Random question

Pre take off checks

Engine - running

Fuel - check

Wings - count two, check

Wheels - minimum two, check

Nothing much in front - check

button to the firewall.................:rotary:

Sannens are completely different to Anglo-nubians, I like goats....they are yummy

Yep Tomo, I'm bored. But not for long, I've just had an idea.

I do apologise Qwerty, I will have to check the dictionary and update my (apparantly incorrect) definition of random.Have to admit I'm curious about those goats now though...

Just to clarify, for myself I think I'd do the full set of checks just to be certain that everything was working properly. The reason I was asking was mainly that my nutty law-trained mind could find ways to argue it both ways (should do, shouldn't do) so I was merely curious about what other people did. :)

This is a long post, sorry if it waffels on a bit.

Ok, I'm sticking my fingers in a few pies today.

DarkSarcasm,

There is a bit of a bigger picture here as I can see it.

First off, you are doing circuits. On one landing, you stop and the instructor gets out and you continue solo. You want to know what you "should" do.

Let's step back a bit.

There are two of you in the plane, and you turn down wind. This is before the instructor gets out. Down wind checks:

As you are now in the circuit, the altimeter SHOULD be correct. If it isn't you will soon find out. More on that later.

Fuel quantity: Not empty - or even near.

Fuel switch: on.

Fuel pump: on.

Trim: set.

Switches: on. (That's mags etc)

Hatches and Harnesses, closed and secure.

You get past the runway and throttle back. (Looking out the side of the plane)

Carb heat: Out.

You lose airspeed and put down flaps - plane specific.

Radio call - turning base.

Descend to 600 foot AGL. (about)

Turn final 500 AGL.

Flaps: As needed.

Pitch controls air speed, engine RPM controls rate of descent.

Maintain approach.

300 feet AGL:

Carb heat: IN!

Windsock: - is this the right runway? (See below)

Runway: Clear. Make sure there are no planes, animals, obstructions on the runway.

200 feet:

Aim for about 50 feet AFTER the keys. This helps avoid short landings.

Land.

Quickly on the wind sock:

Assuming there is a "stiff breeze"

If you can see the wind sock's side, then I'd say there is a cross wind and you are approaching the wrong runway.

If you are looking at the sock and it is either pointing at you or away, then you are on the correct runway, but! exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif

If you are screaming along over the ground, you have a tail wind: GO AROUND!

You will know it is a head wind - remember there is significant wind that the sock is inflated - you will be moving slowly over the ground.

So, you have landed.

Engine still running.

Instructor gets out.

What do you need to do?

Well, here's my take:

You know the altimeter is correct because you just landed.

Fuel, that was checked on down wind. You saw how much fuel you had then, and it was maybe 3 minutes ago. CHECK IT AGAIN! If there is a leak, take offs are not a good time to learn you have one. ;)

Fuel pump: ON! Double check that. Sometimes I switch it off after I land because of the noise it makes.

Flaps: CHECK THEM! It is not nice taking off with full flaps. If you landed and put down second stage flaps, taking off like that is achievable, but not nice when you get off the ground in no time and start climbing like crazy, then start to retract them.

Make a radio call - taxing for runway.... for circuits.

While taxiing, sure check the stick/control surfaces. Remember to do a FULL CIRCLE with the stick. Two circles may be better. This makes sure there are no jams/problems with the linkages.

At the hold point, do a run up check. You could do this while taxiing *IF* you are confident enough to break, throttle and do the mags all at the same time, but I'd suggest you do it at the holding point for now.

Quick thing on the altimeter:

As you were doing circuits, I said it is ok. If you were coming in from somewhere else it gets a bit tricky.

The thing is this:

You know the altitude of the runway. +1000 feet is circuit height. You over fly at +1500.

If you think you are in the circuit and the other planes are at different heights, EXIT the circuit and establish the local QNH with them before re-joining.

No planes?

Well, then it gets "tricky".

I won't go into it now/here becuase I don't think you need to worry about that just yet. No offence.

Oh, and finally:

Really, at the end of the day, YOU DO WHAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE NEEDS TO BE DONE before flying.

If you think you need to check the oil, check it.

If you want to check the tyre pressure, check it.

Ok, bad examples, but do NOT let others tell you things do NOT need to be checked.

With time you will learn the important things to check and not check those which don't.

Until then: Check what you want, and don't be affraid to ask.

Good luck.

Safe flying.

Darky I'd suggest that you go to the normal run up bay, do your normal checks, and do your normal pre-flight safety briefing.

They are pre-take off checks after all, and you are about to take off.

If you don't, you just might forget something (trim springs to mind, or flaps, or fuel pump if required). Plus, if your instructor has just jumped out you might be in a different frame of mind (excited, nervous) - normalise everything, do it the same, because your instructor won't be there with you to pick up on any forgotten items.

A couple of points. Some aircraft have different run up RPMs for the first flight of the day and subsequent flights, so you may be able to use a reduced RPM for this run up. If you are not sure, do what you normally do.

Before taking off, always do a "flow" type check, left to right, top to bottom. Look at every instrument (and trim, and flap) making sure it is as expected. Say to yourself (or out loud, even better), things like "Airspeed indicator reading zero. QNH/altimeter set. DG aligned to compass. Temps & pressures in the green. Flaps set for take off. Trim set for take off. Switches as required. Fuel on, sufficient, correct tank." etc. Look left to right, top to bottom, at everything.

One simple check is CIGARS. Controls free and in correct sense. Instruments checked left to right, top to bottom. Gas - on, sufficient, correct tank, pump as required. Attitude trim set. Runups. Switches. (Although I prefer to do a control check after run ups). The flow check will catch anything you've missed though.

Preflight safety briefing is what you'll do if everything goes according to plan. "I'll line up on runway xx for left hand circuits, the circuit height is ..." And what to do if things don't go according to plan. "If the airspeed indicator is not reading, temps & pressures not as required, static RPM x RPM, any smells or vibrations I will close the throttle and stop on the runway. If I have an engine failure below x feet indicated, I will land ahead, best glide speed is .... If time, initial checks are ...etc etc."

Then if something unexpected does happen after this take off, you'll be prepared.

Someone said to use elevator to control speed and power to control rate of descent. That's an interesting one and open to different views. Power and attitude = performance so a combination of the two will work, but as you move into higher performance aircraft you'll find it more effective to maintain a stable approach by pointing to where you want to land with elevator and using power to control speed. The majority of GA schools teach this way now, so you don't have to change your way of thinking somewhere down the track. Having said that, if you have not been taught this way, stick with what you know for now!

Checks.

There's a lot been written so far. I won't speak to it directly on every point, but generally NEVER BE RUSHED. IF you pull over and do the checks that YOU are FAMILIAR with . you start from a DATUM that YOU understand and will not overlook the IMPORTANT checks because they are included. The take-off has to have everything right with the aeroplane configuration, or it can come to grief, the go around from low level or contact has to have evrything right also and you do not have the time there to sit and do it slowly so this has to be more rehearsed. Carb heat "OFF"and flaps to T/O setting are critically important, as is ensuring that the throttle is FULLY open. The necessity to retrim will become obvious Most of this stuff is self evident if you analyse the situation but this is between you and your INSTRUCTOR. Eliminate confusion where possible. Don't get too many opinions especially in the initial stages of your training. The initial training is kept as simple as possible consistent with safety. The finessing can come later and never stops. Nev.

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo, I'm pretty sure that billy was having a go at the nanny as we went in for a cup of tea. I have a memory like an elephant unfortunatly. Don't you feel sorry for Querty, he's obviosly very Tasmanian. ?..........................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Tomo, I'm pretty sure that billy was having a go at the nanny as we went in for a cup of tea. I have a memory like an elephant unfortunatly. Don't you feel sorry for Querty, he's obviosly very Tasmanian. ?..........................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yeah right.... prol'em is there was no billy... Mother and kid at that stage so maybe just a little playing around happening! (both being of the nanny kind)