RAA bush aircraft

Guest watto

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Siverwing and thanks for the video's. It was great viewing. I do thinks that the foxbat was flying at 450 kg's. At that weight others will perform equally well. If floaded to 544 - or overloaded - as the case may be it will never do this as no other plane in that class would. It was said in another thread that we " might " load our planes a little on the generous side simply due to the fact that that's what we do due to our build - a result of a lot of barbeque's and xxxx etc. Be it as it may unless it is very light nothing will take off like that. My savvy climbs like an angel with only me and half a tank of fuel but load it with two people ( not Tomo size ) and full fuel and luggage and the take off takes longer and the climb is down to 700-800fpm. Guess the point I'm trying to make is that weight is everything. A few pouds might also be helpfull if or when the going gets rough as the turbulence has less chance of spoiling your day. On the day of the Monto fly in I had to fly to Stanthorpe to pick up a pax as this had been arranged for some time. The wind down low was gusty and very variable and blew me all over the place.Up above it was smooth as all he way . I came in at 70 knots and it still felt like it would all fall out from under me at any moment. The landing was ok but had I done it at more appropriate Savvy speeds it would or could have been ugly. A Mooney stuffed the approach and went around again due to wind. So all I'm saying is that a few pounds at the right moment might help even if the take off run is a little longer.

fly save - whatever the weight

Walter

Yeh, that 19 ft take-off at Valdez was into a strong headwind, flags fluttering straight out, and when you see all the snow on the surrounding mountains it was a very cold wind. Those aircraft are specially built for that competition, and tuned just for that role. Stripped down to absolutely minimum weight, such that they're too delicate for real bush use. Prop pitched so fine, that they can only fly at 60 before red line. A fair comparison would be the specially built dragsters you see at the race track.

And in the Aeropakt video you can hear the wind roaring in the mic, and no leaves on the trees so that's cold European winter wind.

To see STOL action in Australia, at 26degrees and 8-10kts, have a look at Hans in his 701 with extended wing and VGs at http://www.stolspeed.com/stol-videos

JG

demonstration.

Yes super light, fine prop, strong cold headwind. PROVES NOTHING. IF the wind was a bit stronger it could be able to take-off and land on the same spot. Good WOW factor till you think about it. Nev

Yeh, that 19 ft take-off at Valdez was into a strong headwind, flags fluttering straight out, and when you see all the snow on the surrounding mountains it was a very cold wind. Those aircraft are specially built for that competition, and tuned just for that role. Stripped down to absolutely minimum weight, such that they're too delicate for real bush use. Prop pitched so fine, that they can only fly at 60 before red line. A fair comparison would be the specially built dragsters you see at the race track.And in the Aeropakt video you can hear the wind roaring in the mic, and no leaves on the trees so that's cold European winter wind.

To see STOL action in Australia, at 26degrees and 8-10kts, have a look at Hans in his 701 with extended wing and VGs at StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

JG

I agree about the head wind etc, but ALL the a/c in the competition, had the same weather conditions ie-headwind . It still won. As per the aeroprakt video, it is quite obvious he had a strong headwind, just look at the bush at the mid part of the screen behind his tail in his landing roll . They are selling a product, still impressive.

If you have seen Big Rocks,Long Props, they have climbing /fine pitch props, but Greg Miller, still flys x-country, cruises at about 95 MPH,with out re-proping (he uses a fixed pitch prop) you cant have it both ways without the complexity of variable pitch props.IMO

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]all credit to Jabba for the vid

Nice one Ultralights, just been watching the same thing on the prune, that's a hell of a strip, I can think of quite a number of slicker aircraft that wouldn't stand a hope of getting in there.

Guest Howard Hughes

Great video Ultralights, that paint job and rego on the last aircraft sure does look familiar...;)

Cojones of steel, you wouldn't catch me in there, even in a Savannah!107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Great video Ultralights, that paint job and rego on the last aircraft sure does look familiar...;)Cojones of steel, you wouldn't catch me in there, even in a Savannah!107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

HI Howard and ultraligths, that is what threw me, i looked at the video, then your avatar, i put 2 and 2 together and came up with 20 LOL.They are very similar:wave:

points well made - the take off roll distance for the CH701 at least is listed as almost double (115ft as oposed to 60ft) for 2 on board. Take off over 50ft obstacle is 180ft (55 meters) I think - probably for 1 up, no luggage.