Warwick Crash

Wing tanks have another advantage. If you don't have the fuel tanks somewhere near the planes centre of gravity, then you will get a lot of C of G change as the fuel load varies. Wing tanks can be located near the fore and aft CofG, more easily than a (single) fuselage tank, but you can get ASSYMETRIC fuel disposition, ie one wing heavier than the other, which requires management in its own right. Nev

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Swanny, Thanks for your imput and thoughts from the family. Good to hear our friend seems to be managing at this point. Please convey our best wishes to the family members if you haven't already done so, they are not alone in the trying time.

Please keep us posted on progress, he's one of us after all...........................................................Maj...

Guest Swanny

Thanks Maj Millard

I have already passed on the best wishes from the members of the forum. They appreciate everyones concerns.

AV8A has suggested to pass the hat around I would love to assist in this way but would need a second member on the account how about it av8a

Our friend has had several long opps for skin grafting. Pray that he will be free from infections.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Swanny

Update on our friend from Warwick Crash

There is great news as he is now of the ventorlator for 4 hrs at a time and he is responding to speach as they gradualy bring him out of the coma.

There is infection in some grafts, pray they get on top of this.

Many thanks from the family . They appreaciate your concerns.

Hi Swanny and all others on this forum, I know that some of us have shown our concern and are praying for a good outcome but our friend would not have seen our concerns as I believe he is not a contributor to this site,

so I was wondering if someone (perhaps you Swanny) could start a new thread where we could all individually send him an encouraging message on this forum which we could print out after a few days or possibly a week

and then the printed copy could be sent or taken to him.

What do you all think of the idea?

Alan.

It would be good if we knew his first name so we could make it more personal.

Very pleased to hear the news of his initial recovery as he seems to have beaten the odds by living past the normal critical time with such bad burns.

His and his families road is still very long. I personally wish them all the best for their future

Guest Swanny

When the family went to the hospital yesterday, the Doctors explained that he required

surgery to remove a large part of his bowel due to restriction in blood flow. He is in

critical condition at the moment. His wife really appreciates the prayers and thoughts.

Guest Maj Millard

Well Swanny, that's not the type of news we are all hoping for, but thanks anyway for the update. We are all still pulling for him, and still wish him all the best.......................................................................................................Maj...

Guest Swanny

I would like to thank all that are following our friends recovery. I believe that this has helped as he has improved and they were able to reconnect the bowel instead of having a colostomy. They have once again commenced taking him off the ventilator for a short time each day.

Not out of the woods yet but he's a fighter.

Thanks aviators

I was in Taree discussing the options for my Sierra 100 with Garry last Friday when he received a call around lunch time from the pilot regarding the maiden flight. He commented to me after the call that he was concerned about the pilots knowledge/experience/attitude and felt he should have had someone with test flight experience conduct the first flight. I spoke to Garry yesterday and he believes that after takeoff the pilot stalled the aircraft. The facts should be revealed in the full accident report.

Apparently the pilot had just been built the aircraft and wanted to fly it before going overseas the next day. He took it to Warwick for its maiden flight. He spent only 30 mins putting on the wings and commencing taxiing. He had trouble taxiing the aircraft and at one stage shut down the engine, got out and turned the aircraft in the direction he wished to travel, got back in and proceeded to takeoff.

He was under the impression that he should reach a speed of 90 kts before lifting off.

The videao shows the aircraft going down the runway with the right wing wanting to lift off before the left. The pilot held the aircraft on the ground and when it did lift off it banked sharply to the left. The video shows the ailerons to be in the full right stick position but they did not stop the aircraft from banking. The rudder appeared in the central position.

The aircraft did a very quick 90 degree turn to port before the left wing hit the ground.

The old addage of not test flying an aircraft that you have built apparently was ignored.

Guest Swanny

Just an update

Our friend is gaining strength and the medical staff are gradually bring him out of the coma.

Things are still day by day and still praying for a good outcome. He has a long road adhead and the family appreaciates the support.

• 1 month later...
Guest Swanny

:wave:Hi all promised to keep you updated on our friend.

latest reports are he's back with us Skin graphs are taking well even though he has had some infections,unable to speek due to ventilator tubes but is responding with nods and shaking of head. Still has a long way to go but very encouraging.

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks for that Swanny. It's good to hear some positive news on our friend..................we all still wish him the best with his recovery of course............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest woxman1

Being new to this...where would be the most appropriate place for a discussion on first flight safety?

Woxman1,

Your original post has been moved to a separate thread in the accidents and incidents section as it is very deserving of it's own space. Unfortunately your good wishes for the pilot's recovery has been lost in the move.

Regards,

Guest Swanny

Hi All

Not being family I had the privilage to visit at ICU with his wife this week and she and her family are very thankful for your support and indicated that family members are following this site and do appreciate the fact that we have keeped it to well wishes. For that I thank you all.

He has amazed the doctors whith his recovery to this point and unfortunitely he has had a set back in the last few days. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Please keep the family in your thoughts when you discuss this matter .100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Swanny

Hi All

11 Mar 2011 is a long way back but some good news our friend is finally out of intensive care please continue to keep him and his family in your thoughts.

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Swanny for the positive news................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif:thumb_up: