Flying Barefoot

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

OK at the risk of putting the cat amoungst the pigeons once again, have you ?...or do you fly barefoot ?.

I know an old AG pilot (now retired) who flew barefoot his whole ag career. Sort of the opposite to Col Pay who didn't like helmets. His nickname was Tony 'no-shoes', which got further shortened to 'Noe'. Rarely he had no choice but to begrudgenly put some shoes on, if the particular chemical being used didn't exactly cooperate with the bare soles of his feet !. During one of his commercial checks, CASA tried to catch him on it citing 'reckless or dangerous operation of an Aeroplane', but as there was nothing in the regs prohibiting it, they couldn't make it stick. Even when operating out of Townsville Int Airport on Mossie spraying missions, he would be wondering around the tarmac barefooted, much to the annoyance of some. Said it gave you better feel of the rudder, which can make or break you in an ag plane.

Noe picked up a power line one day with his wing, which was his first, and only wire strike in his long career. Managed to fly it down into the cane with the wire still hanging off one wing.

Those who knew him figured he was probabily flying with one hand, whilst rolling a ciggy with the other...but that's another story. This was the only time he complained about not wearing shoes, as it hurt his feet walking out of the canefield !.

I've tried it in the Drifter many times and got to like it. It does seem to connect you closer to the rudder feel somehow, and there's a certain feel of freedom about it, especially in a Drifter !. It was particulary nice alighting from a beach barefoot, after that precautionary landing there when the engine didn't sound 'just right' once.....I haven't tried it in the Lightwing yet, as the rudder pedals are the 'bar' type and probabily wouldn't be as comfortable. I might also need a cushion behind me to have full authority should it be needed on landing......what about you ??..............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Pioneer200

I am a drummer and have always played in bare feet, just have so much more feel with out shoes,have never tried it with flying but my Instructor flys his Pioneer 300 in bare feet, might give it a go ah!!:thumb_up::thumb_up:

Guest mike_perth

The flying school I fly out of wont even let you fly in Thongs (Flip Flops) you must be wearing fully enclosed foot wear apparantly there is something in the rules and regs that says exactly that - I work from home and mainly live in things which has meant a mad dash home for some "real" shoes when Ive walked out of the house on autopilot for a lesson!!

Guest drizzt1978

I have my special flying shoes!!!, they are a nice very thin soled, and very light and i can feel the rudder great, I refuse to fly in runners or anything with much sole, so I would go barefoot, but there is to many cables and wires down there for my liking!!!

Guest Brett Campany

Never done it bare foot (yet) but I try as hard as I can to wear something comfortable. I've flown many times right after work in my boots. Never a big fan of that!

Guest Maj Millard

I wouldn't for one moment suggest that a student try it. Or thongs. I drive sometimes in thongs and it can be positivly dangerous at times, I don't really think I would trust them for flying.............................................................................................hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

I like runners mainly for the safety aspect. ali can cut you up a bit plus if you have to run thru fire or something, call me a woose if you like but i think safe now.

i have done a few skydives bare foot. gives good feel as you use your legs and feet to 'fly' with especially when doing relative work. back to good soled runners as my feet and ankles can't take the jarring of a hardish landing. used to carry flip flops down my jumpsuit for the walk back to the hanger. i like to fly and jump with light gloves as well. two things i hate to hurt are my hands and feet.

Yes, I've done it, but didn't really feel any great benefit over comfortable shoes with a reasonably thin sole. Probably not an issue in the Drifter, but I know that should the poo go through the propellor and I end up with an aircraft lying on it's back in a paddock, I'd rather have a sturdy pair of shoes on for kicking my way out.

That said, each to his own - I wouldn't want anyone forcing me to wear a flameproof flight suit, gloves and helmet in a Jab and I don't believe it is my business if going barefoot fits your risk profile - too much nannying already:baldy:

Guest Maj Millard

Chucky, Your out of date now with the Mankini, you need to get the latest.... Mantard !! Don't know if they come in the floro colors that you like though ?................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Can't say that going barefoot would help with rudder feeling, in a trike. But the thought of stepping bare-footed onto the soft sand of a beach after a precautionary landing sounds appealing.

Many years back another trike pilot recommended trying sans-helmet at least once but I've yet to try that.

I've skydived with just a rig and sneakers. there were more girls than guys on the load. people on the ground said they could hear a whistleing noise in the sky.

good fun it was.

I were magnum boots most of the time, they are realy comfortable, and the softist (is that a word) sole, gives me good feeling on the pedals. I wear runners in summer though, but IMO the magnums are better. I guess it is a personel choice.

Yeah, I use a thin sole shoe to fly in the Jab, mainly due to the pedal closeness, any thing to big/wide and you get mono ruddered!040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Anything in the Drifter....:thumb_up: