MTOW down to 450kg - why?

louise skidmore

Well let us hope this gets sorted as I now I am currently 544kg but after March 28 I am back to 450kg or no renewal, well out I go to stick on a 450kg placard and while I am at it I may as well take some more photos of under wing , tail ect as I am sure even though they have them from last year I will be asked for something.Oh dear what a difference a few kilos makes.

Alf

Great news!

Just spoken with RAA-Aus and confirmed that all the Tecnams recently and cruelly downgraded from 544kg to 450kg may now be upraded to 600kg, providing each aircraft owner verifies that they have an updated flight manual, maintenance manual, manoeuvring speed placard and airspeed indicator instrument(? not sure why we need a new instrument). RAA-Aus is apparently writing to all Tecnam owners outlining the process to upgrade.

I thank Bruce Stark, Tecnam Australia, for his work to achieve parity with NZ Tecnams along with Mick Poole the CASA tech officer.

A much relieved,

Louise

• Like 6
  • Winner 1

Great news!Just spoken with RAA-Aus and confirmed that all the Tecnams recently and cruelly downgraded from 544kg to 450kg may now be upraded to 600kg, providing each aircraft owner verifies that they have an updated flight manual, maintenance manual, manoeuvring speed placard and airspeed indicator instrument(? not sure why we need a new instrument). RAA-Aus is apparently writing to all Tecnam owners outlining the process to upgrade.

I thank Bruce Stark, Tecnam Australia, for his work to achieve parity with NZ Tecnams along with Mick Poole the CASA tech officer.

A much relieved,

Louise

Louise,

Still only saying NZ aircraft on the RAA website, haven't seen anything on the Australian aircraft yet.

600 would be great, fantastic actually.

Alf

Great news!Just spoken with RAA-Aus and confirmed that all the Tecnams recently and cruelly downgraded from 544kg to 450kg may now be upraded to 600kg, providing each aircraft owner verifies that they have an updated flight manual, maintenance manual, manoeuvring speed placard and airspeed indicator instrument(? not sure why we need a new instrument). RAA-Aus is apparently writing to all Tecnam owners outlining the process to upgrade.

A much relieved,

Louise

That is good news Louise. Thanks to Bruce for getting involved to sort this out and let common sense prevail even with CASA involved. (amazing)

RAA need to give themselves a good swift uppercut for demanding a photograph of "the MTOW placard amended to 450kg as per type certificate " before renewal would be processed. Why pick a type certificate with a MTOW of 450kg which makes the aircraft ineligible for registration with RAA as it does not comply with their own technical manual as pointed out by thommo in post #9 as well as CAO 95.55 re minimum payload requirements. There are numerous type certificates from ICAO member nations operating these aircraft at 550 and 600kg. Imagine the flow on effect to RAA income if this annual registration circus had progressed further with all Tecnams going to VH rego and the owners then not having to renew their RAA membership. And they were worried about the RPL !

I will personally thank Bruce when I catch up with him at the next Straddie Breakfast. He is a good man to deal with and really looks after his customers and all Tecnam owners.

Mick

Bruce .................... waiting for you to take centre stage for some info when it's sorted - assuming there is lots of activity in the wings !

• 2 months later...

Upgrade to 600KG now,

Easy process other than getting the ASI out of the panel as it had locknuts on the screws behind the panel and not much room to get a spanner too, (2 person job in the end and a lot easier once you take the air vent panel off the side of the fuselage to access in behind the panel)

Ordered instrument nuts as that makes it easy to re-install the ASI, got them from Superior Air Parts in Qld (if you are wanting to order them 6/32 instrument nuts and make sure the tang is about 10mm long to be able to reach inside the recess on the ASI holes)

New placards made up, instrument sent off to John Kennedy at Stawell Aviation Services (Vic Tecnam Service centre) and a quick turn around, Updated manuals printed off and front pages sent off to RAA with photo's of the panel, ASI & new placards.

Not a painful process in the end and well worth doing it as my insurance would be void if I had the unfortunate chance of being involved in a claim and being overweight at the time.

Alf