Any Sapphire flyers out there ?

mechfx

• 2 years later...

They are a great plane and the only one I know of you can get now for under $10000 made from composite. Had one of the first factory built-no flaps and no wing tanks, points ignition. One guy I talked to put a door in the side of the fusalage and loaded it up with camping gear. Wonder if he is still alive.

I've only seen the one from Lake Cullulleraine Vic,[ youtube] its quite old, and a Sadler Vampire as well. No doubt some Sapphire owner has some sort of camera to film there aircraft. Tomo does a good job with the camera, and his new aircraft.

Be nice to see the Sapphire come back into production. I've seen one small photo of a flock of Sapphires in a early morning shot, and there was a local wedding on so they decided to do a formation flyover for the wedding party after the church service , and appreciated by the bride and groome.

Love to see more formation flying of ultralights, as long as its properly endorsed pilots and they do it very safley.

I've only seen the one from Lake Cullulleraine Vic,[ youtube] its quite old, and a Sadler Vampire as well. No doubt some Sapphire owner has some sort of camera to film there aircraft. Tomo does a good job with the camera, and his new aircraft.Be nice to see the Sapphire come back into production. I've seen one small photo of a flock of Sapphires in a early morning shot, and there was a local wedding on so they decided to do a formation flyover for the wedding party after the church service , and appreciated by the bride and groome.

Love to see more formation flying of ultralights, as long as its properly endorsed pilots and they do it very safley.

Sapphire were put back into production and only stopped a few years ago.The business was up for sale again only a year or two ago . The price was around $30 K I think from memory. Steve Dumnessy (or something like that) was the guy who was the owner of the business, that was for sale a few years ago.He bought the business of somebody else previously.

Yes, I do believe the business is still for sale. Hopefully someone will take it on.

Would have too be one ,of a few, for the best value for dollar per hour of flying with a range of 3hrs, cruise 75-85kts a Va of 72kts. But it is limted in amount of room for carrying accessories. Finding a replacement engine in the future could be a problem. I believe Rotax have stopped producing 447 and 503 2stroke model's. Apparently parts on shelves, for 10yrs after ceasing of production.

• 2 weeks later...

A few posts back there was a request for video of a Sapphire. Here's one from last Saturday. Had a nice fly around the lakes at Boort in central Victoria.

cheers Alan

• Like 3

A few posts back there was a request for video of a Sapphire. Here's one from last Saturday. Had a nice fly around the lakes at Boort in central Victoria.

Great vid! looked like a great day and location for flying!

Thanks for the vid Alan. Very well done. Very nice looking Sapphire. Love the dash setup you have.

I see you have a eTrek GPS on the left. What type of GPS is the other? Is your camera a HD GoPRO.

Cheer's Trevor.

I saw one at Narromine Natfly one year that was powered by a 34 hp Continental opposed twin from a lighting-set generator that were all over Vietnam apparently when the American war was on. He said that he found the engine DUMPED!!!! at Geelong tip. It wasn't fast and it was noisy because the exhaust echoed off the blades of the prop. But he was satisfied with the reliability and the low fuel burn. Don't know what happened to it - only saw it that time. Cheers, Don

Hello as you can see by my Avatur I am a keen Sapphire owner I have been involved with and flown a number of versions, the first had been modified with a fully hinged canopy and instrument panel making it very easy to get in and out, my previous one had a Dumesney canopy but no wing tanks or flaps and my current Sapphire is one of the latest kit built (19-0000) with a Dumesney high arch canopy, wing tanks, flaps and a 447 Rotax, and 75 litres capacity, I weigh 85kgs am a bit over 6ft a tight fit I have to thread myself in but once settled it is quite comfy I regularly fly for 2 to 3 hours at a steady cruise of 75 knots could cruise faster but it feels relaxed at that speed. In my opinion the 447 is the most suitable engine sadly now out of production the 503 is heavier but has a faster cruise and climb the down side is most people have to add a lot of lead to counterbalance in the nose (extra weight is a drag), the Sapphire is the ultimate single seater it is a pilots aircraft very light and responsive it has great glider characteristics, loves thermals, glides well and a huge afinity for the air.

In my opinion flaps are usless I rarely use them, spoilers are the answer Tony Whitlocks (RIP) designed and fitted them to his Sapphire it really gets the Sapphire down, my approaches are done at 50 knots the landings require a little skill but a lot easier than landing a Thruster, if any faster it floats forever, if you use flaps unless you are really on the ball it tends to waffel and baloon in ground effect which turns a good approach into a messy bounce perhaps my reflexes are a bit slow.

If you would like any specific information or wanted to talk Sapphires I'm hangared at Goulburn and would be happy to chat.

Regards AG

• Like 1

Thanks for the vid Alan. Very well done. Very nice looking Sapphire. Love the dash setup you have.I see you have a eTrek GPS on the left. What type of GPS is the other? Is your camera a HD GoPRO.

Cheer's Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

Centre mounted GPS is a Mio Moov running Oziexplorer.

Strut mounted cam is one of these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-DVR-808-16-V2-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-Real-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder-/150860529062?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item231ffcfda6

Rear facing cockpit cam is similar, but a wider angle lens.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-DVR-808-16-V2-Lens-D-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder-/180937263580?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2a20b389dc

and the hand held stuff is using a Kodak Zx5

All 3 cameras for less than 1 HD GoPro:)

cheers Alan