Treat your logbooks like gold

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

During my 10 years of reckless but throughly enjoyable skydiving in the 70s, I managed about 1200 jumps, and racked up over 24 hours of freefall time. I survived the often dangerous gear of the period, and managed to fill about four skydiver logbooks. (yes they have logbooks, and licenses too)

Unfortunatly over the years, and due to much travel, I have lost the first three logbooks. They are un-replacable links to one's adventurous past, and I really miss not having them to look at occassionally, to remind me of some great adventures, and escapes.

Since starting flying in the early 80s, I have happily filled another four log books, and I often refer to them when posting on this forum, as I did tonight, when posting a thread, and referring to a Storch I ferried a few years back.

Every time I grab a logbook I can't resist reading a few entries, and the recollections although at times sweet or sour, are always enjoyable.

My first logbook with my first 200 hours in it, is particuraly enjoyable, and like good wine time has seemed to seasoned the memories a bit.

I am very happy that I still have all four, and proud of the often hard-won hours in them. The fact that I am still logging, tells me I must be doing something right.

I treat my logbooks like gold these day, they are some of my most precious possessions, and I'm sure many of you more seasoned flyers out there, will understand where I am coming from.....................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I still have my log books. 4 for skydiving, 1 for hang gliding and paragliding, two for flying. then there logs i kept for commercial sailing and diving.

You don't realise how important they are until you get a few years into the sport.

When i started flying 'minimums' in 77 a logbook was not required but i kept note of my early hours by keeping track of the two stroke oil i used. when i started to run out of space for the 1lt containers i started to keep a log book. it starts at 45 hrs and has just about all the time i have ever flown be it ultralights or GA. I did not realise how important it would be later on down the track. Turns out my log had a lot of "historical" information that proved important to the late Tony Hayes when he was putting the time line together for the Thruster. As the years go by they are good to go back thru and see how one has progressed and to jog one's memory on the smaller details as well. Keep them in a safe place.

Ozzie

VH-MOO has just had a couple of changes. Wing tip extentions. (Won't fit in the hanger now) and big fuel injected Continental 550HP? and three blade prop. can take 5 to 14000' in the same time as it used to take four to 10,000. It now lives at Elderslie.

Guest Maj Millard

Gee Merv, that must be some log book, I use the 300 line ones and it takes a while to fill one of those..............................................................................................hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Guest Maj Millard

It's the standard pilot log, ASA/SP-40 Red cover, 7 lines per page-100 pages. Dosen't say who makes them but I get them from Aviall....................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Keep them in a safe!

Logbooks vary considerably in page numbers and lines per page - so your logbook 'total' isn't necessarily a guide to TT.

And, instructors are likely to fill many more lines than aggies or long haul RPT pilots simply because they conduct mostly 1 hr sessions - all of which need to be on a seperate line. An aggie simply writes in a 1 liner,eg .. canola-insecticide spraying - 7 hrs.

My logs date back a way - but for interest:

#1 Dept of Civil Aviation 1963 25 pages with 27 lines/page

#2 Dept of Civil Aviation 1967 90 pages with 25 lines/page

#3 Dyson-Holland Trng 1983 50 pages with 22 lines/page

#4 Civil Aviation Authority 1991 60 pages with 25 lines/page

#5 Aviation Theory Centre 1998 60 pages with 20 lines/page

#6 Aviation Theory Centre 2006 50 pages with 26 lines/page - half full.

Try to write at least a 'point-of-interest' about each flight you do - you don't have enough memory without this.

Your kids, and grandies, will find it interesting at some time in the future, especially when they begin to fly themselves.

happy days,

When I joined RAA (at Canberra headquarters) :clap:they asked if I wanted to buy a log book at the same time.092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif This made sense.

When I got into the plane to read all my new exciting paperwork I was dissapointed when I saw the log book.thumb_down It's a real crummy cheap layout, especially when I compare it with my old gliding log, which had lots of space for lots of info & notes.

question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif So my question is - can I remove the pages of this log book & paste them into another more substantial one:question:

Thanks

H

Guest Maj Millard

Hey it is your personal record, unless your commercial, I don't see a problem. Write it in texture on the dunny wall if you like .............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hey it is your personal record, unless your commercial, I don't see a problem. Write it in texture on the dunny wall if you like .............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A lot of people now are using electronic log books. A lot of skydivers are using an altimeter that records things like jump number, exit height, freefall time and opening height along with maximum speed obtained during freefall and time under canopy. It will store your jumps onboard and then can be downloaded via usb onto your electronic log book which can then be printed out. pretty trick this tech stuff.A log book is suposed to be a legal document. if you scratch your hours on the back of the dunny door it would look pretty weird if the judge made you produce your log in court.

Logbooks

1) RAAus Ops Manual Section 2.02 refers

2) CAR 5.51 is the primary reference

A logbook consists of a number of pages bound together in such a way that the pages may not be replaced or removed

An electronic record is not acceptable as a logbook. However, a computor printout bound together in the form of a logbook, and maintained up to date, is acceptable

All manual entries to the logbook must be made in permanent ink.

Time logged shall be determined from when the aircraft moves until it comes to rest, ie 'chock-to-chock' time.

As with most CASA regulations - there are some apparent inconsistencies - as in the 'computor printout' reference. You can easily alter an electronic record,then reprint it - whereas a standard logbook cannot be so amended without leaving a really obvious 'trail'

What isn't said in the above is that any corrections to the logbook should only be made by crossing out the incorrect entry - not 'whiting out' or 'overstickering'

If you have a good GPS - it will record your 'movement' time to the nearest 0.1 hr

happy days,

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo and Maddogmorgan, Don't feel too put out being at your end. Many of us 'seasoned pilots' often wish were were at the beginning again, we were there once also remember. Personally I'm quite happy where I am at the moment, and my credo these days is 'get as many hours as you can baby'. Tomo as short as it was, it was fun to fly with you, and to observe your youthfull exzuburence (I know that's not how it's spelt !). I was actually fairly impressed with your level of confidence and skill, in a new aircraft type. Hope we get a chance to do it again sometime !! It's obvious those Jabs haven't taught you too many bad habits.......................................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Tomo as short as it was, it was fun to fly with you, and to observe your youthfull exzuburence (I know that's not how it's spelt !). I was actually fairly impressed with your level of confidence and skill, in a new aircraft type. Hope we get a chance to do it again sometime !! It's obvious those Jabs haven't taught you too many bad habits.......................................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hey Thanks a lot Major... very encouraging! :thumb_up:

Haha, you and Jab's just don't seem to mix...!! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I had not seen the pages were not supposed to be removable. Not that it matters, I had to ront up in court with my log book and after waiting for 3 days I was told that the log book was not evidence as it could have been falsified. So much for a legal document. The good news was that the bloke that caused my court showing was convicted.