Outback Mustang

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hunting friend of mine stunned me recently when he showed me this photo. It was taken on a hunting expedition in South Australia, probably in the 1970s. This aircraft looks to be in such excellent condition. I have researched Aussie Mustangs as well as I have been able to but I haven't found anything to match this one.Under high magnification the name STARDUST can be seen on the cowling and the number 072 just before that word. The number 4706072 is on the rear fuselage just before the 'A'.

Does anyone know anything about this aircraft? I thought I had a record of every Mustang which had been flown as a civilian aircraft in this country but this one is a completely new one on me. I cannot sleep for fretting about this. Please help!

The picture was taken on my family farm in burra but when my grandfather could not maintain it anymore he put it in the greenock aviation museum

Nice photos, Cosmick. I think it was Matt Denning who restored two of these Boomerangs including XBL. I saw it take to the air on it's first flight.

Nice photos, Cosmick. I think it was Matt Denning who restored two of these Boomerangs including XBL. I saw it take to the air on it's first flight.

Found a few more pics and edited video of the day she went to Temora.

Compiled on youtube for ease -

Hi how are you the mustang you are referring to in burra is my grandfathers he made it at home and took him 4 years it was that exact to scale an original canopy was purchased and it fit and closed perfectly it is now located in greenock the numbers you referred to was his army numbers and he named it stardust it runs also powered by a Datsun engine but of course it cannot fly

Hi how are you the mustang you are referring to in burra is my grandfathers he made it at home and took him 4 years it was that exact to scale an original canopy was purchased and it fit and closed perfectly it is now located in greenock the numbers you referred to was his army numbers and he named it stardust it runs also powered by a Datsun engine but of course it cannot flyRegards Ryan ps I have plenty of pics of it during the build process

Regards Ryan ps I have plenty of pics of it during the build process

Hi Ryan. You are a true champion! The mystery is solved at last! I'm sure everyone here will have greatly appreciated you making this post. I have found it hard to get this 'aircraft' out of my head in the three years or so since I first asked about it but now I can rest easy with most of my questions about it now answered. I will give a copy of your post to my hunter friend (he doesn't have the internet) and he will be very interested, especially the location as he had no recollection of where he had taken the photograph so long ago.

Now, of course, I am going to ask you if you can post some of the photos of it being built. All of us will be looking forward to seeing them.

One thing is for sure.......your grandfather's work was remarkably accurate, so accurate that neither I or any of my flying friends suspected that it was anything other than a genuine Mustang from the side on shot that my hunter friend took of it. What a remarkable effort over so many years! And what a great mystery it has been for us to solve. Thanks again Ryan. You have really made my day. Richard

• Agree 1

Hi Ryan. You are a true champion! The mystery is solved at last! I'm sure everyone here will have greatly appreciated you making this post. I have found it hard to get this 'aircraft' out of my head in the three years or so since I first asked about it but now I can rest easy with most of my questions about it now answered. I will give a copy of your post to my hunter friend (he doesn't have the internet) and he will be very interested, especially the location as he had no recollection of where he had taken the photograph so long ago.Now, of course, I am going to ask you if you can post some of the photos of it being built. All of us will be looking forward to seeing them.

One thing is for sure.......your grandfather's work was remarkably accurate, so accurate that neither I or any of my flying friends suspected that it was anything other than a genuine Mustang from the side on shot that my hunter friend took of it. What a remarkable effort over so many years! And what a great mystery it has been for us to solve. Thanks again Ryan. You have really made my day. Richard

Thankyou for the reply Richard it actually makes me feel really good knowing there is people out there who appreciate this like I do, I have very fond memories of the mustang going together and sitting in the cockpit, everything also works like the rudder and flaps and controls in the cockpit. it has had 3 or 4 different color schemes over the years, the very first being stardust. It is now painted in a different colour scheme but I will post a few pics for you all to have a look at if someone could please tell me how too :)

Kind Regards Ryan

• Like 1

Thankyou for the reply Richard it actually makes me feel really good knowing there is people out there who appreciate this like I do, I have very fond memories of the mustang going together and sitting in the cockpit, everything also works like the rudder and flaps and controls in the cockpit. it has had 3 or 4 different color schemes over the years, the very first being stardust. It is now painted in a different colour scheme but I will post a few pics for you all to have a look at if someone could please tell me how too :)Kind Regards Ryan

I also have the original plans he used to make the massive working model and the plans themselves were on a A4 piece of paper

Not sure if you use an iPad or desktop but with the iPad right next to the post button is the upload a file button, click on it and then follow your nose:what the:

Hope that helps

I also have the original plans he used to make the massive working model and the plans themselves were on a A4 piece of paper

Hi Ryan. You are a true champion! The mystery is solved at last! I'm sure everyone here will have greatly appreciated you making this post. I have found it hard to get this 'aircraft' out of my head in the three years or so since I first asked about it but now I can rest easy with most of my questions about it now answered. I will give a copy of your post to my hunter friend (he doesn't have the internet) and he will be very interested, especially the location as he had no recollection of where he had taken the photograph so long ago.Now, of course, I am going to ask you if you can post some of the photos of it being built. All of us will be looking forward to seeing them.

hope these pictures came through

IMG_1397.JPG.9d611d50c9d08052c6f4e2d3317b7d41.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG.8ef181a9270143b667184add7d4c0b10.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG.f915faaa59be09bb4564e63819a16ff7.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG.f7647f605ad92f9338f50e75b3624bac.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG.0f6ec66e66645f0a4a982ef65d9d0de1.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG.7ac2e6da8e4543a764362ea5cb004483.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG.282a2edf392df5c3f7ea1a3c0c1fc749.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG.1192c240575f69794ba882686e269043.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG.78ef940a15a533fcfe6d1916db1a8640.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG.6917821b4655b7eddd3c7687856bf353.JPG

• Like 3

:) all done hope this answers most peoples questions if you have any others please let me know

Kind Regards Ryan ps sorry the pics are upside down in some cases they were they right way round on my computer :)

Not sure if you use an iPad or desktop but with the iPad right next to the post button is the upload a file button, click on it and then follow your nose:what the:

Hope that helps

Thankyou muchly :)

• Like 1

I think halfway through the upload a file process there is an option to display photo full size or display all photos full size, I haven't done it for a while so can't remember exactly.

thankyou once again

Fabulous photos! Thank you so much Ryan for posting them so quickly for us. We can turn them around the right way up when necessary so that is no problem and they come up large enough on our computers. How to get them to come up larger on the forum I'm not really sure....but for me what you have posted is just excellent. The newspaper articles are particularly interesting. I'm assuming that is your grandfather sitting in it?

Hi Rzaff,

I took the liberty of enhancing a couple of your images, just adjusting the brightness and contrast. Some have been rotated to normal view. To view a large version, simply click on the file name, or to see them in lightbox, click on the thumbnail.

IMG_1397.JPG.7d1a0a95eea332af6c600135c9abc9a4.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG.e9dd969161dff2edc12473119987451a.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG.d26a97bec84c887378097e418cbbfa0d.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG.edec5527a6dfa03bc9e84c578abea2a8.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG.f7cc7e4324aadd1a515985f26faa934f.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG.82affe9385ef28710ae4c039c046b6b8.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG.0040e0cb87e55607062baed8b1b8a742.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG.a8d1882382d55e24548810e6502df531.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG.9afc8140fc6e573602f0c52a220c59b1.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG.a763aa7d150d13a8030ff107c6c9bc52.JPG

Fabulous photos! Thank you so much Ryan for posting them so quickly for us. We can turn them around the right way up when necessary so that is no problem and they come up large enough on our computers. How to get them to come up larger on the forum I'm not really sure....but for me what you have posted is just excellent. The newspaper articles are particularly interesting. I'm assuming that is your grandfather sitting in it?

Hello again yes that is my grandfather and thanks red for fixing the pictures up for me :)