thoughts on the jab 160

Guest ferret

Guest ferret

i have decided the jabiru should be the go for me as a hopefull new pilot. i want an aircraft that is sturdy, reliable,comfortable and sexy ;)

i have done my first 10 hours in a jabiru (well over 3 years ago now) and was woundering what are peoples thoughts on a basic j160 ? i will be in the market for a new ultralight soon (KIT) and need to start my reasearch so any thoughts would be appreciated.

my main piority would be storage room. i want to be able to transport my model helicopters with me.... and as far as the j160 goes i dont think it has alot of room. the streach has a fair bit though but now the dollars start to play a big roll...

please help

my main piority would be storage room. i want to be able to transport my model helicopters with me.... and as far as the j160 goes i dont think it has alot of room. the streach has a fair bit though but now the dollars start to play a big roll...

please help

The issue with a J160 is not weight but balance. There is a lot of space back there and where is important.

jabiru

:;)7: my darling. i have had a chance to ring jabiru and find out some prices on factory built aircraft J160 and J230. relatively expensive. we are looking at buying a house now as i have a bubs due in 2 weeks and would like somewhere to call my own so i am now thinking about a jab 230 in my new garage ;) but just worry about my building ability. all should take place in the next 12-18 months but licencing will be in a month or so......

:;)7: my darling. i have had a chance to ring jabiru and find out some prices on factory built aircraft J160 and J230. relatively expensive. we are looking at buying a house now as i have a bubs due in 2 weeks and would like somewhere to call my own so i am now thinking about a jab 230 in my new garage ;) but just worry about my building ability. all should take place in the next 12-18 months but licencing will be in a month or so......

- Ferret, make sure you let us know when the bubs arrives won't you - and pictures are a must (not of you but the new bubs 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

bubs

051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif but i thought it was all about me 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif and all u want is the baby.....

i will do and i wll keep you all posted on my flying progress. i wont be doing any for a month or 2 as i want to keep a close eye on bubs and mum when he come's along..... and then i will be in the air..... i can smell it now i am getting excited as i wright this. i only got 10 hours with rudi about 5 years abo but he made them memorable and i hope it is still fun to fly my goal is to take off from melton airfield (as my parents live across the road ;) ) fly across the bay, down to philip island and back again... all by myself in tranquility with no one but me the plane and the sweet smell of sea water

anyway must go i am about to cry 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif 051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

family first ?

hum as i brows this forum now kirsty is in labour 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

i cant wait for a bubs... i will keep you all updated as promised and i will be dreaming of flying again...

I used to carry around my JR Venture 50 in the back of the J400 until I sold it :-( It cost more to run the Venture 50 than the Jabiru did per hour, especially when I crashed it. I later sold the Venture 50 and went on an overseas holiday. I have now downgraded to a Bell47 Twister (electric) RC chopper, available from all good hobby stores. They are a great little machine (no aero's) and similar to fly to the big ones. Highly recommended at $200.

It sorta kinda fitted in the J400. I would be surprised if it would fit in the J160. Perhaps a 30 model would. Weight wise no drama's. Biggest problem will be the curvature of the fuselage and getting it into the back past the aileron control cables.

A standard J230 with a few extra's here and there should cost you between $70k - $75k. Add a GPS and some AH & stuff and you'll be up for closer to $80k.

Factory built as you know is $94.5k.

I have a spreadsheet of what it cost me to build mine. I can forward to you if you wish. PM me, or I could post it here if people want.

It's only 600 hours work or thereabouts!

Mine took 450 - 480 hours prior to painting and around 60 hours to fill and paint.

Guest AusDarren

I'm certainly interested in having a peek at your cost spreadsheet, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one..

thanks!

AusDarren

• 2 months later...
Guest ferret

back at last

well hello all, how have we all been. i have been pre occupied with my new little man julien. he is fantastic. i now am starting to get some free time up my sleeve. i am now in the process of collecting all my cookies and going down to the ballarat aeroclub to retreve my log book and find a suitable flight school (i will chek out ballarat whilst i am there as well)

i never knew having a baby was so much fun i totaly forgot about the outside world.

so how have we all been ?

oh and brentc i would love to have a look at your spreadsheet it would be great.......

Guest danda

Ferret I think you had better ask your wife if having a baby is so much fun.

Anyway Congratulations my wife and I love children they are the future and we owe it to them to leave it to them in good condition.

My wife and I only had 2 of our own the youngest now 34 however until my wife's illness we had 14 foster children kid are just great and the thing they need the most is love.

Don

• 2 years later...

Ferret, you should take advantage of Jabiru's owner assist program and build it there and you can have as little or as much hands on as you need (there is a minimum) and you can have the best of both worlds as well as knowing the build is right the first time.

Thanks for re kindaling my fading dreams you mongrels LOL. Yeah the little man is just over two and a half now and has been the best experience of my life.

This was us last week flying his first R/C Airplane... He can hover My helis as well....