what is the best for open cockpit Drifter

monty

Hi everyone ,

I am looking for the best intercom and headsets for an open cockpit Drifter.

can any Drifter owners or open cockpit owners help with any ideas.

I have a Icon A22 handheld radio at the moment with a patch lead to a GA headset, it doesn't work real well.

Any help would be great ,I know someone out ther has the info I need

Thanks

Monty

I bought a headset, interface and helmet deal from mendlsons. I didn't use power from the aircraft, just zip tied the radio interface on and it worked with the icom. I added a blackwidow antenna later on and this was a great improvment.

i just bought micro aviation headsets and interface from mendelssohns ($1750 ouch!) is it any good? don't know, interface faulty, returned , awaiting outcome.

Do you know that mendelssohns are basically a Scottish company so for example if you buy a garmin off them and it is faulty it has to be sent back to the UK for warranty - I know one guy that told me his garmin is 6 months old but he has only had the use of it for a month.

Don't know about the products that you have purchased but for everyone else especially when buying garmin to only buy from outlets (which ever one you choose) who sell Australian units from the Australian agents unless you want to take a risk with warranty

Thanks merc and Ian,

I looked at mendelssohns but thought they were a little bit expensive for what every one else is charging. However the cost is not the issue where safety is concerned. But I do want the system that works. I ordered a new custom made system over 12 months ago but it still has not shown up and they can't tell me when it will so have to look elswhere.I have sent a couple of emails to places to see what they can supply but it helps to get the info from the people that know. (Drifter Pilots)

Thanks heaps

Monty

A Drifter Driver from Boonah had to send one of his headsets back to Mendelssohn when

It stopped working after one week. That was almost five weeks ago.

Another Drifter at Boonah has had no problem (yet)

Kiwi.

Hi Monty,

I've owned a Drifter for ten years and tried all sorts of combinations after the original intercom let the smoke out.

The best solution was an Xcom that has inbuilt intercom and loads of flexibility - just be cautious about the supplier but they do offer reasonable back up with quick turn around on faults.

As for headsets, go for the blue one's on Clear Prop. Just brlliant. Get an extension to the face shield on the helmet to stop wind noise from constantly opening the mic.

If all else fails, just enjoy the Drifter experience! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

• 4 weeks later...
i just bought micro aviation headsets and interface from mendelssohns ($1750 ouch!) is it any good? don't know, interface faulty, returned , awaiting outcome.

We finally have our headset back from Mendelssohns (over 7 weeks), how did you go with your faulty interface.

Kiwi

My brand new Drifter got it's RAA registration yesterday.

Only got 7hrs on it so far but the XCom radio and Lightspeed Zulu are great.

No intercom use yet as still in test period (not allowed passenger)

We finally have our headset back from Mendelssohns (over 7 weeks), how did you go with your faulty interface.Kiwi

hi kiwi,

still no word on radio interface (over 4 weeks since returned ) hope i don't have to wait7 week,s like you.

merc

Thats inside the Flying Tigers hanger at Boonah. My sails were 10 years old and i decided to re paint the frame while the wings were off. It should be back together in about 3 weeks.

Kiwi

Got you intercom (interface) back yet ?The only thing that is working on my drifter is my intercom!

still no interface, over 5 weeks now since returned to mendelssohn.

merc

10 Years? that sounds pretty dam good! how many hours would that be approx for the skins? and did you paint them or anything?Monty

My Drifter was built in October 1990, Wayne Fisher fitted the next set of skins in February 2000 (at 684 airframe hours)

I purchased the Drifter in October 2001 at 758 hours and the Drifter now has 1585

hours on it.

I UV treated the skins three times a year and it stays in a dark hanger when not in use.

If you look after your Drifter, it will look after you.

Kiwi

ps any news Merc?

Yes jordy I think it's great to. Cannot beleave the power and STOL capacity. You do not lift the tail: the prop wash lifts it as you power on! Have had problems with landings compared to 503/582's as I was bouncing a lot. Comes down to a 912 having so much more thrust on idle...you have to concentrate much more on air speed. At 25hr I am going to back it back as much as possible (to around 1400rpm)...can always use throttle at other times to help the gear box.

Getting back to the forum...the use of standard headsets as previously stated with XCom radio works well. Discovered a problem however with Zulu which are light on head pressure. Hit a air pocket...Drifter dropped...I was strapped into seat thus also dropped...headsets and cap NOT strongly attached therefore head extracted downwards...

Made for very fast snatch and grab maneuver!(two handed...glad it fly well hands off/and I had a bit of height)