Flight planning simulator?

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

I'll be starting navexs soon, and I'll need to use the Avmap EKP IV GPS. Instead of sitting in the aircraft for an hour or so trying to figure out how to plan a flight and which buttons to push, is there any online simulation software that lets me play around with that particular GPS?

G'day Burbles, If you are doing your navs for the a Cross Country endorsement, I'd definitely not use the GPS just yet, otherwise you'll end up relying on it, and that's not a good thing I don't think.

I haven't figured out how to use the 296 properly in the Jab I fly yet, and I've done quite a bit of flying now, I tend to just leave it on the compass page, just to x reference the compass on the roof (and I find the analog compass is a pain to read in this particular aircraft).

Sorry that hasn't particularly answered your question. I downloaded the manual for the 296 (haven't got around to looking at it yet!) and was just going to sit in the aircraft with it and fiddle around one day...

My aircraft Flight Simulator X has Garmin 1000 glass cockpits in a few aircraft, and I find it great to learn which button does what, (it seems to be real), not sure if you can find an aircraft with the avmap to do the same with or not though. You should be able to download the manual for it somewhere I'm sure. Below is a link I just found for it.

Avmap Manual download

Regards,

Guest burbles1

Stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. As much as I'd prefer to use paper maps and a whiz wheel, I'm told I'll need to use the GPS for x/c.

*sigh*

I'll need to download the avmap manuel then.

Highly interesting, but I guess if you are told to, thats what you have to do.... wouldn't hurt questioning it though. (in my opinion)

Yes, I'm afraid downloading the manual at this stage is as much help to you as I can be, I can't seem to find simulators or anything for it, for you.

Perhaps you and your instructor are going on a quick nav just so he can demonstrate what it's like? Me and my instructor have done that but even then charts were brought up as well as GPS.

That's fair enough Burbles. Personally I think you should be able to use any navigation equipment in the aircraft, and GPS units are fantastic devices. There have been numerous incidents and accidents where students became "uncertain of their position" on solo navs, even in aircraft with IFR approved moving map GPS. One incident springs to mind where the student ran out of fuel and did a forced landing.

I can think of another one at night where the pilot became uncertain of his position, flew into CTA, gave incorrect positions to ATC etc, and the aircraft was fitted with a GPS which the pilot didn't know how to use.

Ask your instructor if you can borrow the manual for the GPS. Some schools have GPS units set up in briefing rooms so you can push buttons. You may be able to find information for that model online, I'm not sure. Otherwise see if you can spend some time sitting in the aircraft with the manual (and the instructor if possible), but be a bit careful about spending too much time with it on, the next person might not be too happy if the battery goes flat!

As for learning to navigate by dead reckoning, I'm sure you will do that, and I have a feeling most of your navs will be done with the GPS turned off. However if there is a GPS in the aircraft, you should be taught how to use it.

When you do get up to solo navs, please don't "cheat", do the navs as your instructor suggests (which may be to leave the GPS turned off), but remember it is there if you do become uncertain of your position so you can get home safely. If this does happen, be honest and tell your instructor what happened and accept a bit of additional training in case your next aircraft doesn't have a GPS.

That is a worry Cfi..... funny how people do that to themselves.... cause that is all they are doing, cheating on themselves.

I was given a run through on the basic's, (nsrt) button, on my Solo Nav, if I became hopelessly lost, just use it to get home.

What I don't understand is why would you do something like that? Is it a confidence thing? You've just done all that training and your instructor thinks your capable of a solo nav and you go out to a field, circle it a few times and come back. What a waste.