Aviation things in UK....

So, I'm off on my first trip to mud Island... ;)

I'm not sure if I'll have much time to go sightseeing as it's a family trip, meeting the in-laws for the first time etc, and have to keep the missus happy. We'll be based in Farnham and I was wondering what aviation related attractions are easily accessible from there. I was hoping someone familiar (other than Google) with the place would have some suggestions. Need to plan my escape if I can get away for a day or so ;) Will be based there for the next few weeks with a couple of trips to the Greek isles for good measure

Guest Crezzi

Loads of aviation museums in the UK see http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/World/Europe/UK/

The Farnborough one is pretty close and on an active airfield (mostly biz jets and not particularly friendly). The RAF museum at Hendon (north London) is definitely recommended and should be feasible by public transport.

If you can get to Duxford, the Imperial War Museum is absolutely worth the effort and is very close to the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden. Need more than one day to do justice to both though.

For actual flying, Popham is a good bet for a typical English grass airfield, Lasham is the largest gliding centre in the country and there is a more GA oriented airfield at Blackbushe.

Cheers

John

RAF Cosford Aviation Museum near Woverhampton and also near to Phil Perry is well worth a visit , also an active and people friendly airfield is Halfpenny Green , just to the South of RAF Cosford with lots of micro light and GA traffic .

It's all been said about the nearby attractions of an airborne nature. For refreshment afterwards, I heartily commend the Triple fff brewery tap at Alton (opposite the station), about 10 miles down the road. Very basic pub, brilliant beer.

Bruce