Advanced & Low Level Training

Hi There Fellow Aviator’s, as we all know this is a great site with much information and a fantastic camaraderie, which we would all like to see keeping on. With this in mind we have elected to take up the kindly offered opportunity in this thread of advertising.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

BLUE SHED AVIATION began life in Jamestown SA. However we are now relocating to Temora in NSW. At Temora we will be offering Tail wheel, Advanced and Low Level Training, also assisting Jill@ Temora Flight Training as required.

<o:p></o:p>

All in the FUTURE as we are in relocation mode at the moment!

Contact [email protected] www.blueshed.com.au 0408 859697

In the Mean Time Be Safe.

And we’ll “See You in the Big Blue Shed”024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

THOUGHT’S, would appreciate some, in relation to what you would like in the way of Low Level Training. Looking at the possibility of including some low level flying with the Advanced Training. So as to help pilot’s to become confident at handling emergencies occurring at the lower levels.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Cheers Guy

Guy's Background, RAA CFI,L2, Ag Pilot:helmet: Since 1988 !

• 1 month later...

Hi David

A most interesting question you have asked!

What sort of low level endoresment are you looking for?

(What would you be using your low level endorsement for?)

The aircaft in your stable are an impressive bunch, do you own these?

Not familiar with the Javlin!

The one referred to in the RAA operations manual for flight below 500'.

Hi David

This is the one which we shall be offering.

What aircraft are you regularly flying these days, where is you property(hilly,flat,etc), how many hectares do you have?

I am interested in tailwheel - as you can see all our RAAus aircraft are taildraggers. Fronted up to an instructor with our factory built Lightwing GA 912, but he declined because I was too short. I am 4'7" and need something where the seat can move forward (plus cushions) and still give me visibility. I did 3 hours in another Lightwing W1 (about 10 years ago) but did find full rudder difficult without hanging on to the frame. It seemed like I sat on the last 2" of seat and the cushions compressed behind me. Never had a problem with ground handling. Lovely husband has altered the rudders in our other aircraft so I can fly them - only need to get the T/W training in a factory built to steal them. Do you have any suggestions? Anything in your fleet?

Sue

I am interested in tailwheel - as you can see all our RAAus aircraft are taildraggers. Fronted up to an instructor with our factory built Lightwing GA 912, but he declined because I was too short. I am 4'7" and need something where the seat can move forward (plus cushions) and still give me visibility. I did 3 hours in another Lightwing W1 (about 10 years ago) but did find full rudder difficult without hanging on to the frame. It seemed like I sat on the last 2" of seat and the cushions compressed behind me. Never had a problem with ground handling. Lovely husband has altered the rudders in our other aircraft so I can fly them - only need to get the T/W training in a factory built to steal them. Do you have any suggestions? Anything in your fleet?Sue

Hi Sue, the Savage Cub,might fit you. Visibility is Good out the front, but you will have to do S turns, when taxing.The drifter, would probably be better, just have to stick heaps of cushions behind your back, but a least you wont have to sit on any cushions.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Savage Cub looks very much like our Rans Courier S7 but with rounded tail feathers. I am 63kg - marriage, menopause and a management job added about 20kg which I am now trying to get off. Have been in a Thruster & Drifter. Should I put some lead in my pockets?

Sue

Weight.

They usually provide a weighted pad that you sit on. I think the minmum front seat weight is 70 Kgs.(weight and BALANCE thing). Don't take my word for the actual weight. IF you get to fly the Drifter you will enjoy it. There are a some planes that are harder to keep straight, but if you want the T/W endorsement on your cert. it's worthwhile to experience the drifter. It has an unequalled flight view. You might want to GET one. Don't carry anything that may fall out and hit the prop, and pull your helmet visor down BEFORE opening the throttle. Good fun. nev

HI Nev, when i was flying the drifter, i was underweight about 55 kgs from memory, they had to put lead weight under the seat, when i was flying solo, they where made in flat sections, that fitted under the seat cover.I cant remember what the minimum was though.

In the savage Cub, know that im forty and 95 kgs, i am forward of C of G, flying solo, (flown from the front seat solo),I have to have and 20 litres of water in the cargo area, behind the rear seat. To keep in C of G.

Cheers Daryl

Hi Sue

We have The Skyfox, seat no move, have you gotten into one?

Do you need a Factory built? Unless it has changed and please correct me, Iam of the impression that if you own the aircraft and you can find an instructor who will, you can be trained in your own aircraft. ie not factory built!

It is usually that the aircraft have no insurance, that instructors are not that excited about getting in them!

Hope this helps!

Well........ Last time I weighed myself I think the dial went all the way around to about the 56kg mark.... ;) :big_grin: 5' 11'' ish, closer to 6'

Only drama with that is - depends which drifter and how it's configured. The 503 wire braced I learnt in has a front minimum of about 60kg. So with my boots and decked out, it's spot on. I've done many hrs in it now in all types of conditions, fully loaded, and next to nothing. Never had any drama's.

The 582 Strut Drifter handles fine with just me in the front and minimum fuel, but if you put full fuel, and a back pax the CofG would go wrong, so weight it is added, either under the seat cushion (makes it get rather tall though!) or along the rails near your feet/just behind them in front of the seat. Obviously very muchly secured so it doesn't move about and get in the way.

The 582 Wire braced Drifter has a minimum front seat weight of 93kgs....... so you can imagine how much I gotta put up front then!

Some drifters have been modified with the Battery up the front now, so that gives you a bit extra also.

My Mum is around the 5' mark, and puts a cushion behind her, seems she can reach ok that way. Though she is even lighter than me...!

Hope that helps.

Bloody hell Dazz 55kg, I thought I was scrawny at 72kgs in the 80s when I flew Drifters. Hhmmm now 95.... I'm 88.... you win:roflmao:David

HI David, yes they nearly didnt let me into the RAAF, because i was underweight, 3 hot meals a day fixed that and Beer ;). The Drifter back then was the XP 503. I havent flown the newer ones, strut braced, 582,s etc. As Tomo, has mentioned.:thumb_up:

Guest ozzie

I'm just a tad over 60kg these days but as a lad i came in just under 50kg. with the underpowered minimum aircraft this was a real advantage, especially on a hot day. while the others were stuck on the ground i could still get a circuit in. But the pusher machines i was too light for. I could get a hang glider right to the top of the lift band and had softer landings under the old round parachutes and could easily stay above large freefall formations while the 'toads' went below them.

being light has good points except when buying cloths.

I may need some expert guidance...

I am a PPL, about 10 years ago I started a conversion to RAA in a tailwheel aircraft but didn't complete it (was issued with a student licence & did 3 hours). Since then I married, and my husband owns several tailwheel RAA aircraft in the 95-10 category, one 19 (Rans) and one 55 (the Lightwing in use by an Instructor). Do I need to do my conversion in a factory built, or could I do it in my husband's Rans?

Or would I be better off getting a tailwheel endorsement through a GA school and converting to RAA in any aircraft and getting my tailwheel recognised by RAA? If this is possible it may overcome some of the difficulty I am having getting something to fit me - guessing that some of the plastic fantastics have adjustable seats and are pretty compact.

In the end I will be flying our own aircraft which have been modified so I can reach. My husband wants me to be able to enjoy flying the aircraft I have helped to build or that he currently enjoys and it also helps with taking aircraft to fly-ins.

Sue

RAAus or GA?

A GA T/W conversion will cost more and there's not a lot out there on line. You already have 3 hours on a t/w towards your RAAus. cert which only needs demonstrated competency on a training RAAus plane and I hour solo. Do it in the drifter if you have access to it. You get the LP and TS covered at the same time and would get a lot of engine failure (everywhere) training. IF you go pretty well you might only do 2 hours of dual, plus the one hour solo. All your other stuff is credits from the PPL. Nev

I'm not knocking the drifter, they're a well proven A/C but I would consider doing a T/W indorsment on the likes of Light Wing etc. If you do it in a Drifter you'll probably get quite a shock when you jump into a Light Wing, Aeropup, Piper Cub or the likes. Having flown Drifter, Light Wing & Aero Pup the Drifter doesn't have the nose high attitude and characteristics of the others mentioned. Others might disagree

Drifter.

I totally agree with you kevin, that the drifter is not the typical T/W. However the person here has a difficulty reaching controls and has some experience already and access to t/w aircraft. It is a matter of getting the endorsement and finishing the RAAus from GA changover. As I see it. I did say she would get the T/W LP and TS as well. Nev

Getting back to you.

No probs. kevin. I was trying to get across the whole situation. IF the personal Lightwing is OK for training then that would be the go . I'm not sure if ALL aircraft owned by individuals are able to be used for training, with RAA. (Not dealing with the 24/19/55, thing but the ownership question). A phone call to RAA would settle it. Nev