HD camera recomendation

furio

I have been thinking for some time about buying a small HD camera that I can mount on my aircraft (inside or out) to take video whilst flying. I want to be able to take stills and video. It needs to be simple and easy to operate.

Can anyone recommend a suitable camera? What cameras are other people using?

Cheers Furio

• Like 1

Go onto the Bay and look for this item number. Item number: 280862769824

They are cheap and work really really well.. If you look up the model number on Y-Tube you will see reviews and sample of them being used... Great results for little money.

Mardy:ecstatic:

Go Pro 2. easy to use and plenty of mount options. reasonable price

Highly recommend the GoPro Hero 2.

Youtube has alot of videos on there with this camera. Jeb Corliss uses it all the time in his base jumps.

We are currently making an external mount to go on the wing strut of the Jab.

-Linda

The two main competitors are the GoPro and the DriftHD. GoPro has better video quality, but the Drift has better features like a remote control and a rotatable lens. The Drift is also a bit cheaper. Also, the GoPro handles changing light levels better than the Drift, but apparently Drift are updating their firmware which can be uploaded to the camera. I'm not sure if the GoPro's firmware can be updated.

Edit: I just checked and the GoPro firmware is updateable too.

Hero 2 has wireless coming soon, available now in the US but waiting approval for use here in Oz. If updates needed for use with add on accessories like the lcd screen, 3D or wireless you download the update to SD card then insert card to camera to update firmware.

Guest Howard Hughes
Jeb Corliss uses it all the time in his base jumps.We are currently making an external mount to go on the wing strut of the Jab.

-Linda

Jab Corliss?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Nflightcam + is the one I have and I am super impressed with it. You can set it up for different frame rates and quality of course. I have the switch setup for 1080 and 720 so can pic either. I have a few videos I have done with it so far it also basically removes the prop has GPS built in and you can see your track in realtime with the video it also has external dc use and full aircraft headset audio or external mic if you wish. It also has bluetooth to your iphone so you can setup what you see and also the lens rotates 270 deg so you can mount it anyway you like

Here is my first attempts at aerial photography from our Savvy, taking from the undercarriage leg mount. Have had a lot of success from kitesurfing shots and videos and can't recommend it enough, especially now that GoPro has the Wifi option and you can choose from a huge range of mounts. The quality from a novice is Great.

Wow, thanks for that everyone. Looks like there are many choices and I have some great recommendations to follow up.

Just another question - do you need special software to edit the video and if so does this come with the camera or do I have to buy this separately.

Thanks all.

Furio

Guest Andys@coffs

Kyle

Minor point.....I enjoyed your video that were uploaded....however at the end you called clear of the runway but the markings on the taxiway identifying the holding point to the runway were still well infront of the aircraft meaning that technically you werent clear.......I got picked up on this myself, shouldnt call clear until those lines are behind you.

Andy

Hi Andy

yes you are correct on that..there are glider ops at Ycab they often sit inside the markers on either side of the runways as the runways here are very wide. Its a bad habit I have gotten into at Ycab when you are well offline of the runway most call clear . When you land on 12 at Ycab you travel up the far right hand side of the runway until you get to where the taxiway cross over on 06 is then you can be clear of all runways I will remember that and modify my practice