Survey Results

Admin

This thread is about discussing the results on the recent Recreational flying survey

Survey Results - Colour Scheme

The results of the survey relating to the colour scheme came out very clear:

[ATTACH]9528.vB[/ATTACH]

You will notice that the default colour scheme has been slightly changed to a different shade of blue which I think gives a bit cleaner and fresher look.

The buttons that are along the bottom of posts you can also see have been enhanced to try and make it a bit easier to understand.

The Forum titles on the forum home page have been made a bit clearer to also make them easier to see.

If you don't like this new style (called "New Blue") then there is an option at the bottom of any forum page to change it back to the way it was for yourself. At the page bottom you will find "Quick Style Chooser" and a drop down box where you can go back to the previous style which is called "True Blue" - just click on the drop down box and click "True Blue" in the list - that is as easy as it is.

Hope you like these slight changes.

Note: There will be more changes to the site colour scheme however these will be done over a period of time so as to not cause any dramatic impact to users.

colour.jpg.dc37e88fdbaa25d4477dba3fc417d9c1.jpg

Survey Result - Providing site support for users

One of the areas of the survey was to find out how complicated and frustrating the site is to use. The results were:

[ATTACH]9530.vB[/ATTACH]

In the comments the posting of images came out as an area that wasn't easy for users to do. We have a sticky thread on how to add images:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/announcements-site-news/4073-how-insert-images-your-post.html

but we can do more on assisting users to get the best out of using the site.

One enhancement we are currently working on is an advanced FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and Help Desk System. You will be able to browse through the FAQ for using any of the site's features and you will be able to log a Help Desk Ticket. When you enter a new ticket (only you see your tickets) you will get the help and support you need from a new technical team that is going to be established.

The new Help Desk and FAQ system:

[ATTACH]9531.vB[/ATTACH]

Each section will have a list of the FAQs on how to use the section

[ATTACH]9532.vB[/ATTACH]

Each question has a "How To" answer

[ATTACH]9533.vB[/ATTACH]

The Help Desk System allows you to enter a request for help

[ATTACH]9534.vB[/ATTACH]

All your help desk tickets are listed for you to see

[ATTACH]9535.vB[/ATTACH]

You can see all the correspondence between you and a site support person on your help desk ticket

[ATTACH]9536.vB[/ATTACH]

Populating all the FAQs will take some time and I can't really start doing that until I have completed most of the other changes as any change will impact the FAQs.

This is one enhancement I have been wanting to do for some time and now that the survey has been done and the site is setting its future for the years to come it is a great opportunity to actually do it.

I hope that when it is done that you will find it useful

0.jpg.398bc41c47de26f680883f5d53fec5d6.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.684ba0c659b6a8e971301c4b88e63b92.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3642c8103c78065d42bc2ce04cf5948b.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.9309809d97ae20b21886108e5ea82932.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.faa7a1d6a0eea33f09fb6d6637827e63.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.f8a7722d3f025de49ba1efdef5ac44bb.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.72950f2974487e9658c53534edad59d3.jpg

Survey Result - Speed

The survey results are showing that the changes we made this year in our hosting arrangements have worked. The speed of the site is in most cases acceptable and whilst it hasn't come cheap it is well worth the extra expenditure to help make your use of the site more pleasurable.

We should be able to stay with the current server configuration for some time now however when we moved servers this year we did it in a way that would also make it easier to upgrade memory and processor power without any adverse impacts to the site. This means that over the next 5 years we will be able to accommodate the site's growth.

Please note that we are always mindful of those that are still on dial up or satellite so we will also be introducing a lightweight site scheme for increased speed in display of the site. Those users who wish to use that scheme will be able to select it as their default style at the bottom of each page on the site.

We will also some time in 2010 be introducing a Mobile Phone scheme so the site can be browsed much easier on a mobile phone or PDA.

These have both been added to the 2010 plan

speed.jpg.cc8ca081f729b906efae20d4d4e67c20.jpg

Survey Result - User Licenses

A couple of years ago we did a poll that showed approx 83% of site users were RAAus members. The recent survey seems to show that we have maintained that % as we have grown over those years.

[ATTACH]9559.vB[/ATTACH]

However, in retrospect I feel that I didn't create the question properly:

1. I didn't make any allowance for students who did not specifically have a license/certificate as yet but were currently in training for the RAAus one

2. I should have put the word "current" to better reflect more accurate figures.

So I am making the assumption that out of the 76 respondents to the question that the figure is still in the 80 to 85% of site users are RAAus members.

The 2nd part to the results on licenses shows that around 20% of site users are also PPL licensed. When you note this figure with other survey results that I will report on when I get to them we will need to consider the PPL elements of "Recreational" flying - more on this later.

The 2nd question that is displayed in the results referring to staying at your current level of license in the short term is just for general information.

Hope these survey results are helping you as much as they are helping me to fine tune the site for you and your continued use and pleasure of using the site.

licence.jpg.7134ca47a132407c8a0d50fb5c00bf9d.jpg

Survey Result - Site Name, Location & Identity

The survey was very clear that the site should have an Australian and New Zealand identity with pilot tools specific to these regions (News to stay global) rather then being a site with less specific tools and features in order to have a more global appeal:

[ATTACH]9560.vB[/ATTACH]

In 2009 we experimented with making the site more global and splitting it up across other domains for safety - just in case one part of the now large site caused an error that it wouldn't bring the entire site down with it.

However, there where two costs to this. One was the internet cookie system that needed to cover all the domains and the huge penalty that Google applies to the ranking of sites that are split up. Google isn't stupid as they look at the links between sites as a positive but Google who knows if the sites are on the same server, have the same domain name owner, the same domain name registrar etc etc etc - add it all up and they become wise to it and then starts penalising sites for doing it. Another person copied us and split their site up just after we did and whilst our ranking dropped about double, their site dropped by nearly 5 times (they are now 6.3 millionth and we dropped to only 1.2 millionth. This means that we did manage the split properly or better then what others can do by splitting the site up and also going to a completely new domain .org. But this still left us with the cookie issue so just recently I combined most of all the sites back into one here at .org and our figures are now going back up again:

[ATTACH]9561.vB[/ATTACH]

Google isn't stupid 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

So why is this important? Because this site isn't about stimulating people's egos like the average web site can be but it is the medium that is used to achieve those 3 objectives that I am always referring to - increase pilot safety, increase a pilot's knowledge of proper maintenance and to increase the flying skills of all recreational pilots. So the more this site can be a repository of information by having more users posting that helpful information, instead of it being spread all around the internet where pilots with limited time to spend of the internet can miss that helpful information, means we can go a lot further in achieving those 3 objectives for ALL recreational pilots.

This leaves one more thing - our name, identity and location.

[ATTACH]9562.vB[/ATTACH]

The above survey results show overwhelmingly to keep the name Recreational Flying.

So by mixing it all together and adding the results of other survey questions into the pot it shows what I believe to be is that to establish our identity back we need to do 2 things:

- The site to be a dedicated one for Australian and New Zealand pilots with pilot tools, information and sections that are more specific to these two regions and the recreational pilots in them.

- We need to go back to one main site with our Australian name of .com.au to reflect the region and help those in those regions to find us easier in Google.

So, I will move the site very soon back to our .com.au name and address of recreationalflying.com BUT it will be very painless as it will be a very simple thing to do and I am sure will not cause any grief to 99.9% of you. It is much easier going back to .com.au as one site compared to splitting the site up and moving it to many different domains and names.

I hope you agree with me and like the fact that we will get our Australian name back that we will use for many years to come. Our NZ domain of recreationalflying.co.nz will point to .com.au. I spend around $3,000 a year advertising this site here in Australia so we will direct some of that in 2010 to commence extensive advertising and marketing of the site to get more of our Kiwi friends involved here as well (remember my wife is a Kiwi so I have already started on that).

There are many great things coming out of the survey results mixed with gut feeling, phone calls, PMs, user comments etc that are really helping to create Recreational Flying (.com.au) for many years to come - thank you to everyone that helps!

1259129649_SiteLocation.jpg.fdf593cf7ed20ada424b97f4266ee57f.jpg

stats.jpg.29996bee7d3261198febe65f64d8f2e4.jpg

name.jpg.5bc0ca2e78100f613f11bf6b4b163b79.jpg

Survey Result - Site Navigation

The survey results on how easy is the site to navigate around shows that it is fairly easy but there is always room for improvement:

[ATTACH]9563.vB[/ATTACH]

The comments in this area whilst many being very positive there were however a couple like:

"Less Menus and sections"

"Simplify but make more modern"

"Newer Layout, More generalised links, going to pages with more specific links"

"The main menu has so many choices some really nifty features just never get noticed"

Not sure how I can make everyone happy, and I am not likely to be able to either, but here is just a suggestion on a new navigation system that would be great to get comments on:

[ATTACH]9564.vB[/ATTACH]

There are a few tabs that contain drop down lists of the sections that are contained within that group. Subject to further analysis of the survey results on the different sections, these could contain a structure of:

Home

Forums

Pilots Tools

- Airfields

- Flight Planner

- Pilot Quizzes

- Terminology

- Training

- Weather

Aircraft

- ADs & ANs

- Aircraft

- Aircraft Register

- Maintenance

Multimedia

- News Reader

- Photo Gallery

- Radio

- Television

- Video Library

Community

- Blogs

- Clubs/Schools

- Events

General

- About

- Articles

- Classifieds

- Downloads

- Famous Quotes

- Games

- Links

Shop

We could offcourse have a setup instead of across the top in the screen shot but on the left like where the current main menu is but also condensed into grouped together.

We could also just leave it as it is.

SWite navigation is one of the hardest yet most important things to get right so I would welcome any further comments - thanks!

navigation.jpg.8f3438e28e1c225addad39c34b631296.jpg

460115031_proposedscreenshot.thumb.jpg.2ea72b68798b1d5215d62c9a24b1fbad.jpg

I really like it the way it is. It took you a fair bit of effort to get it to this

stage, where most users seem pretty content.

Keep it fast and simple to navigate, not pretty ( modern) and slow.

More links in the main menu NOT LESS

The only ones that are a bit hard ( well more work ) to get to are

" Aircraft Type Usergroups" - sub group of your choice

Both requiring going to a sub menu, and in the case of specific ac type, scroll down a fair way then picking out of a long list - rather not have to do the scroll down thing at least

and

"subforum_old.gif Aviation Laughter "

Like others on the bottom of the list - requires a lot of scrolling

Both requiring going to a sub menu, and in the case of specific ac type, paging down a fair way then picking out of a long list - rather not have to do the paging down thing at least

We are here to 1st to read, gather info and communicate

In reflection I guess the "forum" page needs to be split with MORE options from the main Menu

IMO anyway

Suggestion

Looking around at the menu suggestions got me thinking

- yep does happen sometimes.

Another site I visit has a recent activity type log, a bit like "New forum posts" but includes other things as well eg video added, blog addition, article added, etc, etc

One of these (" New Site Activity " selected on the blue bar menu beside " new forum posts") type pages, that didn't include forum posts as they are already covered, and had a marked as read ( like the forum ) so it only showed what each individual user hadn't looked at would be really nice, and may encourage some of the other great areas to be more used and frequented.

In a way a site education tool, it may even mean that some things that have a home elsewhere but end up in the forum get put in the correct spot. :big_grin:

Thoughts anyone? :thumb_up: or thumb_down or :hittinghead:

Site navigation.

Gday Ian,

You could chase your tail forever with site layout. What you have is fine. There are some that could be given higher precedence but that is mostly personal preferance and you will never get that right.

Bottom line.....its fine that way it is.

Cheers, David.

Just looking at my screen right now, it looks like he's fiddling Pud. That bloody banner across the top has changed.

He is a bit like RAAus, just when you get used to it he stirs it all around and you have to re-learn it all again.

65% (roughly) gave the layout an above average score. The layout is OK.

And who logs out, I just shut down the nerd box.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - just added a couple more quick links due to Tracktop's comments.

The Main Menu is in alphabetical order which means some areas that are not as popular end up higher in the list then say the Forums are. I use to like it when it had Aviate, Navigate, Communicate and Fun breaking the menu up but that means 4 more lines in it - perhaps it is worth grouping things together in the menu and accept the extra lines - Cost Vs Benefit

Its fine mate, you don't need to worry about it too much. The main menu works well, I like a flatter menu with less levels. The blue banner is fine too.

If you remove My links or New posts, I'm afraid that I'm gunna have to hunt you down.

BTW your One Day Only special has been ther for three or four one days only. Come on, keep up, what have you been doing.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

BTW your One Day Only special has been ther for three or four one days only. Come on, keep up, what have you been doing.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Come on Query your usually on the ball more than that

"SPECIAL!

(our different daily special will return in the new year)"

I'm with you on My Links and new posts :thumb_up:

Ian

Blue bar is worth a try. Was suggesting an all in one haven't read page ( not including forums) but obviously this was an easier implementation and worth a try to gauge comments, use etc 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Ian,I find the site quite easy to use as it is. What would be neat is an RSS syndication feed as a part of the forum - does the forum software that you use support this?

Yes it does but I have disabled it for various reasons :big_grin:

Come on Query your usually on the ball more than that"SPECIAL!

(our different daily special will return in the new year)"

DOH :yuk:

Survey Result - News

The survey has shown that many of you read the Aviation News on the site and the results will help to fine tune the way the news is done.

[ATTACH]9568.vB[/ATTACH]

It is also obvious that the news should come from all around the globe:

[ATTACH]9569.vB[/ATTACH]

The News Reader is the preferred method to read the news. The Reader has had a problem displaying news to users that are using either Google Chrome or Apple Macs. This due to the great help of Stanzahero, a user on the site, has now been fixed - I couldn't figure out what was wrong but Stan had a look and found an extra "/" in the code that these browsers didn't like. Still, the News Reader is only at version 1 and there is room for improvement but naturally I can't do anything about speeding up the display of the news page in the reader as this is completely dependent on the site where the news is located and the speed of your PC and internet connection. At least it is quicker then clicking on a link, seeing the news site, coming back to here, go to next news item, click on a link etc etc etc

[ATTACH]9570.vB[/ATTACH]

The news is showing that it is or will help as a tool in achieving the site's objectives

[ATTACH]9571.vB[/ATTACH]

The following results will help me to be more specific in which news items I select to be displayed. Some days there are 300 to 400 news items, some of them doubled up from different sources but many have to be vetted for content before they are selected to be displayed. Please note that some days there is simply no news items that I can find on subjects like recreational etc. Just the other day 95% of the news I could find was just all about the US plane attempted hijacking and absolutely no news items on trikes of recreational aircraft that wasn't already reported on a week earlier.

[ATTACH]9572.vB[/ATTACH]

Some comments on the News were:

- Perhaps have the international news and Australian news can be separate. So you can look at your choice

- The ability to select and set the areas in which I'm interested

- less commercial, more amateur

- Bigger font, many of the news pages display at greatly reduced size and are hard to read (certainly that is the case with Firefox as browser )

- Maybe more local focus, but no real need to change

- we need to see and hear about more women in the news and their achievements. Its gets a bit "Bloksie" sometimes

I use to split the news up first into recreational and non-recreational, and then I changed it by region. Doing this causes an enormous workload on every news item and also the way it is displayed but I agree it would be good if there is a simpler way of doing it. The news takes around 2 to 3hrs to do between 7am and 8:30pm so any way to reduce that time would be the way to go however without sacrificing the quality.

I owe a great deal to Stanzahereo for helping to resolve that coding issue but now I would really like to hear any comments on ways the news can be improved even more then what the survey has shown - your comment may improve the news for many others as well.

Thanks!

news.jpg.4aab49e5d39f920cff8eb95141e813ef.jpg

148164267_newsregions.jpg.035eff4c1c5c0e09103f23cae01451e2.jpg

866249916_newsreader.jpg.3b35ed21cdac977c276280856b8b4eb8.jpg

735200983_newsknowledge.jpg.ee0418fa566058cac8eb8e9d76e3c53c.jpg

894216921_newstypes.jpg.58134846297388b59fed2b95754b76b4.jpg

Ian, you obviously like to stay busy with this wonderful site but when are you going to do someyhing about the banner. At present it's more suitable for city based 4 X 4 drivers going country. Sydney's CDB has nothing to do with flying so let's ditch it. Please.

P.S. Saw a quick glimps of the Masters Millenium at some European air show a few days back. It's obviously finished and on the market now.

The banner is being worked on by Slarti as well as a small amendment to the logo so it IS on the agenda to be replaced.

I am waiting for the master to first prove itself and any minor enhancements are done first before I get one into the country for certification here. The other thing is it is still certified at only 450kg but Europe will soon go to 600kg so it would be silly to get one yet - just waiting for the 600kg to come in over there which is hoped to be soon.

Ian,I am still fairly new to the site and learning. Is there a search facility where you can type in a key word to find posts that might mention a particular subject? Another thing, is there some way of searching the member list for say all members at The Oaks, or Somersby, Cessnock etc.

Great site,

David

David

At the top of the forums main page, a forum displaying all the threads in it and a thread displaying all the posts is the search function.

So if you are on the forums main page the clicking the search link will open a drop down box to enter the text you are searching for and this will search all the forums. The threads in a forum and the posts in a thread all have the same but the search is limited to which is being displayed either posts in all threads or just the posts in a thread.

When you have the members list displayed on thre right side of the blue bar across the top of the list is Search Members. Click that and then click the link in it for Advanced Search. An advanced search window is displayed where you can enter "Oaks" in the Airfield box and this will display all the users that have entered "Oaks" or "The Oaks" etc as their Airfield.

Hope this helps!