Avex pop rivets

Robert

Guest Maj Millard

Due to the skins being very thin on the Savannah (.016 mostly)you may not be able to use countersunk rivits. They will leave you with little holding surface.

>>>>countersunk-head rivets are used with modified nose piece in the puller to form a low profile domed head....not sure if stocks are in Oz...maybe Sport Air (former Zenith agents in QLD)..or Outback Aircraft.....how many are you in need of,Robert? ..A3 or A4's?

Try Aviaquip p/l at Cheltenham (Moorabbin airport) ask to speak to Ken. Phone 03 9585 1211. They carry all types of riverts. Another one to ask is Coastal Aviation 07 5448 8991 Rob Stowe, he is also a good one to try for the info. We are in the process of rebuilding our Gazelle & are up to the riverting stage at the moment. (not a cheap item) Good luck

Where can I purchase Avex countersunk rivets for the Savannah in Aust

How many and which size are you after as I have just finished my Zenith 601xl and have about 1000 left over [i think as I haven't counted them]of 1/8" csk head and 5/32"csk head avex rivets. Cheers

cheers T87

Thats what I would do.

Cant believe these rivets are so hard to get in Aust

I think it easier to order from Aircraft Spruce US

Robert

The CH601XL is still getting the Fifth Bearing fitted to the engine so we are a little way off yet. Been spending a lot of time bringing the third CH601XL that our Friend is building up to speed. This has slowed us down a little as well. On the other hand the CH701 is at the airport right now and it has passed the final inspections and will start flight testing this weekend. It should have been last weekend but due to the winds up here we had to cancel.

Will keep you posted. :thumb_up:

Ianrat

Guest Maj Millard

Hey, you guys are going to be doing a shix load of dimpling for not a lot of drag reduction !!.........................................................:gerg:

We get all our Avex rivets from

Specialty Fastners, Fyshwick, ACT, Ph- 02 6280 7794.

Excellent mail order service, good prices.

Part number for the 1/8" countersunk head is 01604-100412.

JG

Hey, you guys are going to be doing a shix load of dimpling for not a lot of drag reduction !!.........................................................:gerg:

On the Zenith we use a special nose [concave ground] bit on the riveter which domes the CSK head to a lower profile shape and is supposed to work harden it as well [not totally convinced about that] Cheers

That Zenith method of doming the c/s heads works really well. The taper of the c/s fits tight even if the hole is a bit oversize, and the head pulls down really tight. Especially for a Savannah kit where the punched holes are actually 9/64" rather than #30, to make it easier to align I suppose.....

JG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your input. I ended up ordering rivets from aircraft spruce in the US.

Although I now have a few contacts in Aust for future purchases

Cheers

RobertW