Show us your lightwing

Doug Evans

G'day Doug, I do most of my flying locally in the Roma,Injune area sw Qld. My strip and hanger are on one of our cattle properties and I fly the fence lines,bores.ect. I'ts great to see all the light wings on this site and hope to meet you all in person one day. Regards Clayt.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

U going to old station this year we be there may catch up then cheers

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clayt - just saw your location and noticed that you fly a REAL plane! Would love to have a lightwing flyer in the Roma aero club if you are at all interested. Feel free to drop me a line for info!

Cheers,

Seb

• Like 1

Clayt - just saw your location and noticed that you fly a REAL plane! Would love to have a lightwing flyer in the Roma aero club if you are at all interested. Feel free to drop me a line for info!Cheers,

Seb

G'day Seb, I've been very slack as far as the aero club is concerned. I was a member when learning to fly with Bill,but have had my hands full for awhile.Meetings are one Sunday a month aren't they?. Regards Clayt.

• Like 1

Yep, but am trying to crank things up a little, especially outside of just meeting weekends.

Would love to see the LW some time also if you feel like flying in, so give me a yell. We a always in and out of the club these days!

• Like 1

If there was a choice, would you own an Aeropower or Rotax engined GA55 / GR582 lightwing?

Thoughts from those who have flown or maintained this type much appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

Well I have owned 2 gr 582 think they are great have flown mine from top of qld down south as far as lismore the second plane has auto lube system Witch I swear by ,make flying much easer then worrying about mixing oil mine climbs @ around 1000 ft and cruise @ 70kn with a fuel burn @ 18 lph

But I have a friend who has a ga 55 with a 100 hp rotax it flys great cruise @ 85 and burns about the same as my two stroke

Enother friend major Millard has a gr 912 he gose everywhere in his so I shore he tell ya about his when he reads this tread

But for my point of view I love the little two strokes But I think it come down to what u wish to do with ya craft mine dose a lot of local flights in and out off short strips and then may be once or twice a year I do a long distance trip witch is a little slower then the four bangers but still as much a adventure to do with both ..

• Caution 1

Well I have owned 2 gr 582 think they are great have flown mine from top of qld down south as far as lismore the second plane has auto lube system Witch I swear by ,make flying much easer then worrying about mixing oil mine climbs @ around 1000 ft and cruise @ 70kn with a fuel burn @ 18 lphBut I have a friend who has a ga 55 with a 100 hp rotax it flys great cruise @ 85 and burns about the same as my two stroke

Enother friend major Millard has a gr 912 he gose everywhere in his so I shore he tell ya about his when he reads this tread

But for my point of view I love the little two strokes But I think it come down to what u wish to do with ya craft mine dose a lot of local flights in and out off short strips and then may be once or twice a year I do a long distance trip witch is a little slower then the four bangers but still as much a adventure to do with both ..

Thanks Doug, Pls confirm the GA55 has a shorter wing than the GR series along with a single strut and only a 450Kg MTOW. I did not know that there were any GA55 with 912 engine?? This would mean a payload of around 150kg or less.

Cheers

Thanks Doug, Pls confirm the GA55 has a shorter wing than the GR series along with a single strut and only a 450Kg MTOW. I did not know that there were any GA55 with 912 engine?? This would mean a payload of around 150kg or less.Cheers

Yes warren butler has a ga with a 912 but it started life with an aero power & yes it has a shorter wing with flaps & single strut & 450 kg .....image.jpg.463d3eb566c0222147c02d5e88dc7cbb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still reckon we gotta organise a gathering of light wings Doug! Still be nice to find number 3. .? I have seen pics of number 5 after me ( another one with turtle deck change!)

I feel left out with what appears to be the only flying box back? Come on guys any other original configurations left!

For those whom are not sure what I'm on about? The original light wings had a box shape fuse that was later converted to what now is the recognised shape. I have number 4 which was never changed? And also when rebuilt they went with the original paint scheme! Speaking with Howard he says I should never change the paint or shape as to his knowlage it's the only flying lightwing in original configuration with exception to the engine! But I believe number 3 may still be a boxy? Number 3 where are you? Last was in nsw some where? had yellow stripes and was box shape in the only pic I have seen of her - not sure reg?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

We should put what we have in order!

Here's a start. In order of certification - numbers.00 1., 2., 4. ...........

Please add ( and a nicer pic of David see 002!)

image.jpg.f9287809975b4194b374a715bc9650ca.jpg

image.jpg.cfa782a78c6840c7b379254e5b6f1e4a.jpg

image.jpg.c8f64b49c7e0762ffb306e28396b85d3.jpg

• Like 3

Still reckon we gotta organise a gathering of light wings Doug! Still be nice to find number 3. .? I have seen pics of number 5 after me ( another one with turtle deck change!)I feel left out with what appears to be the only flying box back? Come on guys any other original configurations left!

For those whom are not sure what I'm on about? The original light wings had a box shape fuse that was later converted to what now is the recognised shape. I have number 4 which was never changed? And also when rebuilt they went with the original paint scheme! Speaking with Howard he says I should never change the paint or shape as to his knowlage it's the only flying lightwing in original configuration with exception to the engine! But I believe number 3 may still be a boxy? Number 3 where are you? Last was in nsw some where? had yellow stripes and was box shape in the only pic I have seen of her - not sure reg?

Hi flyerme I just found from the ALW website that my aircraft was number 4 I for some reason thought it was number 6 glad to see she is still flying maybe the website can help you find number 3

Regards Gary

• Like 1

Hi flyerme I just found from the ALW website that my aircraft was number 4 I for some reason thought it was number 6 glad to see she is still flying maybe the website can help you find number 3Regards Gary

We're You see that? I Can't seem to find it? Just 1 and 2

You say number 4? lol dose that mean you owned my one at some stage?

Mine is serial 004 the forth factory built certified lightwing LW-1! Confirmed by Howie and his engineer after my prop dramas..

And of coarse as per RAA rego .

• Like 1
  • More 1

We're You see that? I Can't seem to find it? Just 1 and 2You say number 4? lol dose that mean you owned my one at some stage?

Mine is serial 004 the forth factory built certified lightwing LW-1! Confirmed by Howie and his engineer after my prop dramas..

And of coarse as per RAA rego .

Yes It is rego 250080 I purchased it from Ross Fidock from Dubbo who purchased it from the first owner in a place called Penong SA .its on the website under aircraft database.I will try and find some more picsand post them.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard

Very old photo of The late Bill Starke refuelling his first Lightwing......at Manton drop zone prior to him buying and establishing what is now Starke Field ( formally Ace base) west of Townsville Qld. I would suggest that this aircraft would probabily have been in the first 10 produced and prob had a 532 installed. Bill was the NQ Lightwing dealer for many years, loved the aircraft and was the person who turned me onto them.....Bill also owned NQs largest radiator outlet and he manufactured many of the early radiators fitted to Lightwings for Howie............Maj....

image.jpg.de20845b6d98b9e5ddbc56df7d406195.jpg

Very old photo of The late Bill Starke refuelling his first Lightwing......at Manton drop zone prior to him buying and establishing what is now Starke Field ( formally Ace base) west of Townsville Qld.[ATTACH=full]30992[/ATTACH]

Sweet a boxy!!

• Like 1

472741037_Scanlightwing250080no2.jpg.38bf21d0f5c5885bb3523a0a55f7f911.jpg

Awesome I purchased it from killkoy from archerfalls Ron. He rebuilt it in 09 I think?

heres another pic from memory in the early days 1 lightwing went to malaysia for training and border observation but their maintanence of the 532/582 rotax fell well short of what was needed ie poor fuel and the fact you needed oil in it.Here is another pic of 250080

• Like 4

[ATTACH=full]30993[/ATTACH]heres another pic from memory in the early days 1 lightwing went to malaysia for training and border observation but their maintanence of the 532/582 rotax fell well short of what was needed ie poor fuel and the fact you needed oil in it.Here is another pic of 250080

That's awesome!! Thanks heaps ozbear!

Number 3 where are you?

OK, finally found a decent photo;

25-0033.jpg.1d7ebfa5c4f45435e3f3fb53fe5a88b6.jpg

A group of us in Sydney bought -33 (as we called it) from Wagga, it was still powered by a 532 and fairly 'stock'.

I flew it back to the Oaks with a stop at Goulburn, and was surprised by how fast it was, I then noticed the ASI was in MPH...

33 flew for the rest of that summer, but during winter, we needed to build a shelter for it and then decided to do some work on it, instrument upgrades etc.

About that time, I was moving up to Taree and swapped my share for an aircraft trailer.

I think it still flies now and then?

The other number we were looking for was the follow on from 25-0080, which would be 20-0081;

-81a.jpg.5168b56f30c7bea1bd4fb4b1365aa773.jpg

This is 'Ol -81',

circa 1987 at the Oaks.

This is the ultralight I got my certificate in and then instructed in for nearly 20 years.

This machine has had a great history, had nearly 4000 hours on it when I left Sydney, has been rebuilt at least four times (twice by me), and I've lost track of how many engines have been through it.

'81 started life as a square back LW-1 with a pull start 532, no doors and sling seats;

25-0081.jpg.c846a87c14a8626385d94e9f4244b476.jpg

After one of the total rebuilds, I added a new colour scheme, which caused much discussion within the club.

After the last rebuild, it was painted all-over yellow again before being sold and replaced by a Foxbat;

late81.jpg.0e37abcf162d2403ecab753cbb4b1c5c.jpg

81 now resides somewhere near Bathurst.

Another Lightwing history, but a bit sadder.

After moving to Taree, I started instructing again using a local Gazelle, but I always wanted to get a Lightwing.

After chasing up a couple of really neglected examples I eventually bought Lee Ungerman's from Cowra;

Leeme437.jpg.1704e7a84cac2a4df396183a17c2e906.jpg

Unfortunately, within three months, fate dealt a bad hand and -437 was damaged while training;

437crash.jpg.1b35609cde4fc9600302f8d7dba5cbd0.jpg

This was bad timing as I had just taken on restoration work on another aircraft (a Petrel) and it was to take me nearly twelve months before I realised it was going to be a waste of time, (this was just as the CASA/RAAs fiasco exploded).

rebuild.jpg.e6f5a9a082982ecb34f7b1051e7be07f.jpg

I then went back to my Lightwing and proceeded to rebuild it, only to find that, just as I had finished all the structural work, CASA/RAAs had moved the goal posts again and there was some doubt as to what MTOW I was going to be allowed, and I started wondering if it was worth finishing the repairs as a 'Lightwing', or as a modified 19 'Superwing'?

It would be nice to have it back for training use as taildraggers are becoming increasingly rare, and I had gotten one of those 'update' pilot notes from Howie saying I could fly my GR912 at 600kg, but if it has to go back to 450kg or even 480kg to be legal, one has to wonder if it's worth doing..?

Sob story over, lets see more Lightwings.......

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

Great too see some of these old girl coming out of the hangars and track there history . Major what number is vince machine ?

And do u know what machine Werner Grimm from aterton flew ?

Guest Maj Millard
Great too see some of these old girl coming out of the hangars and track there history . Major what number is vince machine ?And do u know what machine Werner Grimm from aterton flew ?

Doug, Can't answer either of those questions ATM but I will find out................Maj....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, is that green Lightwing on floats registered 25-428? I purchased a new lightwing back in 1991 to start our flight school here in S.A. with the same rego and it had identical colour scheme.

ran it for around 800 hours and sold it to one of our students. He later traded it in for a new Lightwing 912.