Soft lifters

deadstick

Hi I was wondering if some one else has suffered from soft lifters in their jab? My 2200 has an intermittent one per rev ticking noise that comes and goes until the oil temp is over 50 degrees c. Any ways I pulled all rocker covers off as I suspected it sounded like valve train and here's what I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3m6cFg0vm0

Hi Nev,

It has two lifters that are soft, and have an order in to replace them. Was just curious as to other peoples experiences, I have heard this same noise on quite a few jabiru's previously. The two lifters in question have zero preload like they have collapsed internally.

They may have air in them. They rely on a solid hydraulic lock being maintained. They should pump up quickly with a proper oil supply. There could be some foreign matter preventing them sealing, or perhaps something has failed internally. in the lifter. Nev

image.jpg.4098aae2f3409af53f70ce91dcd4ab8f.jpg I've had to bleed a couple of lifters to get them pumped .

you can make a tool that is just apiece of ally with holes that line up with the rocker cover screws . and a thread that you can screw down in the rocker ,

wind down til it goes hard ( expelled air ) & leave it done up for a few mins .

some times i had to do it twice .

now I've got hard & hydrolic .

cheers mike

• Informative 1

CAMit have a kit to convert hydraulic lifter engines to solids. If you're not 24-reg and stuck with the Jab.-spec engine (and are happy to trade checking the valve clearances for better performance and reliability) then throw in a solid lifter cam and a CAMit kit, and enjoy your flying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a metal tick in a solid lifter engine, once per rpm, moving prop back and forth it can be repeated, dissappears after 30 deg oil temps

I'd suspect a tightening valve guide/rocker bush.

Recently a friend of mine had a couple of lifters that were soft on a 2200, the symptom was rough running at low RPM. Upon dismantling, he found one of the little internal springs collapsed on both. He subsequently replaced all of the lifters as a precaution. All good after that..

• Agree 1

I personally would not run a hydraulic lifter Jab engine, if there was an option. I have had a lifter failure in a Continental 0-300 six and with one cylinder out it wasn't failed but it wasn't going anywhere but down. It came good about 10 feet above a sea of tree stumps and climbed away. Hydraulic lifters can't fail if they are still in the box. Doing a manual reset of clearances is not difficult and IF one is acting up by changing constantly you know something is wrong. You keep a record of which valves are changing. They usually close up, so you pull the head and check what is wrong. Nev

That is telling you something. Running hydraulic lifters would be attractive to some and could have a market appeal that jabiru felt inclined to respond to. IF there's an option you don't have any trouble guessing my choice. Nev

• Agree 3