Bear attack

Spin

Received these via a friend, story goes pilot parked his plane in a remote area in Alaska; when he returned he found that a bear had done its best to reduce it to kit form! Theory is that he had, had a load of fish in there and neglected to clean up properly.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

He had 2 new tyres, a roll of cellophane wrap and lots of duct tape flown in and after the repairs shown here, flew it (carefully) back to base.

bear1.thumb.jpg.3bf6c431331e06504bb7d3a28c70d617.jpg

bear2.thumb.jpg.9748331304b982cefa89892008d2ef0d.jpg

bear3.thumb.jpg.5538ae6a7a38a83300d8d43250820183.jpg

bear4.thumb.jpg.3762b77ce143be545de4ee0c8944eb7c.jpg

Too right! Good stuff that tape, I even used some to replace a fanbelt on an old Landy - had already gone through 5 stockings in about as many km, the tape lasted 35km at moderate speeds, trick was to bypass the alternator and only run the waterpump.

Too right! Good stuff that tape, I even used some to replace a fanbelt on an old Landy - had already gone through 5 stockings in about as many km, the tape lasted 35km at moderate speeds, trick was to bypass the alternator and only run the waterpump.

I spin, a bit off thread, but i thought that stockings were pretty good for that. Ps- i have never tried it myself.

Dazza, heard that one many times too, but I've tried it twice, once with the Landy and another time with an old Ford and neither was a resounding success, despite trying all sorts of combinations and knots. The first time with the Ford, I had a bag of 14 stockings that dear old Granma had tucked away and only just managed to roll home, about 45km later. Either way the trick is to keep resistance down, hence no alternator and to keep the revs low.

i like the gun holster/mount under the left wing lift strut.

Good to be a cowboy in bear country. I was planning a ferry flight up to Alaska and a gun was mandatory (my friend gazumped me so I ended up not going).

if that was Australia it would be corragated iron and fencing wire. hell glad we don't have bears here. they remark about our crocks and sharks but at least you know were they hang out, but these bears seem to turn up everywhere. last week one went into a store and hung out in the beer dept for three hours. some towns will fine you if you don't carry a gun.

I've never did well with the stocking for emergency fanbelt thing. After the long walk to the servo after trying it i bought two. the car i have today has three so i make a habit of checking them when i fill the windscreen washer bottle about once a month.

ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

That would annoy me big time. He didn't like those big tires either did he ?? Maybe the first sortee after the repair job, is to go huntin' bear from the air !!

Vaguely related:

CloudDancer has an entertaining read in his book (CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicals) about being asleep in a plane when a polar bear decides to get in to try and eat him.

A "teaser" of the story is here: SuperCub.org :: View topic - Some days YOU get the Bear....'n SOME days..... on the supercub forums...

His site is here: CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles books for sale, read the outrageous stories of the young Alaskan bush pilot.