Admin- Google Earth Uploads on Forums

Powerin

If it's not a security risk, I'm just wondering if it might be useful to allow Google Earth placemarker files (.kmz) to be uploaded and attached to forum posts (I think currently they are not allowed). Then if anybody wants to pinpoint an airfield or interesting place they can post a kmz and others can download it, find it in Google Earth, look at the surrounding terrain and even fly around the area in GE's built-in flight simulator.

I often send kmz placemarkers and polygons to cropdusters to show places to land and paddocks to spray.

If anyone wants a quick Google Earth Howto for this stuff I can write one to put here.

Cheers,

Peter

Have you had a look at the Airfields section - accessed by clicking Airfields in the main menu on the left - all Australian airfields etc are listed there with Google Earth.

If this isn't what you had in mind please let me know - and thanks!

Yes Ian, the Airfields section is fine, but (unless I am missing something) it uses Google Maps not Google Earth. GM only has flat maps/photos whereas with GE you have a 3D app in which you can "fly" around the site and shows terrain, elevations etc. Of course, the disadvantage is you have to download and install GE on your computer. I have noticed that members are posting screen shots of Google Earth showing places like farm strips to give people quick directions. I thought it might be better to post an actual placemarker file (they are under 1kb in size) for people to load into GE.

I just tried to do it but found it wasn't an approved file type to attach, so I thought I'd ask the question to see if people were interested.

Cheers,

Peter

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to see .kml files too - so we can post trips (like those I'm creating with TrackMe on my phone.

Ian - that would allow people to just click on (or maybe open) a .kmz or .kml file to open their Google Earth and go straight to the place or load the trip.

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to see .kml files too - so we can post trips (like those I'm creating with TrackMe on my phone.Ian - that would allow people to just click on (or maybe open) a .kmz or .kml file to open their Google Earth and go straight to the place or load the trip.

You could zip the file and attach it (zip files are allowed) but this just adds complexity for most people...plus it's a bit silly zipping such a small file.

Attached is a zip file of a kmz. It is (I hope) an outline of the Henty machinery field days airstrip. Slarti...you might like to check if this works OK.

Peter

HMFD_strip.zip

HMFD_strip.zip

HMFD_strip.zip

Guest mike_perth

Far out Tomo painting that nice big blue line on the gravel must have taken you ages! What sort of paint did you use??

Mike

Yeah was a big job! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Tomo, you might want to head on over to Goulburn and do the same with 08/26 to help Slarti out - on my Google Earth he missed the runway completely! :stirring pot:

Here's an example trip [ATTACH]14634[/ATTACH]And here's a place (in this case a polygon showing Tomo's strip. [ATTACH]14633[/ATTACH]

question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif Mr SmartyFlyfast, is there a way to "fly" your track:question:

I see a slider bar up top left but can't figure how to get any use out of it:black_eye:

Won't drag, won't paly.......:confused:

H

Hey Slarti, if you wanted a good example of 3D action in Google Earth, I don't think Tomo's strip was the place to go. They haven't invented a 3rd dimension up there yet... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this thread Ian....I have just found the new forum software again does not allow Google Earth kml/kmz attachments. Could you change it to allow these again? Thanks!