Flight computers

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

I'll be starting x/c endorsement training soon, and I'm looking for a decent flight computer. Problem is, I'm confused with which model to get - the adverts all say "the ideal for student pilots", or "has everything you need". I'd like a reasonably robust one (plastic?) but the pricing varies so much I don't want to spend $$$ on something I won't use.

Any suggestions?

Dave

I uploaded a spreadsheet to do flight planning.

It covers the whole of Oz and has most/all ERSA waypoints.

You will need EXCEL. Sorry it doesn't work in Open Office.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

I presume you're talking the "whiz wheel" type of thing?

I got a Jeppesen E6B so I could work through the exercises in the books although I'm not sure whether I would really use it in practice. Then again, I grew up on slide rules before calculators were invented, so it's kinda second nature I guess.

I've also got the Niborex Electronic version for my PDA which is quite useful.

Guest Brett Campany

Hi Dave, any classic E6B will be good, get the metal one, easy to read while in flight. There's a number of good digital flight computers as well but you can't take those into your exam.

You can get one here

Aviation Pilot Supplies Shop | Flight Gear | Aircraft Instruments - For Pilots :: Navigation Tools & Aids :: E6-B Metal Nav Computer

Well worth the cash!

After the exam, you can use just about anything but it always pays to double check your figures on an E6B and by doing it all manually.

I use the jeppson CR-2 computer, main reason is because it fits in my top shirt pocket. I have the metal one as well (you know the one, the american one made in korea ha,ha). I find it is to bulky to use in the aeroplane. Cheers