ATSB releases final report into chopper crash which killed ABC crew at Lake Eyre

I imagine would have had overwhelming number of hours night flying metro and regional areas.

Moonless night? City flying vs flying out the back of Bourke, no light glow off the horizon.

I can remember a camping trip where it was hard enough walking without veering off course, can't even see your hand waving in front of face.

Helicopters and night flying don't go well together in my mind. I lost a friend to this years ago and he was an excellent pilot. the rescue helicopter that crashed on it's way to Hamilton island was another example. It only take some little distraction and bingo, although the pilots in all 3 cases were very well qualified.

I am test flying my plane and it is too much work for me to try and re-program my new GPS. If it isn't programmed I go by eyesighr, which was impossible for them.

That's a bit like blaming the car radio for killing the people you ran over while fiddling with it.

Do civvie rescue pilots use NVG's? Not that they're a whole lot of good when it's pitch black.