Flying School - Gold Coast Area

I would be happy to be corrected however the impression I gained when researching the same question was that the local GA schools are not interested in the "fun flying" aspect and that unless you were a shiny eyed aspirant airline pilot you were wasting their time.

Of the RA schools I was most impressed with Airsport at Boonah and have ended up going the RA route instead of regaining a long dormant PPL. It is a bit of a trek across the range to Boonah, but I often book more than one session to make the most of it and the quality instruction and pleasant atmosphere out there, make it well worth the trip imo.

Hi Turbo, pretty much the same as spin, i live on the gold coast, i was going to finish my PPL on the gold coast,after getting my GFPT with southern skies aviation Archerfield (they acepted my AUF pilot certificate (gained 1997 with skyfox flight training) and the hours with open arms at archerfield back in 1998.) Back to topic, IMO The two schools at COOLY as of last yearwhen i rang them both, would only except my GFPT hours an not my cross country hours.So i personaly would not recommend the schools at COOLY. Boonah AIRSPORT is a fantastic school, that is why Spin and myself drive to BOONAH to hire their aircraft. About a hour and 20 minute drive. With a CFI with 5000 hrs, senior instructors one with about 4500 hrs with GA commercial experience, and another instructor (Airline Pilot with over 20 000 hrs) what else could we ask for. CHEERS Mate

PS- sorry spin for adding you in this thread with out your permission.

No worries Dazza, I'm pleased to see it wasn't just me that couldn't come right with the local GA crew.

Thanks mate, it isnt just you and I that have had the same reception.I agree with you, i think there more into the pilot factory stuff. :big_grin:

When I first started to learn to fly, I actually lived at Mermaid Beach and travelled up to Archerfield every weekend for much the same reasons as you guys have stated so nothing has changed since the seventies. Without making this into a pprune type thread, I know that those factories are only interested in quick quantity dollars from starry eyed wannabies. I have walked into those establishments on occassions in recent times and have been met by some fairly rude instructors/counter staff :Disappointed:.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also had a cold reception when I once approached some flying schools at cooly for some training.

I also recommend Boonah... nicest bunch I ever met. I've been meaning to head out there for ages now as I've posted to Amberley and it's not too far so I've got no excuse haha

I've also had a cold reception when I once approached some flying schools at cooly for some training. I also recommend Boonah... nicest bunch I ever met. I've been meaning to head out there for ages now as I've posted to Amberley and it's not too far so I've got no excuse haha

im flying the eaglet at 7.00 am this wednesday,at boonah,coming i will take you for a fly for free if you want.