Registering a helicopter as GA Experimental

Heath4320

I've been searching everywhere on various forums as well as the maze that they call the CASA website to try and find the ruling on home built 2-seat helicopter registration, and the consequent implications so far as it's maintenance and use.

I'm familiar with the RAAus regulations with regard to their experimental category (95-10 I think it's called) as well as their category which my J160, 2-place, 51%-built falls into. Consequently, I have ruled out RAAus registration entirely because of the fact that they exclude powered rotorcraft, except gyro-copters. (Please someone tell me I'm wrong!?)

I know very little about the GA Experimental category, because when I built the Jabiru, I wanted to steer clear of the maintenance costs of GA. Now I'm looking to build a Rotorway Exec162f or a Talon A600 (for anybody who is familiar), I'm asking:

Is there a list of manufacturers and their models that have already been approved?

Is there a simple list of requirements similar to that of the RAAus, that will deem an aircraft suitable for GA Experimental registration?

Can I, as the builder maintain the helicopter, and will it require the full GA treatment (annuals etc)? (I've gathered from other forums that the next owner will have to have a LAME see to this..?)

And so many more questions, but these would certainly get me started!

• Like 1

I looked into this a while ago.

If you build a chopper, yes, you can maintain it. In fact, if you sell it later, according to the CASA Rotor section bloke who (eventually) called me back for a discussion, apparently YOU can still maintain it for the person you sold it to. They can't.

I looked at the A600 Talon. Even went to the Sunshine Coast and sat in one to see if I fitted. I quite liked it, through I haven't been taken up in one.

I walked away from the idea when I worked out how much the license would cost. It is now on the "will do eventually" list.

Let us know how you go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The overall answer is long winded and I can fill you in on it all if you want more info.

Basically yep you can build one ( any design any size and any engine type or number)

You can have it registered as vh rego and you can do your own maintenance.

Some requirements/ conditions apply to the above but basically it applies.

All sorts of pros and cons to going down that path. All sorts of variabilities that may modify your plans - not suggesting would cancel but might change the approach you take.

Pm me and I give you let's more detail

John Martin

Chapter 34 SAAA president

SAAA Tech counsellor

Owner builder jabiru 430

PPL (aeroplane ) & PPL (helicopter)

[email protected]

The answer is a guarded "no". The changes on 4th dec as i understand them apply to pilot licences (part 61) and operations of training establishments (part 140- something ). But who knows what may or may not be affected because casa has released the principles of the changes that will happen but some of (much of) the details won't actually be written yet when it comes into force. A bizarre situation that wouldn't be allowed to happen any other field of industry.

The stuff we are referring to is the building and registration of experimental aircraft etc which as far as we are aware will not be changed by the Dec 4. although there is always potential for unexpected collateral damage.

I've been searching everywhere on various forums as well as the maze that they call the CASA website to try and find the ruling on home built 2-seat helicopter registration, and the consequent implications so far as it's maintenance and use.I'm familiar with the RAAus regulations with regard to their experimental category (95-10 I think it's called) as well as their category which my J160, 2-place, 51%-built falls into. Consequently, I have ruled out RAAus registration entirely because of the fact that they exclude powered rotorcraft, except gyro-copters. (Please someone tell me I'm wrong!?)

Some years ago I enquired about (AUF) rego for light helicopters, this was were in the time of Rod Hewitt-Cook. I was told that although it was currently not available, he said that if someone wanted to run with the idea it could happen. I imagine though, with the current issues, one could be waiting a long time before any real result.