Using PocketPC's/GPS for Aircraft

Guest chaz

Thanks for that Dahl. That will be very handy in the air.

Unfortunately, that is copyright, and specifically forbids storage in a retrieval system.

Unless specified otherwise, AIS Publications may be used only for viewing (in an unaltered form which retains this notice) for information purposes.

It seems the only way to use it legally on your PDA would be the way I intend to. My PDA is also my Phone and is on the NextG network. So I can browse websites in the air with very wide coverage.

I regularly use it to check the latest AWS readings for the airport I'm en-route to (where available). Very handy indeed. I probably will also get a bluetooth GPS to pair it to, although I already have another PDA with a built-in GPS (a Mitac Mio 168 with Co-Pilot software). I haven't tried it in the air yet, but I'll probably stick with DR nav and use OziExplorer moving map for a backup.

My PDA/Phone is a JasJam.

So thanks for your find and sharing. I have added the airservices link you provided to my bookmarks.

I wonder if that covers my legal requirement to take the ERSA with me. Somehow I doubt it.

It might be worth checking with Airservices whether you could download each of the provided PDF files (all the links on that page) and save them to your PDA and build your own index to them. If they allow it then you're good to go, once you download a PDF viewer if you haven't already got one. Mine has ClearVue.

Ross

Cost of subscription to Pocket FMS

wow, so what do you think johnprop, even half of $190 us per year with the donation for Pocket FMS still makes it fairly expensive software, is it worth it?Dahl

Is Pocket FMS worth it? I don't know now with a subscription cost per annum of $95 USD (I assume the donation was a once off).

I would like to hear from those who use an alternative to Pocket FMS what the annual cost of their alternative is. I think perhaps Pocket FMS may have priced themselves out of the Australian market but I'm keen to hear the views of others.

Clive

With software you are allowed to make a legal copy of software that you have legally purchased for backup.

I'm just wondering whether if you buy a legal copy of an ERSA then that gives you the right to make a legal copy for your own use. So you could download the pdf files, if they are just a duplicate copy of the ERSA that you own, for your own use.

Just a thought!

hey Ian,

I sent an email to airservices and they responded as follows:

"no part of the AIS Publications may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, redistributed, republished or commercially exploited in any way without the prior written permission of Airservices Australia." (taken from the link they sent me on their site)

• 2 months later...
Folks,Great thread. I have been using Oziexplorer with both Natmaps and VTC's for over a year now. This software is worth every cent of the $120 odd that I paid for. Maptrax in Cairns emails you fresh VTC's for $5 per map - absolute bargain!

I however went for a different option for flight. I size, print and laminate my route plan onto pages that slip into my knee board for easy reference - whatever the power system is doing. This takes care of map reading.

I also used to drop the route plan onto my Garmin II+ and follow the needle. Now having secured a Lowrance Airmap 600C with terrein avoidance from Oshkosh - this only set me back about $600. I drop the route onto the SD Card for the GPS and have an aviation moving map that is quite legible that is splashproof (I am a triker where we get the elements in the cockpit). This works pretty well.

Next I would like to replace the kneeboard with a tablet notebook such as a miniaturised Panasonic Toughbook - however this seems to be way too costly...

Hope this helps.

Perry

Do you use the MapTrax VTC loaded on your 600c? I've tried loading a scanned WAC map from OziExlorer (Trial) to my card but the 600c won't read the file to allow me to load it. I am going to purchase CD Maps and OziExplorer for planning but would prefer to have an Airservices map on the screen rather than the 600c World Map.

AvMap comes with a wide knee-mount strap; or can be fitted into panel..

Ive been doing some homework on it; spoke to 2 users at Narromine - both said it is "great" but get occasional lock-ups, requiring reset in flight..

Anyone else out there have one??

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/index.php?swt=12&sec=1&ipr=9

Chris - I have an Avmap and although it has probably only had about 15 hours use I haven't experienced any problems with it locking up etc - although a bad batch did come out of the factory with a poor quality cursor control as mine broke on its first use - it went back and was replaced with the updated cursor control.

Anyone else had any problems with their Avmap?