F15 lands with one wing - History Channel video

im sceptical, wikipedia, claims its true, but foolowing up on the references all point to blogs, and nothing of any serious credibility.

even the so called report from the pilot smells a bit,

The aircraft flew without control in a strange spiral. I reconnected the electric control to the control surfaces, and slowly gained control of the aircraft until I was straight and level again

How does a pilot reconnect the electric control surfaces? in flight?

all references appeared from 2010, well after the event, and i would assume all documents of authority on this incident would have originated not long after it happened.

personally, i will sit on the fence with this one, maybe it did, maybe it didnt.

He did say he came in at 250 to 300 kts from memory I know the F16 (I know, different aircraft) tears the gear off above 260 kts, so there's a lot of force at that speed and he had a lot of thrust.

I've seen a couple of the US Pilots at Avalon showing off a neat trick where they flare for landing, then lift the nose and hold it up in the air flying virtually on thrust alone and work their way along the runway to the parking area that way.

Seems VERY suss to me.

Go flying some time and observe the amount that an aileron moves and the effect it has aerodynamically on the aircraft. Then imagine removing all the lift on one side of an aircraft by removing a wing and then imagine trying to control THAT...

Uhhh, I don't think so. And the business about differential elevators... That isn't going to compensate for that much loss of lift on one side of any aircraft even if it was something like a Flying Flea.

There's also the issue of the supposed footage of the fuel spraying out of the wing root while the flight was still underway.

Oh yeah? I just had a mid-air collision and I'm struggling to control the aircraft and deciding whether to punch out and...I'll just grab my little sports cam and shoot some video of the fuel spraying out of the wing root?

Somehow, I think the pilot would have higher priorities than shooting some video to show the grandkids....

• Agree 1

im sceptical, wikipedia, claims its true, but foolowing up on the references all point to blogs, and nothing of any serious credibility.even the so called report from the pilot smells a bit,

How does a pilot reconnect the electric control surfaces? in flight?

all references appeared from 2010, well after the event, and i would assume all documents of authority on this incident would have originated not long after it happened.

personally, i will sit on the fence with this one, maybe it did, maybe it didnt.

Maybe Mossad, or the Israeli defence, covered this up and the pilot wrote this informal report afterwards?

Dunno what the fuss is all about, I flew my Winton Swingwing that only had one wing, it just happened to have one bolt in the middle and stretched across both sides of the fuselage. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

1460208067_SwingWing3.jpg.175c4047558700b532cea4ded41643b7.jpg

958997103_SwingWing6.jpg.cd86906f2197f437fd143a5cc7fd6c28.jpg

• Like 1
  • Caution 1