Just Landed

Guest Howard Bradley

Guest Howard Bradley

Hi Just landed,

From UK fly a Jabiru 450 SPL aged 69 Glider Pilot and ex Tuggy ,

Built the Jabi from kit form great machine .

Thanks for having me

Welcome to the Forum Howard,

Its good to see pilots registering worldwide, I am sure you have much knowledge and many experiences to share with us all here..

Welcome.

Guest David C

Hi Howard ,

Great to have another " pom " on board . Was feeling a little lonely on my own . Visited my old airfield , Wolverhampton a few weeks ago , saw a Jab there , and quite a few Icarus's too . Welcome aboard and enjoy .

Dave

Hi Howard ,Great to have another " pom " on board.

Dave

- David, I actually only just found out the other day what pome stood for. When the convicts here were cleared from there incarceration in Australia they would call those that were still classified as a prisoner as a Pome - Prisoner Of Mother England - a bit of useless trivia 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Howard Bradley
Welcome & g'day Howard.How many hours do you have on your J?

I'm building a J230 & can't wait.

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff just 15 hrs on the Jabi cant wait for our summer :big_grin:

Guest Howard Bradley

David nice to hear you were at Halfpenny Green , The Jabiru may have been my friends he flies out of there , I am only about 10 miles from the field

Guest Howard Bradley

To David C and ALL you other gents I may have missed out on thank you for the welcome , I am just getting my head round the site , made some cock -ups in the replies but am on finals now ,

Super interesting forum ,look forward to keeping in touch , still hurting from the cricket bashing , well done you OZ lads

Guest David C

Howard ,

The Jab at " The Green " was registered G-PHYS I think , it is all white . I spoke to the owner , he said he was interested in building a J430 next , maybe this guy is your mate . He may well remember me , we had quite a chat and he said he may be visiting Aussie soon ........ As for the cricket , well the less said the better !! ....

Dave.

Guest Howard Bradley

Hi Dave ,

Yes you are correct that is Peter Knights machine ,he has helped me a great deal , it was Peter who introduced me to this site , I flew in a 160 from Bundaberg Jan 2006 with my friend Adrian Robo (Robinson ) he flies from that club

Guest David C

Howard ,

It's a small World isn't it !!! . I used to ride my bike over to Halfpenny Green as a youngster , looking at the Austers and Dragon Rapides ( Showing my age now ) , who would have thought all these years down the track I would still be visiting the " Green " and meeting folk , although of course I'm now from Aussie .

Dave

Guest Howard Bradley

Thanks for the reply Dave , I live at Bridgnorth , and a lot of my flying has been from the Long Mynd Gliding Club ,did you ever get there in your youth , I am 69 years young , I was in Oz this time last year , not far from Sydney , a place called Tumbi Umbi , I think it is spelt like that .flew in a 160 Jabiru with my friend Robo from Bundaberg. a fantastic flight I will never foreget ,

Howard

G'Day Howard.

Where is Hughley, i've never heard of it. I have been to the Long Mynd many years ago. The road was so steep my old car had to go up in reverse, couldn't make it in first. they were gliding with bungee launches in those days (1958)

I lived at Stanton Lacy and went back there 2 years ago and it has hardly changed except that all the cowsheds on the farm are now luxury holiday accomodation.

Ian Borg

Guest Howard Bradley

Hi Ian .

Nice to hear from you , yes I have bungee`d many times from the Mynd in a ASW 17 , was tug master for many years ,

Hughley is just west of Harley , you go down the steep bank out of Much Wenlock on the way to Shrewsbury , I have my Jab hangared there ,and it is a 600yd grass strip Dave C is from my neck of the woods also , this is a great forum ,so pleased I have joined , Best Regards Howard

Guest TOSGcentral

Hey Bradley,

Were you at the Mynd end of 69 early 70?

What happened to Earnie the CFI?

Do you remember Mike Valentine?

I always found the Mynd a bit too 'cultured' for a hill site and Camphill was my true home ;) but Mike loved the place. I flew his Foka 3 from there. That day he went to 12,000 in an IMC cu nb climb and I had a hell of a time getting the sled down again on the top when the ridge stopped working! I think the bastards did it deliberately - anyone from Camphill was 'unclean'. But we sort that sort of thing out :big_grin:

Aye

Tony

Guest Howard Bradley

Hi Tony .so nice to hear from you ,

I joined the Long Mynd in 1974 , you are correct Ernie Ainscough was the CFI , Ex ww 2 Mosquito pilot , super guy , debriefed with a walk round the airfield , you are right in those days it was the country squire club , all has changed now , all walks of life as members ,

Ernie died on the golf course some years ago now , my last two flights with him were in wave ,a good flight , then he cleared me for x country , 25/7/76 . Tony nice to speak to you ,would very much like to become your Buddy , a little unsure how to do it , there are another couple of pilots who have come from UK would like to make buddies ,

I have a very dear friend pilot in Bundaberg ,Adrian Robinson , will contact him and tell him about this site , you may want to link -up .

safe Flying , best regards from UK .Howard

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Howard,

I do not know how the Buddy system works or what to do either! Perhaps Ian can shed some light on it.

No matter, experienced Hill Site pilots always have a camaraderie that never goes away. Once you have ridden the big soaring winds from those places you have a different perception and dimension to flying that the ‘flat earthers’ never know.

Like myself you probably know that ‘tense’ feeling you get when an ‘experienced’ pilot turns up and wants to ‘have a go’! Camphill had a lovely collection of photos of some of the nation’s finest ‘hot ships’ mournfully reposing on the grouse moor in various states of disarray – to the displeasure of his Lordship (who owned the place) and the fury of the club committee. They never realized, no matter how much they were told or even shown, that their superior glide angles were instantly crunched by any decent curl-over wind gradient!

I am mildly amused at the reaction to me by some of the local ‘experts’ with just a couple of hundred hours under their belt. They feel I am timid because I will not normally fly students in conditions and turbulence that impedes their sensible acquisition of skills and knowledge with their aircraft. I keep my peace and let it pass. But sometimes I wish I could take them down the Camphill West wind approach a few hundred times – where you turn final at 1000’ agl and land 300 yards in front of that turn! But why make a fuss? It is a totally alien form of flying that I am sure you know.

Sorry to hear about Ernie – but none of us last forever and it seems he went out doing something he enjoyed.

There was a lovely story of Ernie that I treasure and used to trot out to take the tension out of instructor training, using it as an example of why instructors have to have an answer in any situation.

The Mynd had a particularly over-confident (and poor) pilot who was always pushing the tolerance limits. One day he had a glider up on a very weak ridge day (I think it was a Tutor) and the ridge was dying. He persisted and got lower and lower and his turns got worse and worse, and slower and slower. Naturally he eventually span it in and turned it into a neat pile of plywood and fabric.

The club members, headed by a distraught CFI Ernie, rushed up expecting the worst. The pile stirred, then heaved, then this terrible apparition appeared pulling plywood out of his hair and glaring around! He spotted Ernie and instantly strode up to him, grabbed him by the shirt front, drew him in and hissed in his face “It was a (expletive deleted) good job I was (expletive deleted) flying that – anyone else would have been (expletive deleted) killed!â€Â

Poor Ernie was speechless! He may not have had an answer then, but he certainly had a good one by the following day!

Ah well – long time ago now. I still treasure the memories and try not to live too much in the past, but for myself at least modern day recreational flying seems to have lost a great deal of relationship and sharing depths we once took for granted because it was an automatic part of what we did. Sure, like any family there were ups and downs (excuse the pun) – but it always remained with a family bonding that was never spoken about but was always there.

Aye

Tony

The Buddy System

The buddy list is used to keep track of the friends you have made on this forum. By going to your "Open Buddy List" in the "Tools" menu of the Forum Navigation Bar, you'll be able to see which of your friends are currently online and send them a private message. Adding people to your buddy list also allows you to send private messages to multiple forum members at the same time. You may add any member of the forums to your buddy list by viewing their profile or by going to "Buddy / Ignore Lists" in your "My Settings".

Ignore lists are used for those people whose messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.

Hope this helps!

Guest Howard Bradley

Thanks Tony for your quick reply , understand now about the buddies role ,

With a write up like you have just done , its best for all to read it I believe , a learning curve if ever I saw one , I can see that tutor pilot now with bits of wood and fabric sticking out from his hair , blaming everyone but himself .

That curlover you describe or the " clutching hand ) is a lesson all pilots should go through .

I wanted to check my Jabi 450 in a 16 Knt west wind at the Mynd came in high and did a go around , behaved perfect with one up .plenty of power and climb from the 2200 engine .

I retire end of March , probable go back tugging in the Pawnee , and a bit of winch driving , we use a retrieve winch method for bringiing the cable back .

No need to reply to this but hope we keep in touch , super bunch of lads on this forum take care Safe Flying , Howard

Hi Howard, Pity I did not know you were in Tumbi Umbi last year I could have showed you our AT3 which we are building in Bon Mace Cl. Tumbi just off Tumbi Creek rd At the moment I fly a Jab 160 out of Warnevale, We could have given you a lake tour. And speaking of Shrewsbury my brother lives next to Copthorne Hospital. I lived in London for 21 years Hope to speak to you again in the near future Mike:hug:

Guest Howard Bradley

Thanks Mike ,

Nice to hear from you , Yes I stayed in Tumbi -Umbi , flew from Newcastle to Brisbane , then hired a car and drove to Bundaberg, I had nearly completed the build of a UL 450 here in UK , but had never flown one , bought the kit due to love at first sight , Flew on the 3rd of Jan with Adrian Robinson (Robo) out of Bundaberg in his J160 , Super flight down the coast , my very first flight in a Jabi , Adrian took me to the factory and I bought Jabi goodies shirts ect .

On my return car trip to Brisbane got myself a speeding fine , got it days after return to UK , paid it up , might want to come back one day .

Thanks for the message keep in touch Howard