Garmin G3X airport database

By all reports, there are some gaps in what is available in the Garmin Australia VFR databases. Truthfully, it doesn't worry me as I have a SkyView system, but in saying that, I wondered if I could narrow those gaps somewhat, given I have made a series of files available that list every Australian ALA and Certified airport for those of us running the Dynon SkyView system.

After a little r search and playing around with Excel today, I think I have manag d to produce similar files for the Garmin crowd, which I've somewhat cheekily uploaded over at the Dynon forums. Hopefully they won't mind too much. So if you have a Garmin G3X system,p and you would like a listing of the airports in Australia as sourced from the May 2018 DAH, nip over to my post at the Dynon forums, and follow the directions. Hopefully the files will work for you.

No promises made either way, good luck!

Why is it that Garmin, which spends a fortune on advertising, doesn't have an Australia friendly data base. I have tried to update the date base for my Garmin 196, but couldn't get any sense out of it, even when it was only a few months old.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know that your airport data files loaded instantly to the Garmin G3X as waypoints. Now available for flight planning.

Will be good if you can find time to expand the airfield data.

Thanks.

Just to let you know that your airport data files loaded instantly to the Garmin G3X as waypoints. Now available for flight planning.Will be good if you can find time to expand the airfield data.

Thanks.

Thanks John, I don't know anyone with a G3X so had to wait until one of the VAF guys tested them for me.

I have an email in to G3Xpert at the Vans Forums to see if there is anything else I can include in the XML file, for example hollow icons for uncertified airports or VOR/Tower icons for the aids, as Dynon allows. Unfortunately, the G3X manual is lacking somewhat in the ability to manually create user-waypoint databases.

Thanks John, I don't know anyone with a G3X so had to wait until one of the VAF guys tested them for me.I have an email in to G3Xpert at the Vans Forums to see if there is anything else I can include in the XML file, for example hollow icons for uncertified airports or VOR/Tower icons for the aids, as Dynon allows. Unfortunately, the G3X manual is lacking somewhat in the ability to manually create user-waypoint databases.

Just in the interim, could a kindly passing G3X owner try this file out to see what icons it displays? I am not sure if the Apt/NDB/VOR's are permanently saved to the G3X as User Waypoints are. As before, rename it from *.TXT to *.FPL and load the flightplan in your system as normal. There is no route data associated with the plan.

IT contains 3 x fictitious way-points, all located offshore of Sydney/Wollongong area, way-point G3XT1 should display as an Airport icon, G3XT2 should display as a VOR, and G3XT3 should display as an NDB.

The idea behind this is if these three waypoints do in fact display the respective icons, then I can include a G3X Navaid file for Garmin owners in the same manner as for Dynon owners, and also update the ALA/Certified airport files to show as airports instead of User Waypoints.

g3x_icontest.txt

g3x_icontest.txt

g3x_icontest.txt

Bugger...Well, it was worth a try. Thanks anyway John,until I hear back from the G3xpert's over on the VAF forums, looks like all an owner can add is an identifier, altitude and description. Better than nothing I suppose.

Here's the plotted location of the waypoints in the test file, for posterity!

28959104708_108902c7de_c.jpg

• 1 year later...

By all reports, there are some gaps in what is available in the Garmin Australia VFR databases. Truthfully, it doesn't worry me as I have a SkyView system, but in saying that, I wondered if I could narrow those gaps somewhat, given I have made a series of files available that list every Australian ALA and Certified airport for those of us running the Dynon SkyView system.

After a little r search and playing around with Excel today, I think I have manag d to produce similar files for the Garmin crowd, which I've somewhat cheekily uploaded over at the Dynon forums. Hopefully they won't mind too much. So if you have a Garmin G3X system,p and you would like a listing of the airports in Australia as sourced from the May 2018 DAH, nip over to my post at the Dynon forums, and follow the directions. Hopefully the files will work for you.

No promises made either way, good luck!

Hi, I've recently bought a FK9 with Garmin G3X system. I've bought the Garmin Oz database pack but miss the Country Airstrips supplement subscription that I had with Avplan. Do you still maintain your database? Is it available for others If so, what's the deal?

I followed the link to Dynon in the post above but it just led to a Dynon site.

Great initiative, Garmin stuff is OK, expensive as hell. I have to say in my first few months of ownership that Tony at garmin support has been really great....Peter

Hi, I've recently bought a FK9 with Garmin G3X system. I've bought the Garmin Oz database pack but miss the Country Airstrips supplement subscription that I had with Avplan. Do you still maintain your database? Is it available for others If so, what's the deal?

I followed the link to Dynon in the post above but it just led to a Dynon site.

Great initiative, Garmin stuff is OK, expensive as hell. I have to say in my first few months of ownership that Tony at garmin support has been really great....Peter

G'day Peter,

First question, no, I haven't updated it for a year or so. Second question, yes, it is still available. It was hosted on the Dynon forums, but they migrated their forum software away from their original platform and that broke everyones original external hyperlinks.

IF you go to this post you'll find the G3X ones. Copy the text files, then change the file extension from TXT to FPL and you should be able to upload them to your G3X as User Waypoints.

And because I'm a nice bloke - no matter what the KRviatrix says - here are the latest files updated for the May 2020 revision of the DAH. I have not done the Garmin Certified ones, as they sound like they're now available.

OF note, there is a new section in the DAH for "ALA's not in ERSA, but with verified info". Those ALA's are not contained in these databases yet. To do that, I'd have to do a bit more work in Excel than I have time for this morning - I need to install a new alternator and regulator in the RV-9 before the AP inspection next weekend and that takes precedence! I'll try to get around to incorporating those ALA's into the database this evening if I remember.

To use the files:

Dynon owners open the Dynon files in a text editor, then re-save them as *.CSV files, copy them to a USB stick, and insert it into your display. You can then press buttons 7+8 and select "Load Files". That should copy them toyour display as User Waypoints. A Certified airport has an "Airport Filled" icon, an ALA has an "Airport Unfilled" icon. I have not tested these files with my own system to confirm they work yet. If you use them and you get lost, it's your own fault. You shouldn't be relying on a dataset some random anonymous bloke created anyway.

Garmin Owners, Open the Garmin file in a text editor, then re-save it as a *.FPL file, copy the files to an SD card, and open them using whatever means the G3X has to import user waypoints. The G3X uses an XML format and I don't know anyone that has a G3X to test it works, but they appear to be in the same format as online references, if they don't work, please let me know and I'll see if I can find what is broken.

Edited by Admin