CTA/ATC area's

Tomo

Ok so while we all seem to be talking about all this... I've got a simple and most likely a silly question but:

Is there an easier way to find out if an area is active or de-active? Currently I use Airservices NOTAMS to find out, but I'm not always sure about myself. Also the ATIS on the radio, but that's pretty hopeless for flight planning on the ground.

I can't find if D646C (Amberley) is active or not? So what I'm wondered is, if it isn't listed in the NOTAMS is it deactivated? or the other way around? or what...

Problem is I usually only fly around these area's on the weekend and then they say in the NOTAMS it's 'deactivated', but during the week, It doesn't mention anything anywhere. Or I can't find it.

Basically all I really want to know is if I can fly into Twmba from the south, Ie, say Clifton for example.

D646C is SCF/6500 so would be awesome if it was deactivated sometimes.

Thanks, I've probably missed something terribly obvious, but I just can't see it yet 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Tomo... Danger areas are just that. They don't switch on and off like Restricted areas.

They mark them to warn you that you can expect the unexpected when transiting through them.

You can transit them at anytime, just keep a good lookout... and use that compulsory (soon to be ) radio!

Number 1, Check Notams, and make sure their current,

also, a list of all restricted/danger areas and prohibited areas and their most common or permanent times are listed in the back of the ERSA.

an secondly, if in the air, and Unsure, dont be afraid to call up Melbourne or Brisbane centre and ask.

eg, "brisbane Centre, Tecnam 9999,

"brisbane centre, Tecnam 9999 go ahead"

"tecnam 999 requesting status of restricted area Romeo 456"

"tecnam 9999, Romeo 456 is Deactivated/Activated etc."

Ah yes I get it now.... D stands for Danger... R stands for Restricted.... Doh! :ah_oh:

Thanks for that Wag's, I new it was something simple, but yeah a silly mind block! 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

eg, "brisbane Centre, Tecnam 9999, "brisbane centre, Tecnam 9999 go ahead"

"tecnam 999 requesting status of restricted area Romeo 456"

"tecnam 9999, Romeo 456 is Deactivated/Activated etc."

Thanks Ultralights, yes being sure is certainly better than wandering around unsure.

D areas are Danger areas, and you can fly through them, just keep a keen eye out, places like training areas are Danger areas, patches of tiger country, etc,

R is Restricted areas, usually Military of govt, or around sensitive areas, some are permanent, such as those over army bases, ammo dumps, military airspace etc, these can be active or deactivated at certain times, eg, Nowra Millitary is only active Monday to Friday. and occasionally at short notice on weekends, by Notam or radio announcement. a good example is Richmond in the sydney basin, its deactivated usually on weekends, but if there is a military flight inbound, then there will be a radio transmission on their frequency, as well as from Sydney radar, Something along the lines of " all stations Sydney, Richmond Restricted area R456 will be active from 1200Z to 1300Z due to arriving traffic" or something similar.

P is Prohibited. No entry at all.

Hi Tomo, we being so close to amberley, ask if amberley, is active or not. We normally get a welcome response, from brisbane. Sometimes we dont, if one of our a/c, takes off maybe 15 minutes, ahead of another a/c. They are quite courteous, if you the a/c 15 minutes behind, ie- you havent even had your radio on to hear the first call. They can at times crack the s%$ts, because you should have had a crystal ball, and should have heard the previous A/c, before you had even completed your before flight inspection and turned the radio on. Cheers mate

Look on the chart and get the number of the area.

Go to the back of ERSA and check when that area is normally active.

Check the NOTAMS. Now here is the confusing part. If the area is normally NOT active, and on this occasion it IS active, there will be a NOTAM out saying it is active. If the area is NORMALLY active (say, 24 hours, SFC to 6,000ft as an example), a NOTAM will only be issued if the area is DEACTIVATED.

So if there is no NOTAM, the area may be active, or may not, depending on its normal status.

On the Airservices briefing website there is actuallly a section there which shows which area is active or not active by time, that's a good way to find out.

If unsure, you could phone them. In ERSA there's a phone number for all of the areas.

In the air, you can tune the ATIS, or if you have an ADF you can tune that and turn up the volume. Failing all of that, you can use the radio.

Thanks for all the help guys.... :thumb_up:

I'm still not real sure about how to drive the ERSA in that area though, will have to get my instructor to run through it again for me sometime.

Guest Cloudsuck

Tomo, for Amberley, just call 54613581 for the recorded message prior to take off (try it now). Or as others have said, when airbourne contact Brisbane Centre / Radar and request status.

Regards,

P.S. I have had a clearance through Oakey in a Drifter a few years back. Tower boys were real helpful. I was with an instructor at the time who was a CPL.

Thanks for the number Cloudsuck, ''control zone and restricted area's deactivated" at present! :big_grin:

Yes, we've had a discussion about going through Oakey's airspace, if in need of an emergency... and yes I'm sure they would give me a clearance to putter about in there, but not having a PPL, I can't 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Our school recently ran one to Melbourne ATC (originally planned to fly as a group to YMEN, then bus to Tullamarine, but ended up driving 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif).

A great evening, with good presenters and lots of useful info - plus the ATC operations room and the simulator were fascinating.