582 carbie needle setting for pre mix?

flyerme

Hey guys , I have installed the new 582 but was unable to fit the oil injection!

So I have removed pump , replaced with the plug plate from my old engine, looped the oil feed intakes to each other and now ready to set carbie needle as was told the carbie are set different for oil injection? Anyway I thought I'd be clever and just check the old carbies! No good as 1 carbie set at 3rd slot closest to clip and other carbie set at slot 2 ?

Any one know the correct slot? (Slot 1 being needle point end)for PRE MIX.

Thanks guys

Flyer,

When you add oil, to the fuel, you have a thicker mixture to get through all the jest stages of the carb, and if you leave the jets the same then the engine runs leaner, can overheat, and then your piston might join a dozen or so of mine.

Broadly speaking the idle jets control idling as we would expect, so if the engine doesn't idle as well, you usually have some screw adjustment but they may need to be replaced.

The needle taper controls about 1/4 to 3/4 rpm and this time the orifice is the ring formed as the needle lifts, so it gets bigger and bigger as you open the throttle.

The manufacturer supplies various needle tapers, so you need to start by checking the needle stamp against the workshop manual, to be sure the carb has the standard ones.

If you put the circlip in the bottom groove (needle end), then the needle jet is the richest, if you put the circlip in the top groove (butt end) the needle jet is the leanest.

Remember the needle jets control smooth acceleration, so if there is a flat spot, or engine acceleration is not smooth up to full throttle, then you start adjusting the needle slots.

In almost all cases the engine will run best with both needles in the same slots, so what you have might be a tweak, but also could be someone's forgetfulness or poor eyesight.

The main jets handle 3/4 to full throttle and as I mentioned earlier need to be adjusted with additives in the fuel, or variations to the fuel to avoid seizing etc.

Having said all that, I'd strongly recommend you check what the engine manufacturer recommends in that engine for premix, and if you aren't sure get a professional to set the three stages up for you, because if something's not right when the aircraft is under power in the air you could finish up with a forced landing. A good tuning guy will not take long if he has the parts with him.

• Informative 1

Will confirm with wal at bert flood tomorrow before break- in takes place.

My problem is not the jets! There fine and match my old 582 . Problem is for my light wing I would like to have the idle mixture set the same as it was as the old eng ran 517 hr no probs. but as mentioned they are set different on old carbies ? It would be nice to have it set up the same as I know egt temps were good.

• Like 1

My in the pic is a little on the rich side but when I repitch the prop she now runs a little under 1100 which is pretty good as far a i am concern at about 17.8 lt hour ,

Hope that help ya Tim .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Will confirm with wal at bert flood tomorrow before break- in takes place.My problem is not the jets! There fine and match my old 582 . Problem is for my light wing I would like to have the idle mixture set the same as it was as the old eng ran 517 hr no probs. but as mentioned they are set different on old carbies ? It would be nice to have it set up the same as I know egt temps were good.

Tim, all the info you need to set your engine up by the book is in that link ie clip position is the 3rd one from the top and airscrew is is wound out one turn , then set your prop pitch to load your engine to 6300rpm static (max torque ) and it should be sweet .

Jason

• Like 2

Th

Tim, all the info you need to set your engine up by the book is in that link ie clip position is the 3rd one from the top and airscrew is is wound out one turn , then set your prop pitch to load your engine to 6300rpm static (max torque ) and it should be sweet .Jason

Thanks Jason , the prop I have pitched right. Ie. 6300 rpm static on old eng. The needles are set on the third as per specs on new carbs, so I'll go with that and see ?( not sure why 1 carb on old eng different?)

I would rather do an un interrupted break in but if she needs tweaking , she needs tweaking! Keep you informed

• Like 1

I will plug in the carb balancer for pneumatic balancing AFTER run in . The mechanical balance is done . I'm hoping 1 carbie in the old eng was just set wrong .

Mate i'd just ignore what was in your old carbs and just go by the book.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I went through the 582 in my Xair when i bought it and there were two different main jets and the clip positions weren't the same,i think people start chasing their EGT gauges in 2 strokes when they should be reading their plugs ...... that's how stories about burning holes in pistons start:smile:

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ya egt are a good indication but your plugs should be a honey cone light brown White is lean and dark brown too black is rich

Both needle should be in the same slots and the u can fine tune with your mixture screws Witch only tunes your low rev as ya main jets run ya high speed .

Job done , , logged egt, cht, and water temp threw out each rpm

All perfect., then later on a short test flight.

Omg!.,super smooth and much quieter . Another short flight and head re torque and done! This arvo hopefully

• Like 2