Surviving Forced Landings

Tracktop

I persevered and watched the whole thing. Sure is slow to load, with frquent stops to allow the loading to catch up with the playback. I suggest you start it, pause it, go and have yourbreakfast or what-ever, then come back to it. It is very interesting, informative, and well presented.

I only had one question. The presenter states that in the case of an engine failure on take-off, the survivable landing site will be within 60 degrees either side of the nose. I was taught 30 degrees. Which is right? No height was specified. Don't get me wrong, depending on wind strength and airspeed, 60 degrees might be possible.

Excellent, thoughtful presentation.

Interesting comment about not necessarily sticking to GPS or straight line routes, but planning to suit the terrain and thinking ahead

I don't think exact degrees are critical in forced landings, the main issue is to break the desire to do a U turn back to the life raft of the runway. Main thing is keep the ac flying which is harder without power, so it's better to land straight ahead on rough ground at normal approach speed than drop in so to speak.

There' a good thread on it here somewhere