Adventure lives !!

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Adventure lives !!.....go Jessica !.

Bit off aviation, but certainly linked to all of us, in terms of the adventurous spirit.

I don't know how many of you, like me, have been following the sailing exploits of Queenslander Jessica Watson. I've been with her since day 1, and check her interesting blog and progress, every couple of days.

I've always considered myself a bit of an adventurer and survivor, and I've always had the most time, and greatest respect for like people. Lets face it, flying is one of modern lifes' greatest adventures, and sets us apart from the rest, every time we line up for take-off.

Regardless of Jessicas' age, and despite some earlier set backs, the girls out there doing it, and so far doing it very impressivly !!.

Without wanting to reflect at all on what Jessica is doing, as I personally believe she will succeed in her adventure, without reservation. I am always reminded of one of Charles Lindbergs' more interesting sayings, from no doubt, one of his more reflective moments. Together with his many other talents, the man was a great thinker.

I quote..." To die in the pursuit of adventure, is a worthy death indeed".....................Charles Lindberg.

Go Jessica !!, and enjoy your great adventure for us all !!...................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yep. I've been on board since before she hit the freighter (minor set-back). I totally admire her spirit and attitude.

She'll be rounding the Horn right about now. I check almost daily, and even added my support on her blog.

When you reflect on the multitude of detractors before she went (a cacophony of criticism), it demonstrated what's wrong with much of our modern society. All ready to knock and bash, because they wouldn't do it themselves, and don't believe anyone should be allowed to - especially a 16 year old girl.

"Who's going to pay for her rescue?" has been a very common whinge.

She is inspirational. Reading those who post on her blog, you can see there are thousands around the world who are actually changing their beliefs and lives because of what she is doing and the way she is doing it.

Go Jess.

Jess and Tomo - rôle models for a young generation.

Guest Maj Millard

Well said Slarti......not enough adventurous people around for my liking, silk gloves ? flush em'..................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Good on her, but watch the media cretins and politians who knocked both her and her irresponsible parents for allowing her to undertake such an adventure be the same people waiting on the dock to be part of her success on her return.....

I've been with her the whole way and debated many people who were critical of her attempt - especially after the freighter accident. They'd ask if I'd send my daughter off to do that, and I'd say if I had a daughter like that I would be very proud. They would say "what happens if she is hurt or worse?" I'd say I'm sure she is aware of the danger, and the danger of the sea is the same no matter how old people are. Poor Andrew Short was a very experienced sailor and he was unfortunately killed before Jessica's departure.

That's a fantatstic quote Maj Millard, how true it is too.

Perhaps as aviators regularly undertaking some type of adventure we understand (in a small way) what it is about. I don't think I know any pilots who were against her.

I do believe she is truly inspirational. Imagine how many told her she couldn't do it. It's too hard. Too dangerous. Too expensive. She's too young. She can't do it, she's just a girl. How strong she is to have enough self-belief to let all of that negativity pass over her like water off a duck's back.

I hope she inspires all of us who are told we "can't" follow our dreams or achieve our goals.

May all of us live our dreams.

I wonder how long the "adventurous spirit" will be allowed to survive? Reading today's Courier Mail (currently holidaying on the Sunshine Coast :)) there was a small article about a rock climber in court for climbing Suncorp Stadium. The charge was one count of "Unregulated high-risk activity".

Without commenting on the stupidity or otherwise of climbing a stadium, I despair a bit that such a law exists and wonder how broad in scope it is? What is considered "unregulated high-risk activity"?

Peter

I do believe she is truly inspirational. Imagine how many told her she couldn't do it. It's too hard. Too dangerous. Too expensive. She's too young. She can't do it, she's just a girl. How strong she is to have enough self-belief to let all of that negativity pass over her like water off a duck's back.

I hope she inspires all of us who are told we "can't" follow our dreams or achieve our goals.

Agree very much so... I was unsure just exactly at first, how she would do it, but I'm happy to see she kept her dream alive and just did it. Despite the negativity.

As people we love to criticize those that are doing something 'different', rather than encourage.

Imagine if the Wright Brothers didn't try anything different!?;)

:thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

So what ?, is it ok if it's regulated....are they expecting to regulate the high-risk out of adventure ?? Tell em' they're dreamin'.............................................

Guest Maj Millard

It is the adventurers who push the boundrys of exploration, for the rest of the population......they are the cutting-edge for species advancement..................................:thumb_up: 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I just hope she passed her HF exam. Plus I am still wondering about her collision on her first start, when the ship she collided with changed course before the collision and didn't seem to give the proper sound signals. Good luck to her, it is good to see someone rising above all the beaurocratic controls.

"Unregulated high-risk activity" has probably been given a meaning by the draughting officer who included it in legislation somewhere on the direction of nanny state politicians who would take most of the fun out of life.

On its face, it seems to refer in very subjective terms to activity which may be regarded as high-risk (life-endangering?) and which is not otherwise specifically referred to in legislation which would purport to control it.

Wing-walking without a parachute comes to mind... so does Russian roulette.

kaz

Guest Maj Millard

Hence the classic display by Anna Bligh against Jessicas' adventure, and she calls herself a Queenslander ??........Sorry to get political..................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I wonder how long the "adventurous spirit" will be allowed to survive? Reading today's Courier Mail (currently holidaying on the Sunshine Coast :)) there was a small article about a rock climber in court for climbing Suncorp Stadium. The charge was one count of "Unregulated high-risk activity".Without commenting on the stupidity or otherwise of climbing a stadium, I despair a bit that such a law exists and wonder how broad in scope it is? What is considered "unregulated high-risk activity"?

Peter

Now we are getting to the root of the problem. It is unreasonable of society to remove fun on the basis that it is an "Unregulated high-risk activity". I happen to respect people who derive pleasure and satisfaction from such persuits. It looks like there is no reason for me to even attempt to live within the law if the law is framed in such a broad brush way as to exclude the very nature of what I like to experience.

Settle down fellow adventurers, this charge is used quite regularly for those who seek to climb things they shouldn't ie. telstra/water towers etc, town halls, churches, usually full o' the proverbial where there is really nothing to be gained adventure wise and the intention is to cause damage or launch objects (other than aircraft) off the top at other buildings/persons. It replaced an older charge of unauthorised climbing on structure but the legislative boffins decided to try to encompass a whole broad pattern of behaviours.

It does seem that society is becoming very stale though and with every story you get some boring expert from some interest group givng their opinion as to why nobody sould do anything because everything is dangerous...

Thanks Sue, should have known laws were viewable online. So that particular subsection only relates to climbing or jumping off public structures (as Relfy kindly explained). Good!

Maj...that's a very wise statement about adventurers advancing the species. Where would we be if people didn't take risks. Humans certainly wouldn't be flying!

Peter

• 3 months later...

Just incase you haven't heard..... Jess will be crossing the finish line just before midday today at Sydney harbour. Accompanied by about 3000 boats and an estimated 100,000 people ready to welcome her home. There will be live coverage I'd imagine on certain Channels.

Good onya Jess - terra firma will be pretty wobbly for you for a few days!!

Guest Maj Millard

Well done Jess !!!.....you've made me very happy, and good luck to you in the future.............Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif