 48NM from William Creek on a track of 207 degrees Magnetic. I also have the co-ords for the Marree man (in the GPS )which is then on track from the painted hills to Marree but you need to get up to about 8500 to see him properly- it is a bit ordinary now.

Terry

Thanks Terry I will put into GPS for my next trip.

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks guys. I've got it sorted....I think.

Querty.

Look up Notams for the Lake area including William Creek.

I noticed the other day that the ctaf freq has changed until November I think. Also broadcast position,height and headings within the published boundaries is required.

Have a good trip.

Phil.

Guest Qwerty

Thanks pduthoit, Now I need help decoding the crap notam.

..........SFC TO 5000FT AMSL

FROM 09 100537 TO 11 010000 EST

H24

What does the time date group mean, whats the 09 and the 11.

• 2 years later...

Ian is there anyway you could work with the developer Tony Nixon to get PitrexWXD decoder back up and running again. It is my opinion by far the best decoder as it actually shows the front lines and names of places on a map of Australia. It offers safer flying and is a tragedy that is no longer available. His number if it is still the same is 0415304201 would it be worth contacting him so it could be added to the weather tab.

Cheers rick

Havnt used for a while and didn't know it was no longer workingI agree with Rick a great safety tool

I had a post deleted some time ago when mentioning Pitrex so he could be a naughty boy

phil

I would put up with a 'naughty boy' if my safety could be improved.

Alan.